What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Modular stacked Shipping containers and AC...?

toohighmf

Veteran
Yooooo

Obviously I've built a lot of grows in my time, but was contracted to build 4 separate gro-tainers that are placed nut to butt and then stacked. The contractee wants these units to not be any taller, but wants me to stuff a bunch of HID's in em and not raise the height on em at all. how???

MJINC

Use 40 ft HC containers or does he want you to use standard? I've seen converted standard containers with Gavita's so they do work. They just didn't use anything to raise the plants so they were grown at floor level

queequeg152

Veteran
minisplits or ptacs.

ac in these things isnt that hard. insulating them is whats most expensive and troublesome.

alot of the big construction firms around here use them to store equipment and for job site office space.

toohighmf

Veteran
The problem isn't insulating or the Air conditioner itself. How do I plumb these once they're vertically stacked for AC if I only have the 6" at the top and bottom under the mounting brackets at the corners top and bottom? How to run closed loop on the return to keep my air treated? Short wide square duct? Where do I put the air handler of a split system?

YetiOG

The problem isn't insulating or the Air conditioner itself. How do I plumb these once they're vertically stacked for AC if I only have the 6" at the top and bottom under the mounting brackets at the corners top and bottom? How to run closed loop on the return to keep my air treated? Short wide square duct? Where do I put the air handler of a split system?

Skip the c cans and build wood boxes so much easier and lighter... shipping container will cost alot to insulate and certainly easier to work witb

toohighmf

Veteran
That's not an option. My contractee has 40+ containers he wants to use. He's dead set on it. I'm just trying to get him as close to what he wants. They can't be wood if they need to be picked up with a crane and stacked.

toohighmf

Veteran
A wall unit will/would work great for a clone/mom room, but they don't get bigger than 2 tons. To cool 4+ DE 1k's, these little sealed insulated sweatboxes are gonna need at least 2.5 tons and that's pushing it.

MJINC

I've always seen them built onto the closed length end of the container.

toohighmf

Veteran
Are you referring to a window unit or one of those Bard 5 ton units for mobile offices or classrooms? The problem with these is that There's no way to duct and evenly distribute the cool air, and the return is right at the front too.

MJINC

Are you referring to a window unit or one of those Bard 5 ton units for mobile offices or classrooms? The problem with these is that There's no way to duct and evenly distribute the cool air, and the return is right at the front too.

Yeah that is the problem with them. It's the same thing that happens in refrigerated containers. You can even the temperatures using good air flow but the return is going to be a problem.

toohighmf

Veteran
Found 5 ton mini splits. This will inevitably be the solution. Only took like 4 days to find. I'm a terrible searcher of the interwebs!

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I am planning on living in about a half dozen containers, in near future. Will probably use half or one full one for grow.

With the new Vero 29 Gen 7 LEDS, why go HID anymore??? Too much heat for the lumens produced, which requires insane amounts of A/C.

toohighmf

Veteran
I love I solved another problem. Don't use HID lighting. Gonna rock some quantum boards and plop em in some magnum xxxl hoods. Cooling 9x 900 btu's vs 4x 4500 should be a breeze. Literally. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts