What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GA3: How to germinate old seeds?

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is more laughable is the coconut water one. I mentioned it to Max Lumens before all that shit happened & he was thinking it was the Bees knees.

Anyway I've been researching it for 5 year now.. & No coconut water don't work on dead seed..

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Look dude I'm not the one that puts up 6 lights & forgets to turn of the moon lighting off so that all 6 lights don't flower :)

I've grown more weed than I need too & I have the qualifications, the contacts & the ability to prove stuff scientifically..

I also rooted those snips but they went into flower so I rooted them in the most difficult of situations :)

You still growing nettles for breeding purposes under Hps or are you using that British sun meode?

It's 21c outside no clouds & I have your Mexigan in the soil mix now.. I hope that they work for you mate..

I suggest next time you breed to do big progeny runs here or in Africa & get more seeds so you have a higher % chance of viability on all the amazing crosses you did rather than pounds of cured flowers..

I'm here if you want to chat always & I like the banter bro :)

What else have you got that will be interesting? Gardens are 10 a penny here.. It's time to germinate what can I do for you?

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good lad, thank you for testing the photoperiod stability of the cutting :) Your stress tested them to the Rass bredrin. That Rude girl is Strong..

Come see me & have a holiday. Bring some seeds..

Sachiel

What pgr do you use to induce callus ? IBA+TDZ ?

Im starting in tissue culture, any advice is very welcome

Hey Unnamedmike,

I usually use NAA and BAP in concentrations of 1mg/L for both. For the media itself I use half strenght Gamborg´s B5 salts and vitamins.

I really hope you can get a few cells to grow ;)

As soon as I can find the charger for my Camera I´ll post a few pics of the seedlings I have going now!

Sachiel

No amount of tissue culture will save a seed lot. Read the fundamental principles of micropropagation.

Furthermore have there been any successful regeneration of 2000 year old seeds of any genus?

First of all, TC was able to bring back seeds as old as 31.800 years.
Here is the official scientific sheet:
https://www.pnas.org/content/109/10/4008.short

Furtermore, the basic principle of TC is to be able to regenerate plants from as little as a handful of viable cells. So even if the endosperm is (nearly) used up you can still animate the remainig living cells to multiply (callus) and regenerate plants from those (wich is basically what they did with these 31.800 y. old seed)

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
There is coconut water and coconut water on the shelves in the supermarket.

Tested it on garlic which was planted and given water for several times, but no action, untill i gave the 15 ml/ ltr solution and they began to sprout.Seeds with a hard shell will be difficult, but its not you've pay a high price for good quality coconut water.For €2 you've a 300 ml bottle of fresh coconut water.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sachiel that is amazing that they managed to save frozen seeds but we already know frozen seeds remain the most viable of all stored seeds.. I am aware of the processes of the various propagation principles but had no idea that there was a way to save the embryo if it was compromised by ice or desiccation. You still can't germinate the seed with cultivation tho.

My research has been on preventing respiration & proper storage methods..

Are there scientific papers to say that either GA3 or Coconut water can help desiccated cannabis seeds that I have missed?
TC is only able to regenerate if there are uninfected totipotent cells left to expend from..

I hope we are able to put this micropropagation into practice with cannabis seeds in the future.

Coconut water is often used to propagate epiglyphic orchids but I do not hear reports on it having some magical properties. As for watering garlic & gertting bulbs @ optimum saturation then applying coconut water & saying it works is not a test I am prepared to listen to guys.

It's not split any seeds that I tested faster than water or made batches of dud seeds grow beyond the radicle....

If seeds work then no amount of extra care need be used if they are viable....

There are nutrient packs for micropropagation that I haven't played with because I would rather start with healthy seeds with vigour.

I haven't tried to rescue a mummified foetus...

Sachiel

Hey Guys,

so after a few days of digging, I finally managed to find my charger.

So, as promised, here are some pics of the callus I was able to grow from old "red thai" seeds.

picture.php

As you might be able to see, I put five embryos into the media, but only two produced callus so far.

picture.php

These seeds are from a batch of Thai weed with red strings - therefor the name... I can´t confirm that they are Thai, and I have no Idea how old they are exactly. When soaked in water, a few of them sprout, but the radicle slowly dies.

The next step will be to cut these into smaller pieces and further cultivate them. If they reach a size of about 2cm², they will be transferred to Media containing 0,5mg/L NAA, 5mg/L BAP and 40mg/L AS to induce meristemoid formation.

xerb

Try this germinating your old seeds

Try this germinating your old seeds

There was some great information given earlier -

And it was poo-poo's by the experts.

Start with 1 gallon water
add 1 Tablespoon BioAg Ful-Power
add 1 teaspoon Pro-tek

Soak seed for 24 hours in this solution
Then plant seed shallowly 1/4 " deep
Water with this solution

A mild kelp tea will also help the seedlings.

This plant is the best looking in my current batch - but this is just 14 days from it poking it's head up.

I have been having great luck with seeds stored in the fridge for almost 30 years. Cheers!

PS. The smaller plants in the smaller pots are 5 days behind this one - a Thai cross I am trying to limit growth on.

xerb

I forgot to mention, this is a Grapefruit x Haze cross - but all the seedlings show the same vigor.