What's new

Question about odor when working with the plants

FLupp27

If I have a tent in my bedroom and then I open the tent to work on the plants is that odor going to be controlled by a carbon filter or will it leak out into the room? this is a huge concern for me and with no experience I cannot tell if I need a second line of odor control.(My gf isnt very happy please help me calm her down!!!!)

You can double up one line for the tent and another exhaust with smell control for the room. I've personally only done it in the tent, single line... and know at times my whole place was smelling up.

Scrappy-doo

The short answer is yes the smell will escape out of the tent and into your room. There are easy ways to remedy this.

The easiest cheapest and most effective way is to just vent the clean exhaust from your filter into another room or out the window. This will create negative pressure in the entire room so no smell will get out into the other rooms or your neighbors noses. This is what I do and you never smell anything unless you are inside the room.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I've got some chem d in a room. Have a new filter and fan in the room. Air flow come from a separate room, through the lights, and out the ceiling, through a 8 inch corona discharge(1 cell unit) inline duct, then through 25 ft of duct work. the outer room has 2 carbon filters that run 24/7. I've got smell outside the house.
Soon as this run is chopped I've got some updating to do for the odor control.
Point is, sometimes the reek is so bad no matter what you do it's hard to contain.
The smell has a mind of it's own sometimes. Also, living in the house you grow in, you kinda get used to the smell. You don't realize that your clothes and anything else in the room picks up the smell that coworkers and friends will give you funny looks about.
So, if living in the space you grow in, you're gonna have to be vigilant about your odor control.
Just my 2 cent

Scrappy-doo

Yeah if you have super stinky strains you should oversize your scrubbers. Mine has twice the cfm rating as my fan. No problems here. A little ona in your exhaust room never hurts though.

FLupp27

Thank you! I will have to research what fans are best for my setup and then double it.... The negative pressure may be an issue due to the small area I will have but its worth trying!

FLupp27

What if I used a carbon filter and a fan for the intake as well as the exhaust would that suck the smell up as it comes out? any thoughts

Granger2

Veteran
Filtering intake air would only remove smells in your intake air. It would be a waste. Better to have more than adequate filtering of exhaust air. Good luck. -granger

mowood3479

Veteran
I agree with all or most all of the above posts but would add carbon filters lose effectiveness over time.. I had a few rooms I could smell late in flower outside the house by the exhaust but after buying new filters .. No smell at all, at least for a few runs.
Not that I smell it at all usually but my old lady has a nose like a bloodhound n she starts in with the bitchin... So know I just keep a new spare handy. Ozone generators are helpful to for non lived in spaces..

FLupp27

negative pressure

negative pressure

Will this kind of setup create enough negative pressure? I want to do a space bucket with a brute and have enough room to work and then filter air out of whatever I end up using to put it in.

Attachments

• negative pressure.jpg
    negative pressure.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 10

chomsky

I scrub the air in the grow room with a good clean carbon filter and by leaving the intake of my light hood open, I suck the air in the room through my light and shoot it outside. That keeps the hot (relatively clean) air in the top of my grow room and the heat from the light pumping outside the house.

Latest posts

Latest posts