What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THE SCIENTIFIC SIDE OF CANNABISBREEDING

romanoweed

Hy Everyone

Here i wanna discuss the Science of Cannabisbreeding to give everyone some Instructions, or a Perspective about Achievements that may be possible.

I like to discuss understandable for Beginners.. so the everything seems very dooable, and is well teached... But if it gets to inpossible to speak like that, we rather speak purely Professional.

Can we just have a Roundtable wich may be a nice Read rather than a bunch of inadequate explained science-studies.

So the Focus is on Science, but i wanna include mind lightnings /brainstorms and even Assumements

Since Mindwandering brings a good Balance to the Scientific Facts

So basicaly we can probably inspire ourselve TROUGH the Collective where otherwise we probably would end up in a narrowminded End of Thoughts

Feel free to ask hard to formulate questions, Discuss far out theories, and please counter with PROOFEN Theses.
Cause Science may need Justification, but can be a nice read while questioning itselve while teaching..

romanoweed

Look, Ace Seeds are one of not so many Seedbanks producing Landraces, or only 2-Way Hybrids of Landr. . And one looknig at their Pictures i found out that asuumably they do very strong Inbreeding work. I just assume cause they look trough and trough like modern Foodhybrids, wich are all very strongly Inbreed, to gain stability, and therfore are easyer to Handle, cause you dont wanna adjust machines and Enviroment for thousands of Phenotype, no you want 100 Procent Stability... And when i look at those modern Foodplants i see the Same (fluffyness) or grainyness/roughness like i only see in ACE s Plants.. They seem to do strong inbreeding work. look:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Would be interesting to know if they actually gain very strong stability.. But there is very strong Enviromental Expressions in Cannabis Species if Grown in different Habitats, thats why Cannabislovers wont be able to get same high Percentage of Stability.. Cause of Natural reasons. Im shure they are top notch Inbreeding work, like in normal Food Hybrids. but i dont know. Wanted to Show that, cause this might be interesting for Landracelovers, since wanted Traits often Hide , and only show up at every 30 Plant.. But i still wouldnt like it in my Plants.. Not in this Way, there semms to be a Downside. It Kind of Looks not nice to the Eye. All in all, it is just interesting to see for me, and to study. It is surely better to be sold. And i would want maybe a Piece of it, but not the whole Cake...

romanoweed

Here some FoodHybrids: Is is a Little hard to see, if you never sam this Foodplants with own Eye for a wile i think, but some might see it, or know..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

romanoweed

Oh it would be a dream to describe what Nature does, however that would be... Probably, maybe like another Algorythm lookalike this one: The Game of Life... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=game+of+life&sp=mAEB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2vgICfQawE

For shure, that Game is just a trie to describe JUST SOMETHING , but that makes it also very Openminded, maybe it even fits something Truthfull

Just digging deeper in how something is like .. This is actually a very unknown Terretory.. With normal Mendel Theories we only describe what we see in something we ALREADY have.. Namely what may come out of a Cross in Close sight, and what not.

But it doesent anwser the more Evolutionary Questions....Not how Landraces change from place to place, what makes them Change... it is more like a shortdistance Lookingglass, that shows(in therms of landraces) that they may have ben CHANGED in Aperance trough the Enviroment... Or is that another Persons Theorie.. I forgot, but again: it doesent say How, or does it? Atleast not to a certain Extend that my interest was high enough to read deeper into it. Like a right theory (Newtons Gravitational Law) beeing correct, but compared beeing little to Einsteins Relativitytheorie wich itselve seems to leak against newer discoveries itselve already, wich tell that Everything in Universe is Expanding, and it s Attempts to describe it mathematically.

So i have yet to discover a fascinating Theorie, that anwsers much more substential Questions.. And i am probabl better off using actually Theories from other Fields, and applye them to it.. Even very small Theories may develop into something over Time...
I just say, i think these attemts do describe Nature, but are not like a very well known Competition today... Very rarely do find out Big things in this Genere

Are there some theories, wich i didnt mention, wich describe Natures Landraces to nice Degree? I would like to know

Last edited:

romanoweed

Or hear that: Why is a Thai Race a Thai, and Afghan a Afghan.. Some peolple will anwser cause of Enviroment that selected say a previousely neutral Plant to a Thai Plant.. But is it prooven? Can you ensure me that with an Very big amout of time of letting Afghanis sprout, and hopefully survive in Thailand, that they will all become the Psychodelic Zero bodyfeel trippy Weed of Thailand?

Or hear that: if in Thailand the most Cannabis is average in Strongness.. quiet ok, but rarely a smoke makes you insanely high... So high that you Hallucinate.. Now some People would tell it is recessive Trait thingy. Or it is External Input of unrealted genes that makes it vigourus... But to my knowlage nobody has ever testet this spontane and skyhigh jump of Genes.. Nobody has found any Proove, what makes that clearly visible Difference , like Day and night... How you wanna describe this insane Jump? from average Landrace Thai to Insane Landrace Thai?..

Does something give me some Clue atleast? And was it once prooved to a certain degree?
Even in Foodhybrids.. People to my knowledge cant really Explain why old Races had this insane Traits, like often missing Resistance.. They can see that there is Resistance.. But i never heard the Reciepe for it.. So thanks for post your Clues, Assumements, Observations.... whaterver you have seen. Or rare, small Studies.. wich await to be proofen.. or big ones wich await proof

romanoweed

Hy Need 4 seed

This Thread has ANY Sentence, but i pick one:

One Sentence:

How does Nature, or what it was (maybe wild Nature combined with a Human interaction (Exchange of Seeds and therefore Selection aswell)) create Landraces-Breeds, wich are soo strong that we Hallucinate, unlike its Neighbouring Landraces?

Put in any Trait instead of Hallucinating... probably you want back the Flavour, wich was soo impressive unlike the Flavour of any other Plant you once had

romanoweed

I said this Thread has ANY Sentence, but i picked one .. Probably you didnt see it cause i edited my Post after it. So i didnt really anwser all of the Questions.
Before i wrote One Sentence, but then i thought it would look like ONLY one Sentence, but that wasnt what i meant it... I meant one OF many Sentences...
So i Edited it and wrote : this Thread has ANY Sentence, but i picked one

Last edited:

Robney

If I understand correctly, you're curious as to what makes certain plants within a certain population special compared to the rest (awesome thai compared to mediocre thai). I don't think anyone can say specifically why, but there is an understanding of how it happens. Check out this wikipedia link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiosis

romanoweed

Thanks for directing me there
There is different Kind of Science. Regarding it s justifies,: some science can predict what will happen if..
some can even more.. it can make you interact. it can say if YOU doo this then that happens.. often then, you are able to create things, or recreate what you wish..

Thanks for the direction to this Link!

Hey, i never heard of this Cellular science to be a part of studying Plant Behaviour(Breedingwise)

I will read and maybe make a conclusion, maybe i can get some Ideas how to interact with Cells, atleast the Ideas.
Will take some time maybe..

Cvh

Supermod
I have only read fragments of your posts.
But I have read enough to know that you can grow some mean herb.

Best whishes for 2019!

Robney

Meiosis is how pollen is created. Remember, the pollen created will be genetically different, so it's not a tool for predicting results, but rather understanding where the results come from.

romanoweed

Im getting the Impression that pure Landraces are often described as gloomy, but also as potent in rather rare Phenos. Comparing it to Haze wich is different landraces crossed together , but from then on not changing the lineage: meaning they are only inbreed from then on (if even).. im getting the Ipression the Hazes are overall getting you done all the time, but arent as outstanding in phenos like simple landraces.
So therefore i think there is something like spectral Highliting going on in every individual seedling .. but in Landraces if there is a Highlighting of(lets call it) higher frequencies (or a certain color) of the whole Spectrum in a certain individual happening , you may not prefere this assumably middle frequencie in assumed Thai Landr. .
So only when the Spectrum highlighting is on the high frequencies, you get a desired high of a Thai plant. otherwise its gloomy.
Now to Hazes: when there is a assumed Highlighting of middle frequencies goiing on, you get a desired effect from these plants, cause assumably the highlighted middle frequencies showed atleast a part of your Haze in the right light, assumably the Columbian part, therefore you get a desired effect every time. But also ever you get a certain muddiness(not gloomyness), wich isnt in Landraces. And when this very unique Pheno comes out in Lnadr. , wich i call a certain Strain in its right Light then you are onto something great..
So i dont wanna call it a Trick, nor a real solution, but rather a solver of the problem when dooing a Haze. But i think this Thaipheno is what i like.. but thats just my taste. I think somehow thats how these Strains compare..

romanoweed

found interesting new aproches for to describe breeding. I just post some links, i just dont find the time to really go into this cannabisbreedingscince thing otherwise i would share some thoughts, but wanted to show them..:

The 1st and secound link are about special Aproches for Breeding.

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_invasion_analysis
2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_game_theory

3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_genetics

Hey and thanks CVH for good wishes..!

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
I find it hard to understand the theory of a science if im not undertaking the practice, so although i have tried for years to understand things like the laws of inheritance, homo/heterozygous etc, AaAa etc etc.

I stiĺl really dont get it, and unless you maintain multiple of your own IBL'S and cross them together, observe a large number in a consistant environment of the F1 and F2, its not easy to do practically speaking.

romanoweed

And breeders now all agre, that we are getting problems cause the lack of NEW material. They basically say that they have a huge problem.. And i heard nobody fighting this claim, cause it might be wrong, but i didnt. Thats why i dont follow the conventional breeding science, cause it asks for help. Ok they say that there is a lack of new natural material, and you could claim, that they just cant get ahold of new material cause to expensive to search this landr. , but is that the case. I mean you could also tell, that they have a part of nature that they dont understand, and they just need it. Scientifically that means, that you have some holes on the map, and therefore a lack of control, and therefore dont have a really good breedingscience.. A good science is the one that allows you to say if i do that than this happens, or if that happens than that will happen. And there is a big unknown, describing from where things came from. And only we can just describe where things will go from here on. It actually describes even the end. Once you have no more natural imput, then we go from fresh outcrossing to old outcrossing(all outcrosses done to highest degree) .Or the other way, all inbreeding done, strongest selection of traits done.. No more highlighting of traits possible , otherwise genetical mutations happening.

And then? this endcrosses couldnt be kept on like PRESERVED , or how you wanna inbreed an endselected ibl? without mutations? Or you just forget the outcrossingvigor of your last Outcross posible and inbreed it, until its genetically mutating. End again. Probably you could go in and outbreeding in two phases: in to the end , out to the end, and on and on.. maybe, but thats pure asuumment, probably this would be impossible. There we are atleast at the Endstation in therms of Prediction.
I would like to tell you more about the specific things you wonder, but i rather have hope for maths, and computers finding new theories.. And think there are some good aproaches in the secound link. here again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_game_theory

But there is more to discover.

Last edited:

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find it hard to understand the theory of a science if im not undertaking the practice, so although i have tried for years to understand things like the laws of inheritance, homo/heterozygous etc, AaAa etc etc.

I stiĺl really dont get it, and unless you maintain multiple of your own IBL'S and cross them together, observe a large number in a consistant environment of the F1 and F2, its not easy to do practically speaking.

It's very easy to do you just get a book & learn not piss about pollen chucking hoping to come up with trumps..

You should try real breeding work on some of your hacks & see if you can breed anything with known pedigree rather than messing folks about growing hay & Nettles & trolling forums.. Your already doing it just it's like a cowboy so all you need to do now is practice doing it properly get used to working out the science or you will be old & fat with no stability..

You must know that you only need 16 plants to work a trait.. Yes numbers are good but you can't so don't use it as an excuse..

Start a thread & try breed something & compete with the guys who grow the stuff that you look through rather than fan boying them off with banter, show em what you have done with basic classical breeding tools like Topcrosses & test crosses to get a pure aa AA line for finish time..

You've been @ this long enough..