What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

nan

I can't pm yet but have some Lebanese. They tested about 10% last year but I won't use them again since they hermied and fouled my and my neighbor's 2007 garden. Just couldn't throw them away, tho did feed the 5# or so off my garden to the quail.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
i have old and dead nigerian landrace collected by my friend around niger river 91.
seeds collected by me,police burn 99

I want them but I can't PM you the info to post them, get your post count to over 50 and I can PM you.
You can answer the questions in post #16 in this thread.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Can't edit yet either.... I have an unopened pkg of Ruderalis I bought in 2005.

Get your post count to over 50, then PM me.
When you say Ruderalis do you mean pure or a hybrid with a western drug variety? I want pure Ruderalis.
Lebanese even if dead are fine, PM me and I will send a list of questions same as in post #16 in this thread, and the info to post me.
-SamS

S

strandloper

I have seeds from about five or six different strains I collected in the Transkei this year.
I'll work on getting my post count up so I can PM you.

I am interested in the results from sub-Saharan Africa, I think that some of DNA will far more ancient than people suspect.

Thanks so much for all your work.
-Aloha

S

strandloper

When Cannabis is legalized in the US all the land race strains will be available for Patent. And someone will do that and make it illegal to grow those seeds on US soil. It will be very similar to what happened with Thai Jasmine rice.

homebrew420

There is a lab here in Boulder at CU doing a similar study, Dr Nolan Kane i head ing the research. The Cannabis Genomic Project. Been ongoing now for the last 6 months
Might be a better start for those here in the USA.
THanks for sharing Sam

Peace

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I have seeds from about five or six different strains I collected in the Transkei this year.
I'll work on getting my post count up so I can PM you.

I am interested in the results from sub-Saharan Africa, I think that some of DNA will far more ancient than people suspect.

Thanks so much for all your work.
-Aloha

I want them!
Please answer the questions and I will PM you the address to post me when you have a post count on IC over 50.
-SamS

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
When Cannabis is legalized in the US all the land race strains will be available for Patent. And someone will do that and make it illegal to grow those seeds on US soil. It will be very similar to what happened with Thai Jasmine rice.

Don't worry you can't patent prior art, a patent needs to be novel, amongst other requirements.
-SamS

kokomarin

i hope i will count 50posts till first harvest :)
i do outdoor only:)
best wishes for every cannabis lover in 2015!!!

No. They won't.

US patent law states that for any plant to gain patent rights it must not have been for sale or advertised for more than one year prior to the patent application. Landraces have all been on sale and advertised for much longer than that. Also, the person applying for the patent would need to prove that their plant was unique from others so advertised, which they won't be able to do.

S

strandloper

Aloha,
I think in that mapping the Cannabis genome is inevitable and will ulitmatly be beneficial to society.

luxcultivars,
When I say landrace I refer to a variety that is genetically stable and has been passed down within a society or family for generations. The many strains of Cannabis that where grown throughout the world before the 1980's. These strains, nor any strain has ever been marketed or sold legally in the U.S.. Federal Law is supreme.

Federal patent law states that A plant can be patented in the U.S. under a number of circumstances. One of these is if... "...the plant was invented or discovered and, if discovered, that the discovery was made in a cultivated area."

When Cannabis is legalized, If you go to Africa and find a cultivated strain that you like than you will be able to be it back to the U.S. and patented it. This is a serious issue with heirloom plants of all kinds around the world.

It gets way deeper when you get into patenting certain genes. Companies will be able patent genes related to the expression of desirable traits. Its going to get strange for sure. Corporations will seek to control every aspect of Cannabis cultivation.

It is extremely important that landrace genetics are preserved. We are at a crossroads in the history of Cannabis and Human society.

Aloha

Hottish

I ended up here while searching for the other threads by the same name, for a post I made, seems they been closed or removed and all traces deleted, where are the heavy hitters who posted serious reservations about giving away their seeds and genetics , seems now only a few newbies here ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_rItLPTXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYii6nxhvUk

must I do a Google cached search , to a link I posted & wish to reread.

Just a note from the other thread, you can ship directly to Phylos if you're stateside.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Quite simply you are wrong. To patent a plant the variety must be novel, land races are not and they are the work of others.
People that post should get their "facts" straight.
Do you even understand the difference between a plant patent and plant registration under UPOV? Obviously not.
The real threat to landraces are the police, as well as folks that take western "improved" genetics to be grown in traditional areas like Afghanistan or Thailand, like has happened in Mexico, Jamaica, Morocco.
-SamS

Aloha,
I think in that mapping the Cannabis genome is inevitable and will ulitmatly be beneficial to society.

luxcultivars,
When I say landrace I refer to a variety that is genetically stable and has been passed down within a society or family for generations. The many strains of Cannabis that where grown throughout the world before the 1980's. These strains, nor any strain has ever been marketed or sold legally in the U.S.. Federal Law is supreme.

Federal patent law states that A plant can be patented in the U.S. under a number of circumstances. One of these is if... "...the plant was invented or discovered and, if discovered, that the discovery was made in a cultivated area."

When Cannabis is legalized, If you go to Africa and find a cultivated strain that you like than you will be able to be it back to the U.S. and patented it. This is a serious issue with heirloom plants of all kinds around the world.

It gets way deeper when you get into patenting certain genes. Companies will be able patent genes related to the expression of desirable traits. Its going to get strange for sure. Corporations will seek to control every aspect of Cannabis cultivation.

It is extremely important that landrace genetics are preserved. We are at a crossroads in the history of Cannabis and Human society.

Aloha

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
The post you are looking for was removed from the thread, not this one, when it was cleaned up by mods, all off subject posts were removed by the mods. The thread was closed, because most posts were off subject. Stick to the subject.....
-SamS

I ended up here while searching for the other threads by the same name, for a post I made, seems they been closed or removed and all traces deleted, where are the heavy hitters who posted serious reservations about giving away their seeds and genetics , seems now only a few newbies here ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_rItLPTXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYii6nxhvUk

must I do a Google cached search , to a link I posted & wish to reread.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
il keep an eye out,,maybe my Pakistani friends who go deep into P-land to visit family near Kashmir will have some luck,,

S

strandloper

Quite simply you are wrong. To patent a plant the variety must be novel, land races are not and they are the work of others.
People that post should get their "facts" straight.
Do you even understand the difference between a plant patent and plant registration under UPOV? Obviously not.
The real threat to landraces are the police, as well as folks that take western "improved" genetics to be grown in traditional areas like Afghanistan or Thailand, like has happened in Mexico, Jamaica, Morocco.
-SamS

I apologize if I have been misinformed.

harry74

Veteran
I have never been in Morocco but several years ago there was talk of a Pakistani land race that farmers were growing there, somenthing that was going under the name " jardala".I don´t remember if "jardala" was the name of the land race or some hash that was given this name, made of different plants (mix of pakistaní + morrocan).