What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cree CXB 3590 grow results?

jikko77

the result i had in the previous grow wasn't that bad.
mix of 3070 and 3590, at 1400ma for about a total of 400w.
a space of 100*60cm.
about 250g dried bud, and there are better grower than me for sure.

kushedy

Most people are pulling 1-2 gpw with them. If you check out Growmau5's channel on the tube he's documented a few grows where he has got close to 2gpw.
On my first grow using CXB's I pulled just over 1gpw. Bottom line they work very well.
The CXB's are great but there are more cost effective alternatives around these days. Citizen , Vero's & Luminus cobs are being used by a lot of users. They all make cobs roughly around the same efficiency levels as the CXB's but are a fair bit cheaper. Samsung hard strips being used to create a sort of DIY Quantum board layout are also gaining in popularity. Very cheap, easy to build & very efficient.

Yeah i saw grow manus building buy he uses a combination of various leds in his grows,not just cxb. What are these strips? Could you link me?

Most people are pulling 1-2 gpw with them. If you check out Growmau5's channel on the tube he's documented a few grows where he has got close to 2gpw.
Growmaus "claimed" to yield 1627g from 850w on a 4 x 8 tray. Although the tray was probably 4 x 8, the space the plants could occupy was considerably bigger. Also, he used 32 x cxb3950 cob's for 850 total watts, which means he was supposedly running them at only 26.6w/cob. Yeah right! :)

Any claims above around 1g/w are unproven and dubious at best. Why is it that everyone always quotes growmaus for g/w? If these cob's were that good everybody would be getting similar results.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I don't have results but a question, if you have the 800-1000 umol per say square metre, taking out variables such as grow style etc, if you have proper penetration should you not be hitting your 600 grammes/ metre square result on average with that type of yielding variety regardless of light source? For me it seems that having appropriate umol levels for a given space would give you the calculation of yield of that given space better than starting with how many watts of light for that space.

I don't have results but a question, if you have the 800-1000 umol per say square metre, taking out variables such as grow style etc, if you have proper penetration should you not be hitting your 600 grammes/ metre square result on average with that type of yielding variety regardless of light source? For me it seems that having appropriate umol levels for a given space would give you the calculation of yield of that given space better than starting with how many watts of light for that space.
Yes you are essentially right but penetration is the biggest variable which can effect the result.

A single light that delivers optimum PAR positioned 3ft from the plant tops will still have 25% of optimum at 3ft below the plant tops. A light that delivers optimum PAR positioned 8 inches above the plant tops will be down to only 25% of PAR only 8 inches below the plant tops. A powerful light source positioned further away from the canopy is always best, especially if you are growing decent sized plants for yield.

I have used cxb3590's for a coup[le of years. I decided to design my own fixtures using Samsung LM561C diodes with 100w/200w 384 diodes per board for my grows. I have no scales, but I have no shortage of medicine.

I use 300w of pcb diodes in a 2x4 and am quite happy. I used to use 200w of cxb's in a 2x2 and it was hot and cramped. I use three GrowGreen boards at 100w driven soft as I can afford to since I own the pcb's and have them made and sell them at cost to my friends, and at minor profit on my web site. The GG boards run cooler, use less energy, create more usable light, and healthier and heavier crops.

I watched Growmau5, if you want to learn how to grow, study Bushy Old Grower BOG with the Sea Of green SOG method that works great.

kushedy

Most cob growers are using between 25-35w per square foot. There are a lot of people achieving high number with them. Gorwmau5 just gets mentioned a lot as he went so in depth into the tech & did a couple of documented grows. The info & discussion on icmag around LED's is a bit dated (no offense peeps). If you’re interested in LED growing tech, the science behind it & what you can yield your best bet is to look at the roll**up forum LED section. There is enough information, evidence & arguments to fill your free time for weeks, if you want to dig in that deep.
All the info you could want & more is out there, you just have to do a bit of digging around on the internet & use a few forums.
I’ve used HPS, MH, Blurple LED, then HPS again & now CXB led’s. I have no intention of switching back to LED.

Koondense

Veteran
Natural high,
growmau5 is only one grower with such results, your unacceptance of his gpw is interesting since the guy provides true numbers.
You can check my indoor grows with cxb3590s, usually at 35-50w/cob. I get between 1,2 and 1,7g/w consistently and with organic growing with minimal input and nutes.
Why you laugh at 25w/cob? This way cxbs have great efficency, same as all good cobs...spread is more uniform but such setup has a high cost.

With more efficent cobs the need for low watts is gone. My new setup will have 48-96w/cobs for high penetration and eff above 150lm/w.

Cheers

jikko77

so with 400W u got 250G? thats bad compared to a HPS where u would usually do 400w 400g

sorry to disappoint you then.
tbh i don't feel bad about the result. it may not be spectacular, but for my little experience isn't that bad either.

Invisible Rasta said:
how many plants in 100x60?

all grow in soil.
3 from seed to harvest, 11l pot.
3 cut in 3l pot.

if you want the details of that grow:
1x bubba kush: about 120g.
2x master kush: about 80g from two plant.
3x cut's (master kush mother): about 50g.

Just a note, when i say 100*60 i mean the room/tent base size, not a tray or anything of that size.

Latest posts

Latest posts