What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

various papers on LED, and one from helio update

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought this to be interesting, maybe playing with blue at startup from helio:

The stomata are the pores usually found underneath in the outer layer, or epidermis, of the leaves. They function as the plants lungs by taking in CO2 and releasing oxygen and water, thus controlling gas exchange and photosynthesis. The stomata open in the morning and close up over the course of the day. Knowing how the stomata function allows growers to use them to improve plant health and biomass.

First, the stomata respond to blue light. At the CEAC LED Symposium in Tucson, AZ we learned about exposing crops to a moderate level of blue light for ~30 minutes before the normal photoperiod begins. Doing so allows for the stomata to open fully and “get ready for business.” The plant can start the gas exchange the moment they are exposed to full spectrum light. This proves especially helpful in growing environments using CO2 to increase yields.
If you want to begin testing stomata manipulation by introducing a 30 minute wake up period, one would need to pay close attention to humidity, a potential slight increase in potassium levels (K+), and available water to the roots. Increasing the intake of CO2 will increase transpiration, also controlled by the stomata, and eventual water uptake from the roots. Thus, in times of limited water the plant will sacrifice CO2 intake and slow photosynthesis. It is therefore important that growers find a balance between water, CO2 and stomata manipulation.

A second noted benefit of “blue light wake-ups”

If you have a hungry plant or a sudden specific nutrient deficiency, you can use the open stomata to apply a foliar fertilizer to the undersides of the leaves. This is a way to rapidly deliver nutrients.

In general, the morning is the best time to utilize this technique and the blue light stimulation can further enhance the benefits. The stomata are wide open and it gives a chance for the plants to dry.

Interestingly enough, the stomata are used to determine the CO2 concentrations in paleo environments. In atmospheres with higher concentrations of CO2 there are fewer stomata on the plants in the fossil record. In paleo environments low in CO2, more stomata were needed to ensure enough gas uptake to effectively ensure photosynthesis.

----------

now other is some papers and more on THIS SITE, some under publication, and some if you just scroll down from the home page, I can't make out half of it, so please share if you understand any of it.. haha

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This would be effective for those using red only, say during the flowering cycle

LED companies, like Amare Tech blends cool white into their panels, providing a more full spectrum throughout. The part of their panels used to veg is mostly white, with some reds to enhance root development and to assist growing

Once the plant approaches the desired height, flowering is initiated by turning on additional reds (on a separate switch) which furthers stretch and fattens up the buds

jfk123

Hola me han recomendado este foro y e visto que hablas del panel de helio soy nuevo y me gustaria preguntarte algunas cosas respecto al panel de heliospectra

tenthirty

Nice link.....thanks!

A blast of blue at the wake up call should complement the far red blast at bed time.

Cool!!!

hmmmm.....how long should the blast of blue be?

Also what do you want to know about the site, I'll read it and try to understand and explain it in plain english.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice link.....thanks!

A blast of blue at the wake up call should complement the far red blast at bed time.

Cool!!!

hmmmm.....how long should the blast of blue be?

Also what do you want to know about the site, I'll read it and try to understand and explain it in plain english.

Sorry, wrong reply

Last edited: