What's new

About to harvest my first one!! Any pointers are appreciated...

One of my girls is ready. I havent given her any nutes for 13 days and did not flush. Im about to make the cut, then manicure it, followed by either hanging it or putting it in a cardboard box to dry. if you have any pointers i would love to hear. thanks

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
right now where I live humidity is really low, if it's cold ass winter where you live you may have that to worry bout too.
buds dry too quickly taste like crap.

ohh, and congrats!

Ok, thanks. It is dry and cold here. The room its going to be in is about 70 degrees and 16% humidity. How long should it take for the bud to dry for it to retain its taste...

5-7 days is what i aim for in drying times i hang dry for 2-3 days or untill the buds are dry feeling on the outside then i put them in a closed paper bag for a couple more days then open the top of the bag for remaining days usualy there dried by then and ready to be put into a jar.....and giving it no ferts and just feeding it water is called flushing...hope it smokes good for you....also if it took 5-7 days for it to dry and it still smells not the best its because you harvested too early, just incase that happens you will know why good luck

Z

zen_trikester

First one ehh? congrats for sure! My first suggestion is let it go another 2 weeks... most newbs pull before the trickes are showing a good bit of amber, but that is part of the deal because there is no finer smoke than that which you grew yourself. So let er rip!

16% humidity will dry that bud in a couple of days unless they are huge. You may want to do something to raise humidity in your drying space with either a humidifier or maybe just a pan of water with a fan on it. Stonedar is right about taste being affected. 30- 40% is good though. If possible leave stems intact and that will help draw it out some. Also since your relative humidity is so low, properly dried bud may feel wet. Good idea to put a humidistat in a jar to get a feel for what is right. Humidity is relative compared to temp though so don't go for 60%... I tested my last pull and it was gooey and sticky still but did not go out in a bowl or a joint. That was at 41% humidity. I gave some to a friend and he wondered if I didn't finish drying it. Then we smoked and he was good. In the summer I end up around 60% for similar texture if I remember right... haven't tested in a long while before the other day.

GoozMan

Have you thought about what you'll do with all the trimmings? I've been brewing mine into some milk - makes a nice breakfast shake!

blownupboy

drying

drying

when drying ,seperate everything out into big buds, medium buds, and small buds. this way you can remove the smaller stuff from your drying apparatus and leave the big ones to dry longer without disturbing anything.

if you have too much air cirulation it will make the outside of the buds real crispy and the inside may still be moist. do what you can to have patience with the drying process. you can always grab a bud and seal it in a jar for 24 hours (to equalize the humidity) and then check on it. if it looks good jar everything up.

i used a fan, carbon scrubber, a bowl of rice, and left the big buds hanging and the small ones on a netted rack in my grow tent. ran for about 5 days. and had good results - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=194730&page=4

Ok so i cut her down, and gave her a haircut. Something so soothing and relaxing about it. Not sure what ill do with the leaves yet, but the buds i put in a cardboard box and will try to dry them this way. I ll rotate them every day so they dry evenly.

Thanks everyone.... Its been 60 days in flowering for this one should be ready. If not then i will know for the next one. ...i cant wait to try her out.

Spotten

Dont dry it TOO fast either!!

Dont dry it TOO fast either!!

Im new too in here, and in the growth of cannabis-world.

Last time i make my harvest, the first one, my humidity was 20%, and that was too low, i will try to dry it with a higher humidity next time, my guess 30% at least! Im using a humidifier to keep the "RC" value at 40% in bloom, 75% in the vegetative fase.

The reason i mean that 20% i TOO low to dry cannabis, is that it dryes TOO fast, and then i will say it locks the chlorofyl in the final product. (taste of green / sour)

I have been told it CAN dry TOO fast, so beware of that, and that said, please correct me if im totally wrong about this topic, about the best way to dry your precious harvest.

Sorry for my poor english! :)

Last edited:

Spotten

Ok so i cut her down, and gave her a haircut. Something so soothing and relaxing about it. Not sure what ill do with the leaves yet, but the buds i put in a cardboard box and will try to dry them this way. I ll rotate them every day so they dry evenly.

Thanks everyone.... Its been 60 days in flowering for this one should be ready. If not then i will know for the next one. ...i cant wait to try her out.

Oh, i missed the last post! Sorry!!

I will not recommend to dry in cardboard boxes, im using newspaper myself, BUT after a week of drying, it must be "curred", put it in jars, cool them down and keep them dark, and make sure to give dem som air every day in the beginning and later on you can do i onces a day, but in the start, i would open this jars 3 times a day, give them some air and then back in the refrigerator, after 2-3 month, it should taste ALOT better.

I have a friend, he have dried some pot (oldtimers), ind cardboxes and over 2 years, but he did not know that oxygen AND light will brake down ALL of the good stuff after approximately 3 years, and that is NOT nice when using so much time to give them all the love.

Mr.GreenThumb.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Congrats on the first pull! Do a search on ICMag, I have seen multiple good threads on the art of drying. One additional comment, once 'air dry' to where a medium stem snaps in half, get them into mason jars. You can open every day for the first 7 days or so. If bud seems moist, rotate and leave open until it just seems to dry out a little (15 min-several hours depending on moisture content and humidity). More in the beginning, less later on Any smells of mold means they were too wet going in. Remove and continue 'air dry'. If a stem snaps, you are usually good for jars. After the 7 days, you can 'burp' them daily for another week or so. Short amounts of time. After that, screw the lid on tight and do your best to wait for 30 days while they sit in the cooler. Then, have at it!

Spotten

Congrats on the first pull! Do a search on ICMag, I have seen multiple good threads on the art of drying. One additional comment, once 'air dry' to where a medium stem snaps in half, get them into mason jars. You can open every day for the first 7 days or so. If bud seems moist, rotate and leave open until it just seems to dry out a little (15 min-several hours depending on moisture content and humidity). More in the beginning, less later on Any smells of mold means they were too wet going in. Remove and continue 'air dry'. If a stem snaps, you are usually good for jars. After the 7 days, you can 'burp' them daily for another week or so. Short amounts of time. After that, screw the lid on tight and do your best to wait for 30 days while they sit in the cooler. Then, have at it!

Then i wasent totally wrong about my allegation in my post before? :)

use

I'm about to harvest my first plants as well, thanks for the tips. I am on week 16 of flowering some cuban haze. I can't believe how long they are going. But they are looking real nice and crystally. I really want to get the dry/cure right.

Spotten

There is alot to get out of the taste even after 2-3 month, one week, then there is still chlorophyll in it, or you have dried it to fast and that can also "bind" the chlorophyll in the product.

After 3 month, it's very little taste different.

One week of drying and one week of curing is simply not enough

Read more here:

"Drying, curing and storing"

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112662

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts