What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SPYDRX PLUS

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
pet... when u say u r not srogging, do u mean u r growing
au-natural???

Yes, unfortunately (or fortunately) I am finishing up my second harvest from a bunch of gifted medical grade seeds, but which strains is unknown. All 5 plants that I started from seed are all sat dominant and physically quite different

4 were much smaller than the lovely lady with 20 long branch colas that I grew under my SPYDR 600. Her very bottom (~ 40" below the 600) weighed in at > 2 oz dry

Of the others, the top cola (pic 2) weighed in at 93gms wet, all tolled that plant will probably yield less than 2 ounces dry, though no doubt a most enjoyable strain that smells a bit like rotting grapefruit. The other one in that tent, the top cola is ~ 2/3 as big, without much underneath

And finally, the last which I began harvesting the lowest branches today. Probably 4 ounces dry

All 3 combined will not equal the weight of the Diesel, but I have 5 of her seedlings (result of my pollinating with a Diesel male) that are ~ 35 days old

Drop by my thread when you have time

View attachment 409368 View attachment 409369 View attachment 409370 View attachment 409371

jocat

New Spyders have arrived & none to soon as the spring is bringing some heat to defeat, with these latest 2 my total spyder count is now 6 with 2 vxprx & 4 1000w DE/HPS Gavi's I will still end up flipping to night shift to save on AC power, vent at night/ CO2 during lights on, I will be swapping the vxprx into the veg room to replace another 1000w DE/HPS gavi, my veg light & after payday getting 2 more spyders...and so on until I have all LED and then we get to the vertical settup for my 2000 sq ft red white & blue patriot barn, OH YA! gotta show your colors, this project will turn the 2000 sq ft into 4 with the vert split. If I could only clone myself & the wife.

Buddler

Veteran
New Spyders have arrived & none to soon as the spring is bringing some heat to defeat, with these latest 2 my total spyder count is now 6 with 2 vxprx

Thanks Jocat your review on the SPYDR Sold me got a couple lined up..:tiphat:Bud

jocat

I have been enjoying all the benefits of these LED's. My latest electric bill shows around 15% savings for the months kilowatt hrs. add that to the denser buds & higher yields & they will pay for the investment pretty darn quickly. I did find that hanging them alone has a few tricks. The last two I put up I hung all the hooks in a straight line first, a laser would make this a snap, if your OCD like I am I can't stand them hung out of alignment with each other. I used the rope/pulley hangers & they make raising the lights, and you will do this more than you would with other lighting setups, there designed to run 6" above the canopy, really easy. I hung them with the adjusters down, I can release them easy that way. After setting the hooks & locating the power cords so they hang where they should, then I hung the body of the beast (ballest) first, then attached ea light bar one at a time, connected the plugs & viola she's one sexy light, you know the grow bug has you when you feel that way about equipment/tools. I want more!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I have been enjoying all the benefits of these LED's. My latest electric bill shows around 15% savings for the months kilowatt hrs. add that to the denser buds & higher yields & they will pay for the investment pretty darn quickly.

15% electric savings.... that sucks... from all i read i thought it would be in the 50/70 range... them buds better be a lot denser to compensate for 4x the cost of the fixture over a 1000watter

Buddler

Veteran
It s more than the power savings no bulbs to replace or ballasts , no HVAC short nodes and good returns on the GPW .Plus run them vertical .Higher quality product .Sounds sweet to me just saying..

jocat

When plugged in to a watt meter, they pull 660W@ 110, you can plug them into 110/220 if you match the plug. They produce less heat you supply less AC power. The light is about 100% better for working around ( i hate RED light ) the only thing that sucks is waiting for them to show after ordering, best lights Iv'e grown under, hands down.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
When plugged in to a watt meter, they pull 660W@ 110, you can plug them into 110/220 if you match the plug. They produce less heat you supply less AC power. The light is about 100% better for working around ( i hate RED light ) the only thing that sucks is waiting for them to show after ordering, best lights Iv'e grown under, hands down.

and quality is what we r all looking for....i just thought the elect savings was more.... but when u look at the overall... no ballast, bulbs dimming etc... maybe they are worth the extra $$$ ...

Muleskinner

Veteran
I have to say, after being skeptical for 10 years I am now totally smitten by LED lighting, I love it! For a small hobby grower it makes total sense, I'm not worried about ROI, my whole grow-op operates at a loss.

It's so much nicer to work under good LED's than HPS. The harsh glare of the HPS light is awful. I love opening the tent and seeing the LED in there, it feels like mood lighting at a dance club instead of a glaring streetlight. You can't quantify how much nicer it is to have 320w of LED in your tent instead of 600w of HPS.

No question the internode length is much shorter than under HPS. You realize HPS alone was never a good spectrum for growing. It really needs to be combined with MH to get the spectrum right. My 600w Gavita stretched the shit out of my plants, they couldn't fit into a 6.5 foot tent under HPS. Shorter internodes means the plants are smaller in width as well as height, so you can fit more in.

Also I'm realizing the coverage area is way better with light-bar style fixtures. A single, central HPS reflector only lights the top of the colas, the bottoms are shadowed. With the light bar beaming light along a 3 or 4-foot long length, lower buds receive direct light from the diodes further down the bar. As a result you get denser nugs farther down into the canopy.

A commercial op with hundreds of lights takes care of these issues by installing some portion of MH lights and overlapping fixtures to provide even coverage. For smaller grows that's not feasible.

Last edited:

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've been using COB led lights for a year or so now and still plan to get a SpyderX at some point down the road. The light spread and spectrum is really the best out there.

-Funk

TahoeTops

I bought two SpydrX-Plus fixtures in February. I have been using them all year long and I have to say I am extremely impressed with the results. So far I have been running unknown strains but starting in January, I will be doing a run of Ken's GDP.

I am now waiting for them to send me a dimmer!

jocat

Spyder update

Spyder update

Iv'e been lighting my space with 12 spyders & 4 Gavitas. the LED's are right down on the canopy, the Gavitas at ceiling height, 9' set at 1000w and mostly for the heat

Attachments

• 1029170916.jpg
    1029170916.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 1029170918b.jpg
    1029170918b.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 0902170612a.jpg
    0902170612a.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 62

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Iv'e been lighting my space with 12 spyders & 4 Gavitas. the LED's are right down on the canopy, the Gavitas at ceiling height, 9' set at 1000w and mostly for the heat

Had to stand on my head to view lol

3/14/18 edit: Note in your light photo th red didoes in each bar line up with the ones net to it. Unfortunately, their design is based on a 12" section multiplied by 4, meaning all same spectrum diodes line up with each other. I staggered every other bar ! 6" to spread the reds

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
Gotta order a spydrx plus..Skeptical about switching out my HPS bulbs, but gonna order 2 to see how they compare. Spoke with the tech over at fluence for 30 min, and they really know there shit. We'll see

OP

jocat

Just finished a nice batch with spyders over 4 by 8 trays, 1.7 gpw. these are just over 12 months old & have been running in flower continually without any issues. The expense really demands flawless performance or why would you spend the dollars? I am working on some pic's...

THC123

Veteran
I have a 5x5 tent and I am thinking about going for the Spydrx Plus because I like the design and even light coverage.

Just one question.

They say it covers 4 x 4 feet. So would one of these be ok for a 5 x 5 feet room? Will there be some light that goes to the sides ? If not I will have to use one more LED to cover the 1x1 feet that the spydrx doenst cover.

I am not growing commercially so weight is not so important but I just want to know if I could fill my entire 5 x 5 ft tent with the Spydrx.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a 5x5 tent and I am thinking about going for the Spydrx Plus because I like the design and even light coverage.

Just one question.

They say it covers 4 x 4 feet. So would one of these be ok for a 5 x 5 feet room? Will there be some light that goes to the sides ? If not I will have to use one more LED to cover the 1x1 feet that the spydrx doenst cover.

I am not growing commercially so weight is not so important but I just want to know if I could fill my entire 5 x 5 ft tent with the Spydrx.

The perimeter ~ 6-10" of any led is much weaker because it is not being reinforced by another row of leds often being half the umols of the inner measurement @~ 12".

It is not likely that that part of each plant grows straight up, or have as much bud per stem, unless you are also blasting the perimeter.

IMO, much to do about nothing, meaning the cost of the second light is probably not going to give the ROI

hth

eric2028

Veteran
im also trying out the spydrxplus. seems pretty nice so far, were about week 7 or so. I have the spydr in place of a traditional 1,000 watt hps fixture. its an 18k room.
picture.php

spydr is in the right rear of the room, a few weeks ago.

picture.php

close ups a few weeks later.

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
im also trying out the spydrxplus. seems pretty nice so far, were about week 7 or so. I have the spydr in place of a traditional 1,000 watt hps fixture. its an 18k room.
View Image
spydr is in the right rear of the room, a few weeks ago.

View Image
close ups a few weeks later.

Sweet man...Is the yield looking like its gonna be pretty good or average?

OP

eric2028

Veteran
Sweet man...Is the yield looking like its gonna be pretty good or average?

OP

It’s hard to say for sure. They look to be normal size. The penetration also looks good. I’d be happy with average. My thought is, it’s less juice, less ac, and it will be Doubled space because we ll stack em. I ll def keep everyone posted on the results.