What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best time of day for transplanting?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I have had my plants "clones" now outside on the side of the house out of direct sun for 4 days to harden off.
I was wondering what you guys think, morning, afternoon or evening time to plant into final outdoor container?
It gets kinda windy here in the afternoon, and in previous years I've planted and had plants whipping around. Made it more of a hassle.
Im probably just overthinking it right? just like everything else lol.
Thanks for your suggestions

R

Robrites

I usually do mine in the cool of the morning. I think it is easier on them but would like to hear from someone the knows the science of it.

MrBungle

Yup do it at a time that is most convenient for you, or you are less likely to have someone stumble upon your project..

I think transplant shock is transplant shock no matter what time of day it is...

The only way to reduce stress is through refining your method of transplant

Easy7

Veteran
Kelp helps transplant stress as well as help germ old beans.

Never had problems anytime of day. If the sun is very intense, I'd probably make sure they get some cool water. Time of year is more important than time of day. Some also go by the moon.

green404

I usually try to transplant a few hours after sunrise. New transplants should be kept in shade and have plenty of water.

That the way I learned when I worked in a nursery. Except in a commercial nursery transplanting can be a massive job and you transplant all day until the sun goes down. Then get up and do it again.

Koondense

Veteran
I did it at all times, noticed no difference.
My thought on this, it's probably best to transplant in cloudy days(or anticipating some cloudy days ahead) and transplant in the afternoon/evening to avoid full sun exposure shock.

Cheers

theJointedOne

Veteran
i try to harden them off in mixed light, like under a tree, so it gets shade and sun, not just shade

i always preferred to plant on a somewhat overcast day if possible, otherwise id say shoot for the evening when its cooled down a bit, hour before sunset or so...gives them all night to get comfy before the norcal sun blasts them :)

i dont think you are 'overthinking' it, this stuff matters for sure. Might not make the biggest diff in the world, but it def makes some diff

Easy7

Veteran
Before a good rain. Learned this year with a pepper plant, be careful pinching before rain. Just a pepper plant but still, it got infected with bacteria or fungal wilt. Cost almost $4 for that plant and had to pull it before it spread.

Rain cuts down on work. It's either the stars line up and the rain comes or you haul lot's of water. That may be a hike! Lot's of back and forth, trails being made, risking encounters with people. Lot's of noise!

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
i try to harden them off in mixed light, like under a tree, so it gets shade and sun, not just shade

i always preferred to plant on a somewhat overcast day if possible, otherwise id say shoot for the evening when its cooled down a bit, hour before sunset or so...gives them all night to get comfy before the norcal sun blasts them :)

i dont think you are 'overthinking' it, this stuff matters for sure. Might not make the biggest diff in the world, but it def makes some diff

The overthinking it part is my Libra side lol
I had a big umbrella over them the last 4 days and shifted it here and there so they'd get some some direct light just not a whole lot.

caliprop215

Veteran
I always do it in the evening.after no more direct sun. Then it has all night and all morning before the sun hits it.....

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^^ Posted just a little faster than me. :biggrin:

Before dark is probably really good if you can do it.

Gives your plants all night to get used to a new environment.