What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

flowering organic soil

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
How complicated do you want to get?

You can find this info in stickies here on ic and places like KIS organics or buildasoil etc

Simplest stuff..Blood.. bone.. kelp.. dolomitic lime/oyster shell flower.. add less N than PK and make sure your pH is safely in range after you have cooked the soil but seriously im not repeating the whole list.. for simple check the organics for beginners and more complicated search for Dank frank's posts around here.

h.h.

Veteran
None.
picture.php

T

Teddybrae

I think Mr h.h is saying your soil should already be complete ... like before you plant.

Potash for flowering can be Foliar sprayed whenever you want. There's plenty of foliar products around but if you can ... find "Acadian" kelp and use that.

h.h.

Veteran
Good soil results in healthy plants that can express themselves quite nicely without any additional additives.

That said I may use ash water for a shot of pottasium, if I have ashes. I'll do that anyway during the growth period.
I'm constantly feeding, adding to the soil, but only in micro doses. Like the wind blew it in. Pixie dust.

bigbadbiddy

See that is an interesting tidbit that would have not come to light without this thread :D

I was told that topdressing takes place "in between rounds" i.e. after a completed flowering run, you remove the spent plant and plant in a new one and THEN you topdress, the idea being that you give back to the soil what the just removed plant had taken out of it.
Meaning you add all the nutrients you initially had in your soil mix, just more concentrated (without being mixed into additional soil).

And here we have h.h. saying he already starts topdressing in veg and just does micro doses, a little here and there and continues to do so all throughout the growth cycle.

This, to me, is an interesting proposition!

I have long felt that the former method leaves some things to be desired. I couldn't come to a conclusion yet because I had the buckwheat hull issues to eliminate first but I would imagine that my plants will be a bit hungry for nutrients in mid flower the latest and that the effects will be worse once I go into round 2 with the soil, even after topdressing all nutrients. That was just my experience in the past (although, like I said, buckwheat hulls ...).

I have since broken my head over how to counter this and previously had some success and considered continuing with aerated compost teas with EWC, kelp and krill (crab) meal.

Now instead of brewing ACTs every other week during flower and chalking up sickly plants in veg to being root bound, it might be smart for me to at least try h.h.'s method and simply top dress small amounts all throughout the plant's lifecycle.

I will definitely give this a try at least, provided I didn't misunderstand anything.

Another thing I believe to have noticed:
I have considerably upped (as in doubled - actually stopped measuring recently) the nutrient amendments in my soil mix from what was originally written in the "recipe". And have had no ill effects so far. On the contrary, I feel like my plants are happier for longer so far. Although something is definitely still off... Some plants do considerably worse than others and I always wondered if they just got less nutrient rich soil in their pots from me not mixing it enough or something ...
Or these plants are just phenos who require more feed/can use it ...

So I am developing a doubt about "overfeeding" the soil so easily. It seems like the soil, even in 5 gal pots, can balance out a lot of "overfertilising" and that it seems quite hard to actually burn the plants from too many nutrients in organic soil. In the past, as advised for beginners, I erred on the side of "too little" but now am tending more to err on the side of "too much"...
I mean Subcools "supersoil" and other recipes, definitely err on the side of "too much". I just went with coot's recipe and that one advices erring on the side of "too little" for sure.

Also: with h.h.'s method, I could adjust the nutrient amounts for individual plants. The one yellowing earlier from the bottom than the rest? Hit it with some more EWC on top for more N... etc.

I like this, will give it a try.

Cheers
BBB

Dog Star

Veteran
Made soil mix for hole ciclus,whithouth aerators,just soil and wormcatings..

hit inside food after 4th week of flowering.. you could top dress or add liquid
organic nutes.. if pots are big enough than no till is a good option to feed
your worms and they will give more food to plants that is fast avaible..

LT-94 low-temp processed fishmeal,northatlantic kelp,bat guano with higher P content,
use beneficial bacteries,also mycos on repot,will made your plants much healthier
and with bigger yields..

use organic honey or blackstreep mollasses to feed microherd.. aerate your waterings
when you give nute solution,that will raise number of bacteries that you will give
to rhyzo zone.. plants will be very happy with extra air for their roots..

bigbadbiddy

My food sources are Krill meal (same as crab/shrimp meal by all accounts) which is 4-3-0 and Kelp meal which is around 2-0.5-2.
The rest is earth worm castings and rock dusts. Some Epsom Salt and Neem Cake sprinkled in.

In flower I topdress or water with aerated compost teas going light on the krill meal and earth worm castings and heavier on the kelp. Sometimes I topdress some potash from burned wood.

St. Phatty

Good soil results in healthy plants that can express themselves quite nicely without any additional additives.

That said I may use ash water for a shot of pottasium, if I have ashes. I'll do that anyway during the growth period.
I'm constantly feeding, adding to the soil, but only in micro doses. Like the wind blew it in. Pixie dust.

I mix up ash water often during the summer.

Well, ashes & high P bat guano, and a nitrogen source.

I find it works better if you HOLD YOUR BREATH, mix it, and let it sit 5 minutes.

Then come back, hold your breath, mix it some more.

If you wait till it's sunny to pour the mixture, you can see if there's any dust flumes rising.

It's good NPK, but you don't want to breathe that dust.

'Boogieman'

I use fish bone meal and crab shell meal at 1/2 cup per cubic ft. I also top dress espoma chicken manure right before bloom and use kelp. I also like bioag TM-7 in bloom up to flush.

budsicles

Here's an easy recipe for lazy people...

1).....Use a good bagged 'soil' like Bushdoctor Coco Loco

2).....Top dress with Espoma Garden Tone and worm castings every 2-3 weeks.

That's all. It won't yield as much as aeroponics with soluble nutrients...but it will give you good quality with minimum effort.

Cannabis growers like to over complicate things.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
How complicated do you want to get?

You can find this info in stickies here on ic and places like KIS organics or buildasoil etc

Simplest stuff..Blood.. bone.. kelp.. dolomitic lime/oyster shell flower.. add less N than PK and make sure your pH is safely in range after you have cooked the soil but seriously im not repeating the whole list.. for simple check the organics for beginners and more complicated search for Dank frank's posts around here.
Read Dank Frank’s posts, best advice. You won’t look back!

KIS

In my opinion, most people are massively overapplying P. Recent trial I saw showed that 4-1-1 was what they found to be optimal for cannabis. Hope that is useful. I tend to want to run K a bit higher than that but agree on the P. Water stress leads to a need for high K, which is common in most grows.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Meta analysis of studies done over a period of years in Israel showed 4-6-5 to be the optimum for cannabis, as an all in one. I think saying people are massively over applying something is a bit too far reaching without knowing the media they are growing in. People here saying regular soil should have everything you need, then we must grow completely different grades of cannabis.

dank.Frank

mexweed

Veteran
I use a lot of buffaloam stuff

their loam grown soil, with down to earth organics bio live mixed in 3 tbsp/gallon

flowering schedule is

week 1 plain water

week 2 top dress ewc 1 tbsp/gallon, buffaloam soil alive 2 tbsp/gallon, with dirt md fulvic/humic added to water

week 3 aerate ewc and buffaloam loose tea 2 tbsp/gallon each, mammoth p microbes and advanced nutrients mother earth added after brewing

week 4 soil alive top dress 3 tbsp/gallon, mammoth p and mother earth added to water

week 5 loose tea 4 tbsp/gallon and dirt md aerated, with mammoth p and mother earth after brewing

week 6 plain water with mammoth p

7,8,9 flush, same for 8 weekers they get taken at 59 days, 10 weekers get mother earth and mammoth p at week 6, same for week 7 and 8 if they have to go 11 or 12 but also with soil alive 2 tbsp/gallon at week 6 and dirt md at week 8, 11 weekers go at 80 days on a 12 week schedule just like 8 weekers are on the 9 week schedule

dirt md 5ml/gallon, mother earth 10ml/gallon, mammoth p almost a full tsp/gallon I leave a little edge at the top of the scoop

Last edited:
G

In my opinion, most people are massively overapplying P. Recent trial I saw showed that 4-1-1 was what they found to be optimal for cannabis. Hope that is useful. I tend to want to run K a bit higher than that but agree on the P. Water stress leads to a need for high K, which is common in most grows.

Was that a trial you witnessed or is there public information on it?
Veg? Flower? Or whole grow?

G

Meta analysis of studies done over a period of years in Israel showed 4-6-5 to be the optimum for cannabis, as an all in one. I think saying people are massively over applying something is a bit too far reaching without knowing the media they are growing in. People here saying regular soil should have everything you need, then we must grow completely different grades of cannabis.

dank.Frank

Hey man, is there some reading on that subject?? I’ve heard that Israel is huge in growing and the science involved. Something about wanting to be massive exporters for legal markets including the US. I’m sure they have their shit together if that’s what they are angling for. I’m going to see if I can find more.

Latest posts

Latest posts