What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Switching to LED, Advice?

THC123

Veteran
Yeah I am gonna sell them to friends and buy something else.

I mean I would need more than 1000 watts to replace my HPS with viparspectra to cover my grow area of 5 x 5 ft.

Do led lights that cover 5 x 5 ft growing areas exist? (and I mean decent coverage)? I found a few that claim they cover a 5 * 5 area but I am not convinced....

THC123

Veteran
I was thinking about getting the heliospectra 600 watt lamp. It is really expensive but it is used in many professional operations. Also for my job we will use heliospectra in our facility.

I did not want to spend that much money, but after seeing how poorly the viparspectra perform, I am really considering getting one of these.

You can even customize the light spectrum strain per strain with this lamp and it covers 120 x 120 cm.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
THC.... as said i had '3' 300w vipar n they sucked.. last go around used '2' 315w cmh's bought off ebay for 190 per fixture/bulb/etc.. all included... just finished current grow, so can't give u a count yet, but i'm thinking maybe 2oz dried per plant.. not great, certainly not 1000w hps territory , but not tooo bad.. n the heat is manageable ..at least in cool weather...

THC123

Veteran
CMH or HPS is not an option for me unless I use a cooltube which takes away light.

I grow in a 5 x 5 ft tent and a 600 watt HPS gives me great yields but always heat stress, the light just radiates too much. For this reason my outdoor is always better than my indoor weed. I cannot get the climate under control.

Even in winter, when temps are okay I still notice the top buds are less sticky and smelly than the lower buds.

For this reason I want to switch to LED as I want weed that can match or be better than my greenhouse grown weed. And for this I need something that does not become too hot. LEDs are perfect for this.

I don't care about yield that much but I don't wanna waste power on electricity with underperforming lights.

Pro Headies

Veteran
Quantum board DIY project with 5 288 boards running at 750watts will replace a 1k hps. Layout the boards like the #5 dice, 4 corners and 1 in center. Built on a 42" inch frame. Buy the qb's from eBay at $50 a piece, 2 LED drivers(320-H and 480-H), heatsinks, and hanger kit. To build the frame use 2 closet shelfs cut to 42" connected with metal braces in middle. Picture is courtesy of greengrassgrower from DE to QB thread on RIU. He's running 4 boards but I think 5 would be the real 1k replacement.

Attachments

• 20180308_135311.jpg
    20180308_135311.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Koondense

Veteran
As mentioned, top quality options are diy, Timber led lights and the Fluence leds. Maybe Migro also.

Cheers

THC123

Veteran
Even the customer service of viparspectra is full of shit:

(quote)
Hi, there
Thanks for your message.
Here is the relative information about our V600 lights.
Vegetative Coverage at 32": 3x3ft
Flowering Coverage at 22": 2.5x2.5ft
As you can see above, two V600 lights just can cover 3*5 and 2.5*5 in the vegetative and flowering period in 5x5 tent. So we recommend you use 4xV600 lights in your tent.
And thousands of indoor growers feedback the V600 light can work well and its using enffciency can even replaces the 600W HPS/MH lights after they used.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.(/quote)

I mean in one mail they tell me they recommend I use 4 of these lights and in the same mail they say the V600 can replace a 600 watt? I mean what contradiction...

soil margin

Veteran
Anyone have experience with either of these? I'm guessing they're like the next generation of generic Chinese COB's? They look very similar to the old style Viparspectra models that everyone is hating on. The Hiparegro 400W looks interesting though, claims to have full spectrum COB combined with the blurple LED's. Not sure if that makes for a good light though.

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Grow-Light-Hipargero-Lighting/dp/B075XSFB5X

https://www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Spectrum-Function-Generation-Flowering/dp/B01I4NY8KW/

h.h.

Veteran
Don't like fans.
They take power, add heat, get dirty, and gum up..
Then they don't even throw a decent light on them. Veros and Cree are actually pretty cheap.
It's the heat sink that drives up the price.
Then there's the casing.
They take up real estate when I want to add more light.
Folks use them and are happy with them, but compared to what?
They cut every corner they can to keep the price at a minimum.
In my worthless opinion, cheap LEDs are expensive. They take your money and give back little in return. When they fail your expectations, you buy another one, when you could have just bought good lights to begin with.
Timber or trash.
I have my share of trash. It's like chasing the dragon.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I run 1800 watts of passive LED emitter bars as sidelights. Compact, efficient, allow air through, great spectrum, and are on their seventh year without a failure.
But they will not make good buds, they do not have the intensity required.

The overhead growlights are all fan cooled high output units. The four Dwarf Stars have two different color temperature white LEDs supplemented with red and blue diodes.
This combination is growing plants equal to the CMH and Black Dog LEDs. White and blurple together kick butt.
Six brands are currently being used, Dwarf Star is holding the number one spot, edging out Hydrogrow, Advanced XTE, Platinum P series, Intelligent Light Source, and Black Dog.

Cheap LEDs? The Dwarf Star units are $2/watt, Black Dog is $3/watt. This is quite a difference considering 3 out of 3 Black Dogs failed within 3 years and the 4 Dwarf Stars bought at the same time are still running flawlessly going on four years now.

More than just price is involved.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You will always run into problems like these when LED light sources are not evenly spraed out.
That's the main problem (or opportunity) with LED lights.
With modern efficient LEDs aim for 25-30W per sqf, but, as they penetrate less than a traditional HPS, the emitting sources need to be more spread out, so you can get closer to the plants and make up for this.
If you manage to do that, then you'll have higher light intensity at canopy level with less heat produced, less electricity used and better bud and that's what LEDs are all about
best
CC

angelgoob

I have COB units with lenses. Don't let those reflector cups fool you. Lenses MUST be superior in every way almost. Except fogging up a little!.

The lens penetrate from 4ft I can feel the light on my back through my clothing. It supports plants on the side like nothing. Low light asses and whatnot. Clones.

185 watts for two plants.

I been changing from 90 watts to 100 watts. From 3500k color temp to 1200k (real red).

The 1200k stretches my tops. The 3500k build structure. I actually think this 1200k is superior in ways of growth. Don't know how though. It does have only the red and blue..um...eh...die stuff. Chip material phosphors. yes phosphors.

And some UV. Saw webs put tops close. UVA. Doesn't kill but drives them down. my other bugs will kill it and if it's a spider then shit i've been going nuts for nothing. Coz I saw some web.

RB56

Veteran
how are MIGRO LED lights performing? how many u got? are the yields comparable to hps?
Couldn't be happier. I have six (MIGRO 600) covering a 4'x4' area. The combination of the lenses and having the ability to aim them lights my scrog perfectly. Sequence for me was 2 400 watt MH, then an Advanced LED Diamond Series XML 650 then the MIGRO 600.

The move to the Advanced LED significantly increased my yield over the two 400 MH setup. Problem I had was that eve 3 feet above the canopy, I got significant burning in the center and fall off on the edges of the 4'x4' space. I'd consider the Advanced LED unit as a direct replacement for a 1000 watt MH or HID. If I were running a large grow that would traditionally use multiple 1000s, I'd seriously consider multiple Diamond Series XML 650. Just not an ideal fit for my slightly tight spaces. I now ave it running at half power high above the plants in my veg room and it is fantastic there.

The MIGRO 600 lets me keep the lights about 12" from the plants, angled to get even coverage of everything above the screen. Really perfect for the 4'X4'. I don't think they'be be ideal for a very large grow - by design, according to the Web site, but for 4'x'4 or slightly larger and smaller, perfect.

So far I've used the MIGRO to do a Zamaldelica mother hunt. Worked well with a variety of plant sizes from veg through flower and harvest. No problems. Now I'm a couple of weeks after flip into a full run of the Zamaldelica keeper I found. No issues at all. For the first time ever, I don't want more light or better light :)

duke1992

Couldn't be happier. I have six (MIGRO 600) covering a 4'x4' area. The combination of the lenses and having the ability to aim them lights my scrog perfectly. Sequence for me was 2 400 watt MH, then an Advanced LED Diamond Series XML 650 then the MIGRO 600.

The move to the Advanced LED significantly increased my yield over the two 400 MH setup. Problem I had was that eve 3 feet above the canopy, I got significant burning in the center and fall off on the edges of the 4'x4' space. I'd consider the Advanced LED unit as a direct replacement for a 1000 watt MH or HID. If I were running a large grow that would traditionally use multiple 1000s, I'd seriously consider multiple Diamond Series XML 650. Just not an ideal fit for my slightly tight spaces. I now ave it running at half power high above the plants in my veg room and it is fantastic there.

The MIGRO 600 lets me keep the lights about 12" from the plants, angled to get even coverage of everything above the screen. Really perfect for the 4'X4'. I don't think they'be be ideal for a very large grow - by design, according to the Web site, but for 4'x'4 or slightly larger and smaller, perfect.

So far I've used the MIGRO to do a Zamaldelica mother hunt. Worked well with a variety of plant sizes from veg through flower and harvest. No problems. Now I'm a couple of weeks after flip into a full run of the Zamaldelica keeper I found. No issues at all. For the first time ever, I don't want more light or better light :)

You got me quite hyped there hahaha. Do you maybe got some pictures you can show, Bud pictures.

Thank you for the answer :)

RB56

Veteran
You got me quite hyped there hahaha. Do you maybe got some pictures you can show, Bud pictures.

Thank you for the answer :)
Didn't take any of the tester run. Probably 12+ weeks before this run is done. Hope to take some then. Have to warn yo though - I grow for myself, friends and family. Purely hobby that I don't have as much time for as I'd like to pursue. Very common to go 3-4 days without getting into the rooms. That's just to say that things are seldom optimized and sometimes get downright ugly. There will be lots of bio mass, ugly or not.

Leaving things unattended like that is another advantage of LEDs for me. Hot lights worried me. These guys run much cooler.

Latest posts

Latest posts