What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

landrace varities that finish 50* N ???

OnceUpon

what "Landrace" or "un-hybridized" varieties will finish in colder climates 50N ?
there is no one answer, but some direction will help.

from what i gather.
some Afghan lines work
some Nepalese lines will work
and some south african varieties will work

what other parts of the world produced fast flowering plants that can be grown in northern climates?

Zitz

Pakistan strains do well here, just as cold resistant as most Afghan, and more mold resistant (in my limited exp.)

Check out Jact55's thread in this forum, he's grown an Egyptian landrace (Sinai), close to that latitude.

baduy

Mediterannean strains like RSC Lebanese, RSC Sinai, Philosopher seeds early maroc, Original Delicatessen first Lady (mexico)
Ciskei/Bushmans
Uzbek/tajik area

Criollo

From my experience Nanda Devi should not have problems, i think is a diferent plant. But if you choose this, may be need to choose other strain more because the efects of Nanda Devi are more "sativa" and in my opinion i like to have one "sativa" plant and one "indica" plant...speaking about the efects of course.

thejact55

What is your drop dead frost date onceupon? Middle of october or sooner?

For me: Sinai finished easy
Lebanese did too
Rsc chitrali, some finish, some come close. Quite a range of flower times in those seeds
I did try some nanda devi, but they didn't finish. From what others are saying, I might need to try again.
I didn't even think that South African would finish, this is promising. Guess I need to try this too.

I guess I would look at natural habitat at each strain to help decide on the gamble we play. Is this a mountain based strain, or a strain naturally grown in colder climates? Or is this a desert strain? Those geo-growth areas naturally seem to do best in our climates. If it is a super tropical natural locations, indoors is best.
Affies, paki, morrocan, anywhere middle East wise, the "istan" countries (Uzbek, tazik, ect). Yunnan by ace, but only available in fem, might work. Himalayan strains are iffy in my opinion but worth a shot. Maybe some clear plastic over them in late fall to buy you a few precious days when the first frosts come.

Criollo

I did try some nanda devi, but they didn't finish. From what others are saying, I might need to try again.

Hi thejact55...well im gona say what ocured to me.

I live in 44º. I put 3 ND in gueriilla, i visit them 3 or 4 times. One for transplant, a week later to see if is all OK, and one or two more times to water. Them because a problems y only was able to go in first of December.

Of 3 plants only one has mould, and in two or three crops. The plants seems overmatured.

May be the climate of the year, or the poor conditions of the plants help them...i dont know.

Criollo

Anyway in this year i gona grow some Nandas and may be we can clear doubts.

Sorry for the oftoppic, but what do you think about of plant them now. I am too late.

oct 14 is as late as they go usually

encouraging to hear those RSC leb & sinai worked for you!

Im tottally agree with grow lebs because to the early flowering

While there are many that will finish at 50ºN, the best way to keep any strain that does well year to year outside is make seeds, no? You can even adapt strains that may not produce ripe flowers the first or even second year but as long as you keep producing seeds they'll adapt.

I would say you're on the right track, geographically. But you should be looking at Himalayans as well.

A list:

USC Black Afghani(Kandahar, Afghanistan) - 56-63d - Kandahar is 32ºN
RSC Chitrali(Upper Chitral, Pakistan) - Oct. to Nov. - Upper Chitral is 35ºN
RSC Mazar-i-Sharif(Mazar-i-Sharif, Balkh Province, Afghanistan) - Oct. to Nov. or left later, traditonally - Mazar-i-Sharif is 37ºN
Eskobar Jalisco(Jalisco State, Mexico) - 70-77d - Jalisco is 20ºN(if you like chemotype 1/NLD) Could be acclimatized. I am planning it at 45ºN.
Nanda Devi(Kumaon, India, Himalaya) - October - 29ºN
Parvati(India) - end of Sept. to Nov. - 32ºN
Sinai(Egypt) - late Sept. to early Oct. - 29ºN
Turkish(Turkey) - 49-56d - 40ºN give or take

ngakpa

Veteran
the latitude a strain originates at isn't necessarily an indication of flowering time:

the fastest strains RSC has now are

Sinai

Lebanese

Nanda Devi

Syrian

all of those are hash/charas strains which are harvested in September

for the point about latitude:

there are strains grown at higher latitudes that are longer flowering - e.g. the real Mazar-i-Sharif grown in Afghanistan is a mid-flowering strain harvested in October to November

whereas the Nanda Devi comes from much further south but is cropped mainly during September and is fully harvested by the first week of October

ahortator

Veteran
Lesotho matekoane. It is not only far South from tropics but at high altitude. What makes it most interesting is the fact it is a ganja sativa/NLD.

https://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/cannabis-lesotho-en/

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=5187747&postcount=814

marijuana.jpg

https://paracaddis.wordpress.com/tag/lesotho/

The only problem is that it is really difficult to get seeds if you don't live or don't know anybody there or in SA.

OnceUpon

correct :)
and flowering time doesnt necessarily indicate whether a plant will finish in a northern short season climate. as plants need to begin to flower while the days are much longer than 12 hours of light

loving all the suggestions and great input

thank you
the latitude a strain originates at isn't necessarily an indication of flowering time:

the fastest strains RSC has now are

Sinai

Lebanese

Nanda Devi

Syrian

all of those are hash/charas strains which are harvested in September

for the point about latitude:

there are strains grown at higher latitudes that are longer flowering - e.g. the real Mazar-i-Sharif grown in Afghanistan is a mid-flowering strain harvested in October to November

whereas the Nanda Devi comes from much further south but is cropped mainly during September and is fully harvested by the first week of October

Pamir gold the tajik one Bred for Swiss outdoor, and Durban ofc ummm kwazulu ummm taskenti or whatever which is majorally uzbekistani you could do an Albanian sativa if that's even possible to buy online, maybe morrocan (early Maroc(sativa) or ketama chefchaoen (indica) yeah there's a Turkish landrace from alchimiaweb I don't want to really repeat ones already been said. You could get some Swazi gold phenos that finish a lot earlier than usual some Australian guy told me, idk.

Latest posts

Latest posts