What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace rig: Mauritius x Ethiopian (4x)

Podenco

Lavender sounds very nice.

Dubi, I have a question.

I have a good amount of seeds of M x E times itself. The M x E turned out very uniform in the end. I thought there were differences in shape or branching but I don't see them anymore.

What types of plants can I expect when growing the self pollinated seeds? Will they split up in discernible types anyway?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Podenco,

The Mauritius x Ethiopian is a F1 hybrid therefore quite uniform. The F2 generation should produce much more varied phenotypic expressions, from Mauritius leaning phenos, to more Ethiopian phenos, intermediate expressions and new recombinations not found in the F1.

Podenco

Thank you Dubi.

Too bad it is not simple Mendelian genetics, that would lead to 25% "pure" Mauritius types. Ever since I read the "Mauritius" topic in landraces I have been in love with the plant I saw, tiny thin leaves and wispy buds and I do not mind waiting 4-5 months while it flowers, it will be a challenge to keep a plant in good condition for that long. I like the growing as much as the smoking.

I have plenty of F2 seeds to play with so I put 6 M x E F2 seeds in soil just to see what plants I get. I do not want to grow them out, my focus will be on my Bangi Haze and Ethiopian x Malawi SCROGs in bigger pots.

First batches of M x E are dry enough to smoke but I am waiting for a dedicated moment.

Podenco

Update 6 Dec.

Both feminized Bangi haze and Ethiopia x Malawi sprouted and are growing hard. I have 6 M x E times pollinated by itself (F2) and 3 bagseed Thai plants in the as well. Focus will be a SCROG of the 2 feminized, while checking the type of plants that the F2 and Thai give.

It must be said that seed plants do a lot better than clones in my hot and dry windy box. Soil surface temperature reaches 43 Celsius with lights close. Seed plants can decide their leaf-root ratio and stomata dynamics from the start. Clones need more moisture and manipulation.

picture.php

A PAR meter passed through my house, so I did some quick and dirty measurements. I knew I had a lot of light based on the short internodes but now I have a value, ~ 700 - 750 mmol/Msq/s at ~ 30 cm of the lamps.

picture.php

picture.php

Most interesting observation is that my DIY rig of 3 x 20 = 60 watt led strips glued on aluminium heat sinks give a higher par value than my 110 watt T-neon (PL-L tubes), 225 vs 390 mmol/msq/s. Both light types are 6000 - 6500 K.

For the eye, it does not look like that, T-neon looks brighter. I like T-neon, it runs cool and works well but plants do as well or better under the led, both lights are 6000-6500K. So I can save 14 hours of 50 watts.

Podenco

Note for myself and everybody.

I had a liter of very dilute seaweed solution left over from other plants. I thought it wasteful to just dump it in the outdoor garden so I put it in the tray with my seedlings, thinking a good soak would be OK and evaporation would get rid of moisture fast.

It was not OK. 1 hour later the leafs went from praying to drooping and overnight brown spots appeared on the lower leaves. The substrate dried out over the next day but the new growth is stunted, instead of nicely folding open from the budding point the new leaves "stick together". I am sure they get over it but let's not do it again. I need to stick to my rather dry regime.

Podenco

Update 4jan2021.

Mauritius x Ethiopia smoke report. Dried weeks, stored 4-5 weeks dark at room temp in closed pots.

Smell: carrot with "acid candy".

I took 2 puffs of a pure (small rizla) spliff. Took 5 to 10 minutes to feel high. Effect was very "clean", there was no need for me to sit down. I think I had a sensation of body warmth. Short term memory was quite affected, in waves forgetting that I was high, wondering for minutes what I was doing where. Pleasant heavy daze. Music was as awesome as it could be. Saliva and eyes dried up. Effect lasted for 2 hours or so.

For me, it is not suited for work or DIY projects. Effect is too dazed. Also not the best for sofa laying/long movies.

It is stronger than you would expect from its looks.

Pleasant high, good grass. I like it.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad you like the outcome of your Mauritius x Ethiopia harvest Pondeco and that you find its potency stronger than expected :)

Very happy to receive more feedback about this limited edition. Enjoy! :wave:

Podenco

Thank you Dubi for creating this type of lovely grass.

Meanwhile my Ethiopia x Malawi and Bangi are growing fast, I'll get some pics up.

Podenco

Update 4feb2021.

Educational maneuvers. I kind of screwed up my Ethiopia x Malawi and Bangi grow. Plants were doing good untill I put them in big pots in hot soil (miz with guano etc). This bag was over a year old and stood wettish in the shed but I used in anyway. In a few days growth stunted, leaf got pale and yellow with brown rusty spots on lower leafs. After 10 days I flushed till run-off multiple times with ph 6, ph of run-off was 6.7. Plants were still stunted and substrate was not dried by too small not growing plants. Cuttings I took and put to quality seed mix at 25 C turned green and rooted quickly.

Flushing with ph-d water did something but not much. So I doubted to cull the plants but I would loose my relatively big plants. So I bought biobizz light mix, cut the rootball back to the small pot volume it came from. I water very lightly with ph-d water. After a few days new growth was better, more green and straight leaf. Let's see what they do before I turn them into cutting and make a SOG I didn't want or start seeds.

Last edited:

Podenco

I still can't edit my posts.

But I am sure it is the soil. I also have a Desfran in good quality normal potting substrate and that is a vicious growing green plant.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Impressive results in a small space for these big Sativa's. :)

One more post and you will be able to edit!

Podenco

Thanks TexasTea.

The M x E has been stored in pots for 2.5 months. It is pretty strong. Smoking it with tobacco decreases its effects but pure it is an amusing intense grass. One gets high like a teenager so to speak. The sensation of heat/sweating is really typical.

I finally fixed my new phone to transfer pics. Here's 2 of the M x E.

picture.php

picture.php

Podenco

11feb20201.

I am very glad my plants bounced back. The yellow leaves with rust spots and the stunted growth disappeared after transplanting to a good potting mix. My original plan, LST 3 bigger plants and harvest late spring is still valid.

Box. Keeping big plants low/small is the challenge now. I had SOG screens for Ethiopia x Malawi and Bhangi but the whole transplant messed that up. And screens are not that handy in a small box. I will just cut and bend and keep like 10 buds per plant fit above the space of the holding tray. Lots of "Bonsai-ing".

I plan to switch to 12-12 in 10 days or so.

picture.php

Dutch Passion Desfran. Vigorous plant, in good potting mix from the start.

picture.php

E x M. Narrow leaves are back, nice and green.

picture.php

Bhangi. Let's see what it does. I will cut it back quite a bit and give it a good week veg.

picture.php

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Looking great. Mine is small and overfed, looks like a clawing baby octopus....I am trying to get a couple of cuttings to root, so we'll see how it goes in a few weeks.

Podenco

Ha yeah. The biggest problem for my plants is, was, myself. I tend to overwater. But I learned my lesson the last grow and this one, with the soaking. And I am big on the perlite these days and use air pots.

If your plant is strongly affected and it is suitable, I think it pays to transplant to fresh low fert high quality soil.

So far, all ACE narrow leaf plants clone very easily. A moist box at 25 C and you have clones. Warmth really helps.

Podenco

I cut and bent my plants. I sacrificed quite some of leaves of the Bhangi and Desfran and removed a lot of small grow points on the stems. This will set them back but they now get a week to recover. Remaining grow points are more or less in a low horizontal plane now.

M x E

picture.php

Bhangi

picture.php

Desfran

picture.php

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
I cut and bent my plants. I sacrificed quite some of leaves of the Bhangi and Desfran and removed a lot of small grow points on the stems. This will set them back but they now get a week to recover. Remaining grow points are more or less in a low horizontal plane now.
Your doing a really good LST-work Podenco. :good:

P :smoke:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad you are still enjoying with your previous Mauritius x Ethiopia harvest Podenco.
Sounds like a really electric and exciting tropical sativa smoke, as should be with this F1.

Best wishes with the new cycle.

Podenco

Thanks Paddi and Dubi.

Plants recover from the LST really quick. I am waiting for some shoots to grow longer to bend these too and then I go to 12-12. I might start running the UV tube for half an hour mid day.

Let's see how to manage the stretch everybody is writing about.

Cannabis is such a lovely plant to work with. It responds in hours to changes. Tomatoes do too but for a decent yield one needs more space than an Ikea cabinet.