What's new

Safe to trim first stems and leaves @ 2.5 weeks?

Jestocost

I've got three plants thriving. Their tops are beginning to explode, and the lower sets of leaves - with one and three - are being shaded, taking up some space, and looking a little stale.

Is it safe to trim the first two sets - the stems with one and three leaves - at 2.5 weeks?

Can I leave the new growth shoots safely?

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_20200317_2240077.jpg
    IMG_20200317_2240077.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200317_2240116.jpg
    IMG_20200317_2240116.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200317_2240154.jpg
    IMG_20200317_2240154.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200317_2240253.jpg
    IMG_20200317_2240253.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200317_2240325.jpg
    IMG_20200317_2240325.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 24
G

They will grow just fine after plucking, but.
At the stage your plants are at I am growing for root mass and heavy pruning will slow root growth so I let ithem grow as much biomass as possible so it grows a large rootball, and trim only the lowest leaves/branches as needed to keep it clean.

Jestocost

They will grow just fine after plucking, but.
At the stage your plants are at I am growing for root mass and heavy pruning will slow root growth so I let ithem grow as much biomass as possible so it grows a large rootball, and trim only the lowest leaves/branches as needed to keep it clean.

I appreciate your response. I'm going to make these mothers, so compact size is a priority, and root growth - as fast as possible - not so much.

Do those parameters change your response at all?

Hope you have a good day.

imakandi

I've got three plants thriving. Their tops are beginning to explode, and the lower sets of leaves - with one and three - are being shaded, taking up some space, and looking a little stale.

Is it safe to trim the first two sets - the stems with one and three leaves - at 2.5 weeks?

Can I leave the new growth shoots safely?

Thanks for your time.

hello
jetocst

if can say opinion
no touch plant
too little

wait for 6-7 node
before any cut

wish luck to you
:)
:huggg:

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
The veging phase is the most important phase of a grow IMHO. The veging phase is for the manufacturing of roots, lots and lots of roots, to support plant life. So you need as many "solar panels" as you can get. Those lower leaves will drop by themselves, an indication that the "plant" doesn't need 'em anymore.

During this time you allow things to simply grow. If you want to top, it is normally carried out after the 4th node. Then, through LST you can keep you plants compact.

Yes, defoliation should only happen before the flip, once in flower, defoliation should only be as "necessary" (allowing light to bud sites), keeping in mind that it takes a couple of days to recover.

Lately I am playing around with manifolding. My 1st run was my best grow to date, but... I could have veged longer (currently 8 weeks vice the former 6). I cleared all major fan leaves below the tops that didn't go directly to supporting the colas, as they require to be fed as well. A mistake, in general sense. I am utilizing a different approach on this run.

The following pics are taken from the same time line.

picture.php

day 5 of flower (1st run)

picture.php

Day 5 (bloom) this run. 23 bud sites at canopy level from 8 tops e.g 8 main colas. I only removed 5-6 solar panels that were interfering, but tucked others out of the way. This plant was veged for 8 weeks vice 6 BUT, more importantly, I allowed the girl to develop without interference.

As I grow for myself, I don't "churn and burn" so to speak. I also do not count weeks like some do:

• a seedling is a seedling to me. A lot of folks start counting their weeks from the time the plant pierces the soil. I don't;
  • week 1 of veg is after I have 4 serrated leaves;
  • week 8 of veg is my transition week, making week 9, week 1 of bloom. Then I bloom IAW mfr recommendation but I am flexible. I let my plants tell me when to harvest; and
  • that being said, my final 2 weeks of bloom I am flushing.
Hope this helps :tiphat:

ETA: The longer you veg, the more sexually active your plants will be (horny), and bud sites develop in days vice weeks.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
This is what the girls look like @ day 10 of bloom

picture.php

3x3x6' tent. 3 gal cloth pots (HP Promix). 78 deg F and 55% RH. Running at 800 umols. Nutes = Remo

picture.php

Those big fan leaves are "solar panels". They don't interfere with the bud sites. Judicious positioning in the tent, is also key IMHO. That "right back" pot is on a 2" pedestal to keep the canopy uniform. The grill ensures proper ventilation below the pot. I don't have issues there as I FDDWDDF (Feed, Dry, Water,) I prefer easy access to my plants, hence why I don't scrog. I prefer to work "off" my hands and knees. I move them to the top of my freezer, for watering and maintenance. A hell of a lot easier dontcha think? :tiphat:

Jestocost

The veging phase is the most important phase of a grow IMHO. The veging phase is for the manufacturing of roots, lots and lots of roots, to support plant life. So you need as many "solar panels" as you can get. Those lower leaves will drop by themselves, an indication that the "plant" doesn't need 'em anymore.

During this time you allow things to simply grow. If you want to top, it is normally carried out after the 4th node. Then, through LST you can keep you plants compact.

Yes, defoliation should only happen before the flip, once in flower, defoliation should only be as "necessary" (allowing light to bud sites), keeping in mind that it takes a couple of days to recover.

Lately I am playing around with manifolding. My 1st run was my best grow to date, but... I could have veged longer (currently 8 weeks vice the former 6). I cleared all major fan leaves below the tops that didn't go directly to supporting the colas, as they require to be fed as well. A mistake, in general sense. I am utilizing a different approach on this run.

The following pics are taken from the same time line.

View Image
day 5 of flower (1st run)

View Image
Day 5 (bloom) this run. 23 bud sites at canopy level from 8 tops e.g 8 main colas. I only removed 5-6 solar panels that were interfering, but tucked others out of the way. This plant was veged for 8 weeks vice 6 BUT, more importantly, I allowed the girl to develop without interference.

As I grow for myself, I don't "churn and burn" so to speak. I also do not count weeks like some do:

• a seedling is a seedling to me. A lot of folks start counting their weeks from the time the plant pierces the soil. I don't;
  • week 1 of veg is after I have 4 serrated leaves;
  • week 8 of veg is my transition week, making week 9, week 1 of bloom. Then I bloom IAW mfr recommendation but I am flexible. I let my plants tell me when to harvest; and
  • that being said, my final 2 weeks of bloom I am flushing.
Hope this helps :tiphat:

ETA: The longer you veg, the more sexually active your plants will be (horny), and bud sites develop in days vice weeks.

I really appreciate your time and thought on my questions, man. Thanks a bunch.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I do not remove anything from a marijuana plant that it does not want to give up. Pick dead and yellow leaves that fall in to your hand. That is all.

G

I appreciate your response. I'm going to make these mothers, so compact size is a priority, and root growth - as fast as possible - not so much.

Do those parameters change your response at all?

Hey bro all good.
In that case pruning leaves and branches is a good technique to keep them growing slower, drinking less and more manageable.