What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pathogens within clean and whithin organic soil grow room.

Iamnumber

Hi,

Considering two cannabis grow rooms. A) as clean as one can keep without excessive time investment in cleaning. and B) Grow room with organic soil.

Dose cannabisplant in itself host (be a carrier without getting sick) pathogens (like some mold) ? (that would take hold to vacant & suitable spot ?)

My understanding is that using organic soil will increase the risk of some pathogen (good or bad) taking a hold if there is a vacant & suitable spot for growing.

vacant and suitable spot .. by this I mean .. open petridish with nutrisious agar in it .. that should be favorable for most pathogens (good or bad).

The best security measures against pathogens is the ecologically driven diversity of species and scale of existence. Aka, you want as many species as possible and as many "steps in size" of organism from plant to bacteria. Aka, you want to have insects, worms, nematodes, fungi, lady bugs, etc. If you can get some salamanders established in your raised beds, more power to you. If you can get a cat to take car of the rats, that might be as full circle as it gets.

Robinson

There is always a risk that something may go wrong ... Organic soil may have a greater risk that any pathogen will take hold of it, but keep in mind that the final organic soil plantation will be cleaner and more qualitative than in artificial soil ... Think what is best for you.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Good organic soil will outcompete pathogens and not let them take over but you big problems are probably going to be introduced by you to your grow room such as mites and if you get them you are clearing/cleaning out all your shit either way so it makes little difference.

Just dont use poorly composted or really anaerobic bases or ammendments from unreliable sources and the chances of any serious infestation is unlikely.. Also you have to make sure the mix drains well and you dont over water it or you'll push the root zone towards anaerobic and acid conditions that favour root rot which will help feed pathogens.

bestothebest

/\ what SOG said. Make your soil properly and the good stuff in it will keep most pathogens from showing up. Worm bins are a good investment if possible

Iamnumber

Thank you for your responses!

I worded my question bit poorly. The situation is..

A) from 'clean' grow room and B) from grow room with organic soil.

Both rooms are growing happily and without any adverse pathogen or pest taking a dominant (such that it could be observed) situation in grow room.

what is the risk of some pathogen living (unobseved) within growroom (hemp/cannabis as a carrier) .. and therefore risk contaminating a adjacent clean room?

I have found few notes in the internet that some mold would live dormant with cannabis plant (more than average sample of normal home air). There are (I bet) such 'kept in check' pathogens within organic soil .. but I dont know..

So.. grow rooms A and B within surgical operating rooms (super clean) with petri dish with nutritious agar solution (good and vacant home for any pathogen) .. what / how big would the risks be of something taking a hold in clean room FROM growr oom A or B?

So I am asking to verify some info I have read on internet and what I have concluded.. Thank you for taking the time to read! :tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Well there's more life in the organic room. Controlled or otherwise. So more to get out into your clean room. Which won't be a clean room with something living in it, friendly or not.

troutman

Seed Whore
Clean grow rooms with proper air movement, temperature, humidity and no crowded plants have less problems.

Dog Star

Veteran
Soil can contain Antrax.. but that doesnt mean you need sterile clean room for growing..

aeration of organic nute waterings will also help fight pathogens as you will develop
more beneficial colonies that will not aloud prevailing of anaerobic ones..