What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Display or Other Off-The-Shelf L.E.D. Lights for Micro-Grows?

Drop That Sound

I too am going the screw in LED route now. Walmart dropped the price on there 100w equivalent bulbs down to around $9 dollars a 4 pack. Both 2.7k and 5k bulbs, so just over 2 dollars a bulb! You just can't beat it, especially for a micro grow.

The 8-9w bulbs are like $6 for a 4 pack now, and probably better for a real small space. The dollar tree store carries them for a buck as well.

All you need is a few pre wired lamp sockets if you don't want to wire it up, could get them at walmart too, or home depot, etc. The 7 way splitters off amazon would def work well, screwed into one cheap wired lamp socket.

Or just buy one of those rope lights and take the incandesent bulbs out and replace with the 8-9w SILs, and zip tie it all together and cram it in there.

Drop That Sound

P.S. The cheap clamp on or desktop lamps with a flexible tube would be awesome, so you can bend the LED bulbs around to where you want them, during different stages of growth.

I use them in my cloning chamber.. I've seen cheaper plastic ones that you can take the shroud off to save space.

Attachments

• a49714af-7584-4552-b874-493661c26807_1.34eb8dceb176bbe14ae250655210b0ae.jpeg
    a49714af-7584-4552-b874-493661c26807_1.34eb8dceb176bbe14ae250655210b0ae.jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 18

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It's hard to beat the 14w gls lamps for value.

I build 50w units using:
A citizen 1212 @ £10 (if I buy 5)
A Osram ballast @ £12
A cpu cooler @ £8

Total, a nice round £30 plus sundries (have you seen the price of a plug these days). That is something like 66p per watt.

I can build 100w with gls lamps:
7 lamps at £3 each, £21
A 7 way splitter @ £6
A clip-on domestic fitting @ £6

Total £33 for 100w, 33p per watt.

However, the 100w is rated around 110Lm/w before the cover comes off. The Citizen is around 150Lm/w. So you do need maybe a third more power to reach the same level of illumination. Leaving the 14w GLS build around 10% cheaper per Lumen. Just plug and play.

The self build needs soldering, drilling, tapping, fixings. A mount arranging and a cover would be nice. The price can climb. It's unlikely that the GLS system has any drawbacks except the space requirement, and the third more power, that's expressed as heat.

There is a 7 way splitter costing about 80% more, that gives the 6 lamps in a circle a rotating lamp holder each. This might be useful if the weight of it wants it to hang a bit differently than you might like.

Links in a thread I did on this subject just today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts