What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone breed males?

thejact55

So the process is the same as making femmed seeds? Just C. Silver on a male? I havent done heavy research on making femmed seeds, but in my light reading it doesnt seem that hard. It kinda blows my mind that nobody has ever done, nor tested this.
Shit, ill make some C. Silver and try it. Lol just give me some months or longer to get around to it.

beta

Veteran
So the process is the same as making femmed seeds? Just C. Silver on a male? I havent done heavy research on making femmed seeds, but in my light reading it doesnt seem that hard. It kinda blows my mind that nobody has ever done, nor tested this.
Shit, ill make some C. Silver and try it. Lol just give me some months or longer to get around to it.

That wouldn't work. Silver blocks ethylene production specifically. Ethylene is the plant's feminizing hormone. Using colloidal silver or STS would just make a male MORE male.

djimb

Veteran
The process for reversing males is more or less the same as that for reversing females, but instead of silver, you use ethylene, usually in the form of ethephon (available as 'florel from Monterrey) here's a thread for reference: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99597

I tried it on one of my Colombian males, but it was too deep into flower to make much difference. I got a few pistils, but the leaves burned and it died shortly after. I may have overdone it.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will end up with about 25-33% females in any resultant 'masculinized' seed, as males have both x and y sex chromosomes. You'll get embryos with xy, xx, and yy, but it's questionable whether yy 'supermales' (whose offspring would all be male) will even develop into viable seeds.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is true...
But kind of vague...

Folks whine about cannabis not being true breeding but they need to expand on what they want to breed true.

When speaking of "true breeding" cultivars, folks need to say what it breeds true for... If at all...

True breeding tomatoes dont just make tomatoes...
They make tomatoes that produce very specific characteristics.

With that said...
Folks can still realize variations within a true breeding line.
Yea well said!

Xs121

Hello Folks,

New here and need your opinion on a male to breed.

I'm planning to do a line breeding of skunk #1 and in the process of selecting the right male.

A little bit about me relative to breeding. I have decades of experience in breeding gamefowls (cockfighting). Those who are familiar with this kind of hobby knows that most gamefowls are heavily inbred and yet breeders are able to retain vigour for the specific breed. In that note, I'm planning to apply the same technique to Cannabis.

My current situation is, I have 6 males of skunk #1. At the very first sign of balls, I separated them from the rest of my plant, out of the 6, 2 have a musty smell when I rubbed their stem.

Currently, the 2 males look like this
VqZgV8our5kMwUmH9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VqZgV8our5kMwUmH9

As you can see, there are "white spike like" sticking out. I've never seen anything like that before in any male flowers. It look like female flowers but its not. I'm wondering if anybody have seen anything like this or anybody know what part of the male flower are those?

The rest of the males look like this
XAcVZtqDwmVnb71t7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAcVZtqDwmVnb71t7

Thank you for any input

p.s. looks like I'm not allowed to post pictures yet, so i'll just provide the link of the pictures

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Those are called stipules. They are a non-sexual plant part you will see them on males and females. To quote the definition:

a small leaflike appendage to a leaf, typically borne in pairs at the base of the leaf stalk.

Those ones are prominent because of the shape of the plant and it's age. If you look carefully you'll start seeing a lot more of them. In fact I can see some on the male in your other picture.

Xs121

Those are called stipules. They are a non-sexual plant part you will see them on males and females.

Thank you. I didnt thought they are stipules since I thought they always comes in pair.

Anyway, I havent seen anything like that so prominent in my 2 males compared to the other 4. All of them btw are of the same age.

Xs121

Anyway, it's just too coincidental that this physical attribute just happen to occur on the 2 males I've selected for their smell.

HerbChambers

Is anyone reversing males to see how they grow out as females? I’ve seen mention of it on IG and heard about it on podcast.

Booyah!

I have over 25 males in an isolated indoors grow just to find which one is better. The number started at around 50. Many were eliminated for continuing to pump out new balls after being sexed and thrown in veg. Many more were eliminated for being weak. Should be an interesting male only grow once I flip and start evaluating terpines.

rolandomota

Veteran
That's normal for a male to keep flowering after sexing with 12 12 because they go into flower mode faster than females so it's harder to stay in veg for them after they start to think it's flower time

PDX Dopesmoker

I have over 25 males in an isolated indoors grow just to find which one is better. The number started at around 50. Many were eliminated for continuing to pump out new balls after being sexed and thrown in veg. Many more were eliminated for being weak. Should be an interesting male only grow once I flip and start evaluating terpines.

Thats a neat project, are there gonna be pictures of the dudes anywhere?

Booyah!

That's normal for a male to keep flowering after sexing with 12 12 because they go into flower mode faster than females so it's harder to stay in veg for them after they start to think it's flower time

I understand males are first to flower many times, but if they don't reveg for me they are a little too eager for me and get cut. About one in five don't reveg. Using this method I am left with more stable males that create more photosensitive offspring. I'm down to 25 males now. I started with 50 males out of a 200 seed run.

I'll post some pictures by the end of the week. They are all recovering from stress testing.

I was laughing with my brother about this the other day. I think I'm the only person I know that has an all male grow going.

Booyah!

The males put into a bathroom for a few days while the main room is being used as a rain delay for my females. They are all recovering from stress testing which has eliminated over half already. I didn't want to move them into the bathroom but sometimes you just don't have enough space. These will be left on 24 hrs due to the limited lumens I'm getting in here. A few in here are really catching my attention so far as far as Terpines and particular growth traits.

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_230344.jpg
    IMG_20190203_230344.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 14