What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long to purge?

slowandeasy

Veteran
Hello, I just got a new Vac pump and chamber. It is a 2 gal chamber, with a mastercool pump that is 6CFM. I was just wondering about how long I should purge? I can add a little heat if needed. Obviously there are numerous factors, but a rough estimate would be sweet. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks! slowandeasy

Thanks, for approx how long?

I think those temps are too high actually. I try to keep temps at around 90F .....pull a vacuum until the activity ceases, then turn off the vacuum and let it sit overnight. In the morning I'll remove the slab, flip and repeat for about 3-4 times per side. This takes about a week. I know some people will keep the pump on for several days but I think that is just a waste of energy. I'm no expert by any stretch but my method yields PPM's at around 100 ............. winterized oil I might add. I'm using a similar setup as you are by the way ....... my slabs are 20-30 grams..... small volumes.

slowandeasy

Veteran
I think those temps are too high actually. I try to keep temps at around 90F .....pull a vacuum until the activity ceases, then turn off the vacuum and let it sit overnight. In the morning I'll remove the slab, flip and repeat for about 3-4 times per side. This takes about a week. I know some people will keep the pump on for several days but I think that is just a waste of energy. I'm no expert by any stretch but my method yields PPM's at around 100 ............. winterized oil I might add. I'm using a similar setup as you are by the way ....... my slabs are 20-30 grams..... small volumes.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't think it would take a week. But I also think I heard like 105f or something lime that, so that would speed it up a little.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't think it would take a week. But I also think I heard like 105f or something lime that, so that would speed it up a little.

I rotate probably (6-7) strains at a time through my system is why it might take more time. I'm really just trying to dial in a process at this point. What I'm really attempting to do is come up with a process that can purge down to 100 PPM or less on a constant basis in the shortest time possible. The two options are either leaving a slab in an oven untouched for days or frequent flips and purges. It "seems" to me that frequent flips speeds things up.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Different strokes........ My partner Pharmer Joe brings his up to temperature to liquify and then drops back down to finish within a day.

At Medizin Maker's shakedown, we purged Agent Orange cotton candy from a Mk IVC to below 10% of FDA residual solvent standards in four hours at 115F and -29.5Hg, producing a highly aromatic shatter.

Different strokes........ My partner Pharmer Joe brings his up to temperature to liquify and then drops back down to finish within a day.

At Medizin Maker's shakedown, we purged Agent Orange cotton candy from a Mk IVC to below 10% of FDA residual solvent standards in four hours at 115F and -29.5Hg, producing a highly aromatic shatter.

I wonder if the process to try and remove ethanol from a winterized product is more time consuming then a non-winterized one that only has butane in it?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Thank you brother Gray Wolf.

Post it around gentleman....

And with it comes a superbly quotable phrase, "up to temperature to liquify."

Old Gold

I wonder if the process to try and remove ethanol from a winterized product is more time consuming then a non-winterized one that only has butane in it?

At the same temperatures (and vacuum pressure), yes it is. Refer to the above statements about liquefying the oil - and of course, the bubbles created by solvent boiling.
Oh, LET IT BE HEARD :off2: that you can winterize with butane.

Gray Wolf said:

Nice! Assumedly clean gas...
Someone do me a favor and distill (or safely "dump") 20lbs of canned gas and purge only that at ~90-95°F for a few hours at a time until there is absolutely no odor and no taste. My gear is being used, I would really like to get around to this again.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Yes, ethanol is harder to remove than butane. Besides the higher boiling point, it has high surface tension mixed with cannabis oil, so blows huge bubbles that don't want to burst.

Yes, ethanol is harder to remove than butane. Besides the higher boiling point, it has high surface tension mixed with cannabis oil, so blows huge bubbles that don't want to burst.

It is a different animal to be sure. I can purge for 30 minutes until all activity stops and it becomes as smooth as a plane of water .......... pull the slab, let it sit for 2 hours at room temp, place the slab back in the chamber without doing anything to it, purge again and it boils like the dickens all over again. Weird .....