What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

REAL Landrace Colombian Gold.

djimb

Veteran
The seed for this queen came from "consumers of Cannabis and persons of no particular trade" at Playa Salguero. Rodadero/Santa Marta.

Is that the name of a dispensary in Santa Marta?

I also live 6 months a year in Oregon which is where these pics were taken. Germinated 2018 Feb. and strong seedling by March 1. Grown in Greenhouse with mild winter here in Oregon. Now it "ON" with this queen. Until Oct-Nov when I return to Colombia again for winter. NOTE: the color of the outer part of stalk. Purple/Red color from ground to top! Not sure what that is about but does not seem to affect the health.

If it's pure smcg, there's a good chance it might not be finished by November. A lot of pure equatorial varieties can flower for 16+ weeks and often don't start flowering until late August in the northern hemisphere. Even light pollution at the equator can prevent them from triggering.

I had a bagseed plant on a balcony in Quito, Ecuador for months that never even preflowered because there was a street light nearby.

You could do light dep outdoors to finish it in time, or make seed this year for future indoor runs.

I was in Minca (foothills of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta) at the local Medical Dispensary and met the Senorita there. Super nice Chica and very motivated to Medical cause. Very helpful and friendly in my case. I stay in contact with her and will visit again upon returning. Great to have the opportunity to live in such a super place in retirement.

I volunteered at a hostel there for about a month back in 2013. I wish I'd been able to stay permanently. Some of my favorite memories are of sitting with a cup of coffee and a smoke at sunrise with sounds of toucans in the trees overhead.

I'm jealous.

http://caracol.com.co/emisora/2017/08/11/santa_marta/1502483777_397003.html

Thats an article from CARACOL about the progress so far in Colombia. Center of town turn right and maybe 2-3 blocks on the left. Iveth was very impressive with her fortitude for the cause of Medical. Sadly her dispensary does not compare to Oregon so I was spoiled going in. I gave her a couple of brand new empty vape cartridges so she could experiment with some of her own RSO type stuff. VERY good person.

Regarding the mature date of November I hope that is not the case, but if it is I have somebody local that can finish and cure. Professionals. She is in a huge pot and transportable. It is going to be interesting project and gives me a hobby while in Oregon grow season. I also have 3 Durban Poison (purchased seeds) queens and the differences are very significant.

Durban has very xmas tree like shape and nine finger fans and lime green color vs the single Colombian seed produced plant with much darker vegatation, started as seedling with alot of 3-5 finger and I have not seen anything over 7 fingers. The outer part of the stalk from the bottom all the way to top is the red/purple color and she is very healthy so I think she likes visiting Oregon :biggrin:.

Theorganicguy

I live in SM Rodardero so this is a legit look see at what I assume would be SMCG since that where the seed came from. I did NOT witness the harvest of the bud but rather the high.

I also live 6 months a year in Oregon which is where these pics were taken. Germinated 2018 Feb. and strong seedling by March 1. Grown in Greenhouse with mild winter here in Oregon. Now it "ON" with this queen. Until Oct-Nov when I return to Colombia again for winter. NOTE: the color of the outer part of stalk. Purple/Red color from ground to top! Not sure what that is about but does not seem to affect the health.

I was in Minca (foothills of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta) at the local Medical Dispensary and met the Senorita there. Super nice Chica and very motivated to Medical cause. Very helpful and friendly in my case. I stay in contact with her and will visit again upon returning. Great to have the opportunity to live in such a super place in retirement.

Hi captain Nasty,

I am actually growing some mexican bagseed a friend brought me back from Mexico last november. One pheno looks exactly like yours! Do the stem have a citrusy smell if you rub it? I'm quite curious to learn more about this strain, can't wait for flowering!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Good luck with your grow!

Attachments

• IMG_3966.jpg
    IMG_3966.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3963.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3965.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 33

thejact55

What part of mexico?
It looks like there is some hybrid to it. Not super tropical sativa leaves, but thin still. Keep us updated, curious too how these will turn out. Love some mysteries.

I do see definitely some similarities. The color of stalk is a curiosity. I must admit I been a user since 1969 but now a growerand my career did not permit it. (years of friggin drug tests) but I don't answer to that anymore so I'm now having a great time with this stuff.

This particular plant of mine has a VERY vine like appearance/structure to it. I will post and we will eventually see the results.

They were collected in Riviera Maya, puerto morelo, near Cancun.

The red stem and branches are pretty nice to look at. They are really flexible as well, might be the finnest stems I have ever grow.

:tiphat:

Just kinda thinking that I stumbled across Punta Rojo seeds rather than SMCG. This particular plant is SOLID red color and becoming more defined each day. The seeds from Minca are producing a completely different leaf and stalk. Now I have 2 plants types from Santa Marta area. Almost opposites in characteristics.

To the original post, wow. That looks amazing. And such a great history.

It is super similar looking to the Columbian cut that capulator , creator of the Mac, has in Los Angeles.

This picture is a bud from a Bagseed found in capulators cut of Columbus Gold. Can't deny the similarities. Have a great day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180831-132144_1bbj.jpg
    Screenshot_20180831-132144_1bbj.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 29

bigherb

Veteran
To the original post, wow. That looks amazing. And such a great history.

It is super similar looking to the Columbian cut that capulator , creator of the Mac, has in Los Angeles.

This picture is a bud from a Bagseed found in capulators cut of Columbus Gold. Can't deny the similarities. Have a great day.

Sexy lookin

I’d love to hear more about her

Taste / smells/ effects

1luvbigherb

Sexy lookin

I’d love to hear more about her

Taste / smells/ effects

1luvbigherb

She's got a thick orange citrus flavor and smell , probably crossed to legend orange apricot(our guess)

But she has some of the soaring high of the CG ,just not as long lasting or very strong.

Theorganicguy

I am back with some pics!

Sadly, the whole plant, which is being grown guerrilla style, was almost completely cut away by a farmer. Only one branch survived. That one branch became ten times longer in a month and started flowering two weeks ago. Pink pistils are always cool! I pollinated her with some erdpurt pollen. The outcome should definitely have colourful pistils. There is some resin on her already, but not much smells yet. A little bit of citronella.

12 August

16 september

If she keeps up with such a speed, she will be finished before november.

Have a nice sunday :tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_4238.jpg
    IMG_4238.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4237.jpg
    IMG_4237.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4236.jpg
    IMG_4236.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4146.jpg
    IMG_4146.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Theorganicguy

Thanks MJPassion :)

She is maturing and budding quite fast. The flower are pretty dense as resinous. Sadly, she doesn't smell like much, some bland sweetness and a little bit of citrus. It reminds me of skunk genetics, which are quite probably mixed with the local genetics. In the second picturee you can see the seeds maturing.
I think she will need until end of october.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Happy croptober, everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_4409.jpg
    IMG_4409.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4410.jpg
    IMG_4410.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4411.jpg
    IMG_4411.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 26

Crazy Chester

Ticalionstalion, that is some tasty bud - I'd be all over that in an an instant! It looks really well grown too.

I'm really grateful Colombian Gold has seen a resurgence in interest over the last couple years and hope you don't mind me sharing a personal experience with Colombian Gold from many years ago. I saw someone else's post say that the last time they could find Colombian Gold was 1982 and that's when my story starts - I may have bought the last bag of Colombian Gold - lol.

Back then, the high school dealer said to meet him in the gym - he had something special. He pulled about a 1/4 ounce bag out and it was golden in color (everything - including the rough trimmed sugar leaves). I had not seen anything like it, then or since. I immediately bought it for 10 dollars. After school I smoked a little joint and it came on very quickly. It was all head. It felt like my body was barely there as I effortlessly floated home on foot wearing a wide smile. It had very definite visual effects on me - all the trees, bushes, etc were all brighter and in sharper detail. Besides that - it was positively euphoric! I puffed on it for a couple days and then my best friend stole it from my hiding place and I never came across Colombian Gold again.

I hardly ever tell someone what they think they have is not the real deal, because growing styles, where it is grown, how it is fed (or not), how it is trimmed and groomed - all these factors effect how the plant looks. I've grown my own plant from seed in hydro indoors to harvest and grown the same plant (from clone) to harvest outdoors in soil and it looked WAY different.

So, I don't see any reason why your plant is not Colombian Gold. The effects of the plant are more important than what it looks like. That said, the closest pic I can find to the Colombian Gold I bought in 1982 is what Raco grew out here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2176327&postcount=34

grayeyes

Thanks to everyone who contributed thoughts to this thread. It has been most informative.

The thing I got out of the thread was that looks alone are not determinative. The different phenos in ONE strain, grown differently than another can be deceptive. You just don't know. And calling bs on someone is ill-mannered and shows an immaturity that is not helpful in searching for that pot of gold.

That being said, I know how difficult it is to try and find a strain from memory. Fakirs abound in the seed selling business. "Pure" turns out way too often to be 'crossed with skunk" in the fine print.

I have been searching for the Michoacan I smoked in the late '60s. I have seen 4 or 5 strains that claim to be authentic only to read the summary and find 'crossed with' which ends the investigation. I know somewhere there is someone who put aside seed when Nixon started spraying paraquat. But finding that someone is the challenge.

But it can be done. Another strain that interested me is Durban Poison. Not the Holland-baked 8 to 9 week stuff. I was fortunate to find someone local who actually had and grew the 14 to 16 week stuff. He complained about how long it took but then again he is also growing landrace Thai which takes forever here in So. Cal.

End of story you have to keep your eyes open and be diligent if you really want to find what you are looking for.

Good luck!

The seed for this queen came from "consumers of Cannabis and persons of no particular trade" at Playa Salguero. Rodadero/Santa Marta.

I live in SM Rodardero so this is a legit look see at what I assume would be SMCG since that where the seed came from. I did NOT witness the harvest of the bud but rather the high.

I want to follow up with this thread.
The end result (pics) of what was a cool plant to grow. The strain is unknown... but seeds were given to me from local Marijuaneros at the beach of Playa Salguero...which is basically Santa Marta. The new pics are of those particular seeds and really did not IMO show SANTA MARTA Colombian Gold so I did research on this site and I believe is to be a strain with characteristics of Sativa closer to Panama. Maybe it has genetics because it the stalk and pistils had a lot of "red" color.

I obtained a few seeds from a friend in Minca which is in the foothills of Santa Marta. Those plants did had characteristic completely different and I was very stubborn to flower. I suppose it was accustomed to the 12/12 sunlight and didn't like the Pac NW climate where I live when not liveing in Santa Marta.

Attachments

• IMG-0180.jpg
    IMG-0180.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-0181.jpg
    IMG-0181.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 36
I have been searching for the Michoacan I smoked in the late '60s. I have seen 4 or 5 strains that claim to be authentic only to read the summary and find 'crossed with' which ends the investigation. I know somewhere there is someone who put aside seed when Nixon started spraying paraquat. But finding that someone is the challenge.

Check into Snowhigh....he's got a Guerrero x Michoacan that you might be interested in. It's not pure but it will be close. You will be able to find plants that lean to the Michoacan for sure