What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Filling recovery tank with butane cans and presure gauge

Greetings again, since i want to limit any change of blowing my self up I'd really like to get your input on my recovery tank and what options I should get to make sure I'm all set. So here is my cls that is on the way

img_3884.jpg

I have a master case of butane in cans that I am going to add to the tank shown in the pic when it arrives. I need to know what lines and tools I should use to add the tane to the tank. I planned on getting a can tap and shooting each can into the cls since that will remove any mystery oil, correct?

Can i just use the hose that comes with the cls and connect it to the can tap and then run it to the top of the cls and tap the can then repeat until full?

Its a 30# tank so i know how much butane it can hold and how many cans to shoot and passively moving it back to the tank is no problem so really my concern is getting the cans in the system to clean the gas and what other hoses/gauges/tees i might need. Is a pressure gauge so I can tell the pressure in the recovery tank needed as well? Is there one you can recommend?

Any benefit in getting a tee or manifold for the recovery tank? I know I have been asking a bunch of questions but I appreciate the heads up and so does my wife :) I will not do my first run until I feel fully confident no fireballs will occur lol thus the many questions.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Greetings again, since i want to limit any change of blowing my self up I'd really like to get your input on my recovery tank and what options I should get to make sure I'm all set. So here is my cls that is on the way

View Image

I have a master case of butane in cans that I am going to add to the tank shown in the pic when it arrives. I need to know what lines and tools I should use to add the tane to the tank. I planned on getting a can tap and shooting each can into the cls since that will remove any mystery oil, correct?

Can i just use the hose that comes with the cls and connect it to the can tap and then run it to the top of the cls and tap the can then repeat until full?

Its a 30# tank so i know how much butane it can hold and how many cans to shoot and passively moving it back to the tank is no problem so really my concern is getting the cans in the system to clean the gas and what other hoses/gauges/tees i might need. Is a pressure gauge so I can tell the pressure in the recovery tank needed as well? Is there one you can recommend?

Any benefit in getting a tee or manifold for the recovery tank? I know I have been asking a bunch of questions but I appreciate the heads up and so does my wife :) I will not do my first run until I feel fully confident no fireballs will occur lol thus the many questions.

I do not have this one, but something like this. Can side tap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R-134a-R22-R12-Refrigerant-2-In-1-Side-Punch-AC-Can-Tap-/272180677991?hash=item3f5f3b8d67:g:zvgAAOSwYmZXNNSl&vxp=mtr

A 30 lb tank does not hold 30 lbs of butane!!! At 80% water weight, it only holds 12 lbs of tane!

Thanks norpene I should have been more specific. Offically the tank is called a 30# tank but I know it holds around 2/3 less then that in butane. Another bit of info I can thank icmag for :biggrin: I do appreciate the post though for those who might not know.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks norpene I should have been more specific. Offically the tank is called a 30# tank but I know it holds around 2/3 less then that in butane. Another bit of info I can thank icmag for :biggrin: I do appreciate the post though for those who might not know.

Umm, not 2/3rd! It holds 30# of water or about 18# of .601SpG n-Butane full, but as NPS notes, at a legal 80% fill, only about 14.4 lbs.

Last edited:
Umm, not 2/3rd! It holds 30# of water or about 18# of .601SpG n-Butane full, but as NPS notes, at a legal 80% fill, only about 14.4 lbs.

Thanks gw I always in my head just said Kerri it cost to 10# of butane just to be safe but I guess that's why I'm looking for advice for what gauges and manifolds are thought best to have so no guessing is needed and safely can be a certainty. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Latest posts