What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Self Sufficiency, Minor Rant.

Mr.Miner

Man.

I cannot wait to be in a place where I can set-up my own thing and get back to gardening. It is going to be a couple of years away but today I got motivated to step on the gas- maybe a second job is in order (at 43 years old). Debt is what is keeping me put for the time being. I have a ball-and-chain of a student loan (37,000 left on 100,000- its getting there) and a car loan for a sports car that I got right at the beginning of a mid-life crisis- haha...The student loan is what it is but the car most likely needs to go so I can get my ass to a state where I can be free. Pronto.

So, I picked up my first bag in 15 years, today, and it was a real let-down. The smell of it is great but zero visible trikes and two bills for a half that looks and feels like a quarter. Fml as the kids say. haha...Since I have been out of it for so long I have not made new contacts and this came along, so...you know. I had that oh-so-familiar feeling of 'well, I hope the next one will be better' and 'maybe I should give who's-his-face a ring'. Reliance on anyone else other than myself and the unpredictability of quality made me take up gardening in the first place and I cannot wait to get back there. I miss it so, so much and today reinforced that even further.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

ronbo51

Veteran
Move to Maine and setup shop there. You can rent an old farmstead for cheap. Try and find one with an ag building. There are plenty. Get a card from a doctor. Grow your 6 plants. 60 day veg. Clones, moms and non flowering replacements don't count as your 6. Stick to 60 day strains. 6 cycles a year. 12 elbows a cycle. Find a few folks who need a caregiver to grow for them. Get their cards and grow their 6 up to 36 flowering females. 36 plants times 2 pounds per plant times 6 cycles per year =432 pounds per year. Take into consideration that Boston, with the largest college population of any US city, and that pretty much every kid who goes to those schools is a spoiled brat from well off families and does expect to pay top dollar for good weed, provides an unlimited high end market, and well Mr Minor you are pretty much in the drivers seat to chart any future you may or may not be able to imagine.

Green Squall

sounds like a classic case of beasters to me. OK smell, decent looking, but no trichomes and looks like the weight is lacking because it is so moist/dense... Good luck with your future move. There's more and more medical/decrim states every year, so options won't be lacking!

Mr.Miner

^ Thanks very much! I am New England bound. I've been going there for years and I always feel at home up there. Thanks again.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
..new England kicks ass.. lax mj laws anyhow...grew lots of weed there...you can grow any where any time if so inclined.. I once grew under my bed....yeehaw

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Hey there Mr Miner, damn that sucks! I also have been seeing some lousy weed. Smells strong looks ok and does not get you high. Luckily I didn't buy any, but someone I know always has it and therefore I wind up smoking it.

Maine is cool for sure, although Boston is not in Maine, whoever said that.

I love New England, its the finest place in the world as far as I am concerned.

You should move now and get to growing so you can pay that loan off faster!

Best vibes bro!

Mr.Miner

Hey Les- Thanks, man. It truly was a bummer to get this as my first pick-up in 15 years. 15!...apparently the guy has 'something different' every month so wish me the best for August. Haha...Maine is a great place, for sure. I have been going there since I was a kid and two of my friends live up there but I never quite felt at home. Vermont on the other hand...aaahh....daydreaming.
I would move in a flash if I could but the housing market is flooded down here and we would be paying out of pocket at closing- which adds to things... I guess I have to be patient but it never quite suited me. In the meantime, however, I am hoarding the best beans I can find. It keeps me excited and motivated...
Thanks again!

Green Squall

Vermont is nice. I always get an extremely peaceful vibe up there. Whether it's the Green Mountains area or Lake Champlain up north you can't go wrong. Not crazy about NH...don't know why.

Sforza

Veteran
at 43 years old a student loan (37,000 left on 100,0000) and a car loan for a sports car

Sounds like you made some really bad decisions. Did you get a master's degree in fine art or something to run up so much student debt and not pay it off a long time ago? Get rid of the sports car and get a beater. You are on the right track about the second job. Start delivering pizzas until you can get your student loan paid off. Have you ever listened to Dave Ramsey? You need to start following him to help you get out of debt.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Thank you Mr. Miner!! :bow: :bow:(assuming a Phish reference)

:bis:

Vermont is spectacular. I also love New Hampshire and Maine with most of New York thrown in as well.

If you truly are New England bound I for one salute you! :joint:

As towards the root of the thread and topic of your rant let me say this:

I just started buying for the first time in eight years and the market has taught me two things.

1: This shit is expensive!!

2: I should grow it!!

I totally get having to find new digs man. They're out there.

:friends:

Mr.Miner

Sounds like you made some really bad decisions. Did you get a master's degree in fine art or something to run up so much student debt and not pay it off a long time ago? Get rid of the sports car and get a beater. You are on the right track about the second job. Start delivering pizzas until you can get your student loan paid off. Have you ever listened to Dave Ramsey? You need to start following him to help you get out of debt.

Thanks for the response but going to college at 28 years old was one of the best decisions of my life- not that I need to justify my life to anyone. The cost benefit of my degree has worked in my favor extremely well and the college that I attended was a dream of mine since I was a kid...The debt I have is manageable as it relates to my salary but I want to be rid of it sooner in order to live my life as I truly want to.
The sports car is a second car- it isn't my daily driver by a long stretch and it has quite a bit of equity in it. That car too is a dream of mine- realized- and I could sit tight for a few more years and have it paid or pull the string and split now.
Mine is not a case of being swallowed whole by foolish decisions, though I empathize with those who find themselves in that situation. Each person and situation is different, no?

Mr.Miner

Thank you Mr. Miner!! :bow: :bow:(assuming a Phish reference)

:bis:

Vermont is spectacular. I also love New Hampshire and Maine with most of New York thrown in as well.

If you truly are New England bound I for one salute you! :joint:

As towards the root of the thread and topic of your rant let me say this:

I just started buying for the first time in eight years and the market has taught me two things.

1: This shit is expensive!!

2: I should grow it!!

I totally get having to find new digs man. They're out there.

:friends:

Thanks very much! I really look forward to being up there. I truly love it and the culture there...I concur with what you said. Shoot, I didn't even smoke it. Haha...Thanks again.

And 'yes'- regarding the reference....Thank you Mr. Hood......

LEF

Veteran
Good luck my man

Did your students loan get you a job to be able to pay off the debt ?

Seems like you only got 1/3 left so thats good I think

As for the sports car, I think its understandable if you say you went through a crisis

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Man.

I cannot wait to be in a place where I can set-up my own thing and get back to gardening. It is going to be a couple of years away but today I got motivated to step on the gas- maybe a second job is in order (at 43 years old). Debt is what is keeping me put for the time being. I have a ball-and-chain of a student loan (37,000 left on 100,000- its getting there) and a car loan for a sports car that I got right at the beginning of a mid-life crisis- haha...The student loan is what it is but the car most likely needs to go so I can get my ass to a state where I can be free. Pronto.

So, I picked up my first bag in 15 years, today, and it was a real let-down. The smell of it is great but zero visible trikes and two bills for a half that looks and feels like a quarter. Fml as the kids say. haha...Since I have been out of it for so long I have not made new contacts and this came along, so...you know. I had that oh-so-familiar feeling of 'well, I hope the next one will be better' and 'maybe I should give who's-his-face a ring'. Reliance on anyone else other than myself and the unpredictability of quality made me take up gardening in the first place and I cannot wait to get back there. I miss it so, so much and today reinforced that even further.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

I'm not getting why you can't set up something small where you are at to hold you over for a better grow down the road. I remember on OverGrow a grow thread where this college kid basically grew a plant in the corner of a closet in his dorm with a four foot dual bulb shoplight leaning diagonally against the wall. He didn't get much but it was pretty decent with plenty of visible trichs. If you can go 15 years without I'm sure you could manage to do a small, inexpensive grow somewhere that would satisfy your needs.

Mr.Miner

^ Thanks LEF. Yes, the degree I received got me the job that I have today and my salary has almost tripled since before attending school. I am a chef and I went to the CIA for an Associates and then a Bachelors degree. Some of the best chefs in the world never attended culinary school but I am not one of them- haha...My time at school was worth the price of admission alone. The experiences, information and exposure was mind-blowing. After graduation I landed an apprenticeship at a restaurant out in the Napa Valley called The French Laundry which was an experience I will never forget and for which I will always be grateful. I don't think that I would have had that opportunity to do that had I not gone to culinary school. I really didn't care about such things prior to attending school but fortunately my attitude and outlook on things was rocked when I did- and it got me chomping at the bit to pursue things outside of my comfort zone.
Thanks again for the nice comments, all. I appreciate them, sincerely. PM if you are in the market for a fast, black, German sports car. Haha...If I do decide to keep it I can sell it for a great truck once I get north.

Mr.Miner

I'm not getting why you can't set up something small where you are at to hold you over for a better grow down the road. I remember on OverGrow a grow thread where this college kid basically grew a plant in the corner of a closet in his dorm with a four foot dual bulb shoplight leaning diagonally against the wall. He didn't get much but it was pretty decent with plenty of visible trichs. If you can go 15 years without I'm sure you could manage to do a small, inexpensive grow somewhere that would satisfy your needs.

^ Thanks, yes that would be sweet for sure- I wish that I could, but I own a home with my girlfriend in a state that is ridiculously tough on mj and she holds a professional medical license that would be at risk as well.

Latest posts

Latest posts