What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ka5/VB/OTHxLieu Hanh and Vietnamese Black repro

SolarLogos

Pollinating technique

Pollinating technique

Hi Solar,

Perhaps not appropriate here so answer wherever you think best (I will PM you), but I’d be indebted to learn your tips/techniques for doing targeted pollinations with so many plants around and ensuring seeds in a given Bud/plant come from the intended pollen donor. Many thanks and stay safe!

Cheers
F2F
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes, I do that but not for any important projects, just for playing around. But I've not seen any contamination in my method. I wrap a piece of news paper under the branch I want to pollinate, then fold the edges up so it can wrap around the branch. I tape the bottom of the newspaper around the branch below the buds I want to pollinate. Then I tape the top of the newspaper together so only the top surface area of the bud is showing through the opening on top. Then I cut a hole in the bottom of a plastic garbage bag and put it over the branch with the newspaper. The plastic bag works as a chamber you work in. Before I pollinate, I spray down every flower on the plant except the one inside the newspaper and garbage bag. Water kills pollen. I do this to outdoor plants. If it's an indoor plant, same thing just do it inside a room in the house, take it out of the tent if you can.
Work inside the plastic bag. Open your pollen and brush or dust the pollen, brushing is safer. If you can find a woman's make up brush at the store, the real fluffy one's about a 1/4 inch wide, they work great. After pollinating, tape up the rest of the newspaper around the flower you pollinated. Go wash your hands with water. Spray down the rest of the plant again. Carefully take off the plastic garbage bag and then take a damp rag and wipe carefully the outside of the newspaper to ensure there is no pollen on it. If the newspaper is not completely sealed up, seal it up so no pollen escapes or add another newspaper around the branch/flower on top of this newspaper so no pollen escapes. I leave mine for 3 days then remove. Wash down the branch to kill any viable pollen left over.
This method is fine for fun, but any serious projects it's always safer to use separate plants for each cross.
I also sent you a pm
Best of luck brother!
[/FONT]

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Yellow fever they call it. I guess that is why I married one;)
Absolutely. You'll be one of the first to try them. Glad you are interested and I'm always happy to share. I will pay any amount necessary to cultivate, preserve and share these wonderful gems. I love sharing, but no bartering, no money... just the gift.
Peace, God bless

hehe yellow fever.. enjoy.. your purple vb x dark LH sounds great. I think I didnt get many purple ones. maybe two or one, will see. they have black tips of very young leafs. so I think those are purples or colorful? now all are green.
picture.php

SolarLogos

hehe yellow fever.. enjoy.. your purple vb x dark LH sounds great. I think I didnt get many purple ones. maybe two or one, will see. they have black tips of very young leafs. so I think those are purples or colorful? now all are green. View Image
Mine stayed green until the cold weather came, but the green pheno will stay a lime green and have no hint of purple. I crossed a lime green female and male, so I have an all green line, aside from the purple.

Here was the description of the VB
Vietnamese Black
Description

Donated by Anonymous (check Private Breeders Stock) Heritage: ---------- Nam F1 (Vietnamese sativa hybrid, aka Vietnam Black, aka NAMweed) -Original F1 cross: -Male Northern Vietnam/China Boarder (indica influence) -Female Southern Vietnam outskirts of Saigon (truebreeding pure Sativa NAM) Breeder's description: --------------------- Originating from Vietnamese genetics brought back to North America in 77, she's an extremely potent exotic sativa. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR MEDICIAL USERS: usually resulting in shortness of breath,
difficulty breathing, raised blood pressure, leans towards paranoia. Her sweet tropical ripe mango scent and sickly sweet taste will speak for itself. Vigorous strong brancher and top heavy - support recommended. A very heavy yield compensates for a longer flowering period. Indoor
Specs: Flowering time: 9+ weeks, Height 150 cm, Yield: 1+ gm/watt

A Canadian seed bank is selling the LH for $151.20 for 10 seeds. I prefer to give them away after this repro.
Lieu Hanh
Vietnamese x Neville's Haze

Hundreds of Neville’s haze f2s were grown out in an effort to show recessive parental traits. After careful selection and tasting we decided on very sativa dominate side of Neville’s haze that had a flowering time just short of 15 weeks and had the trippiest profound smoke quality with no paranoia or couch lock. Easy let down and no hang over.

An extremely early flowering Vietnamese male carrying an almost pure single cola shape growth was put over our specially selected Nevs haze girl.
The Viet male was so early that our girl was not prepared/advanced enough in flowering to take a dusting so pollen was collected and stored until she was ready.

The results have produced a sweet a piny/pepper-fruity aroma and when cured correctly brings out a lovely cameral hashy taste when smoked. Not all off spring will bring this intense thick taste but they all carry slight undertones and very enjoyable.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
A Canadian seed bank is selling the LH for $151.20 for 10 seeds. I prefer to give them away after this repro.
>

well they have it.. but they are legit? I doubt highly. we can discuss it here as they also have ACE seeds :D they have, for example, canela - I think this strain is not produced by ACE from 2005? or so? it is some scam, it seems to be fraudulent.. or they reproduce it somehow and sell as original. as they have new 2019 stock of Afropips Swazi Red. Afropips is not among us for long time..

SolarLogos

well they have it.. but they are legit? I doubt highly. we can discuss it here as they also have ACE seeds :D they have, for example, canela - I think this strain is not produced by ACE from 2005? or so? it is some scam, it seems to be fraudulent.. or they reproduce it somehow and sell as original. as they have new 2019 stock of Afropips Swazi Red. Afropips is not among us for long time..
I agree with you. I don't trust anyone selling seeds at that price, it makes you wonder how far their selfishness will go. I've heard of $500 for RKS, but if someone is that greedy, can you really trust they are telling you the truth?. I don't have time to grow something out just to find out I was scammed. It's not so much about the money as it is the time. At my age, I have a lot of seeds to go through and not enough time, actually I think that is everyone's problem, not just mine:D
I would have to say our sources are legit, and our mutual friend and Asian Beauty is very real indeed. I'm looking forward to going through all these seeds, reproducing them and sharing them.

Peace, God bless

therevverend

Veteran
Another nice trick you've shared, your pollination technique. The best place to start if you want to learn how to successfully pollinate your sinsemilla is Robert Connell Clarke's Marijuana Botany. The entire book has been copied onto IC, I'll post a link to the thread.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=8446&page=2

The relevant chapters on pollination are posts 12-14. It's too bad it doesn't include the diagrams and drawings, there's one showing a plant with labeled bags attached to several branches. Anyone growing cannabis should own a copy. I've lost mine in one of my book piles, it's easier to look it up online then to sort through my stacks.

A friend uses a modified version that's quite simple. He puts the pollen in a turkey bag, the type for roasting turkeys, and labels it. In the late afternoon he carefully slides it over an entire branch. Then he ties it off so the pollen can't escape. Then he shakes it for 30 seconds. He leaves it tied on, over night. He'll shake it a few more times. The next morning he carefully removes the bag, before the sun bakes it and burns the branch. It works well, a large branch that's at peak receptiveness will produce between 200 and 800 seeds. More or less.

Lieu Hanh
Vietnamese x Neville's Haze

Beyond the price, which is at the highest end of what I'd consider paying, I don't trust Canadian seed banks. They used to be top of the line, in the last 20 years they've degenerated into rip off scams. Unless a bank comes highly recommended, with good reviews and testimony from many satisfied customers, I assume it's phony. It's too bad.

As far as expensive seeds, Snow High Seeds has the best overpriced expensive gear. You can't find a lot of the stuff they sell, so I guess rarity drives up the market value. They aren't a scam, 5 years ago or so I met the breeder. He seemed cool, energetic old hippy guy who loved his sativas. I was checking out the Snow High thread the other day, came across this guy's post. Sort of mind blowing. I've heard a lot about 'Vietnamese Laughing Grass' but never seen it executed properly.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=311108&page=65

(tried to link to the one post showing the Laughing Grass but it linked to the entire page instead. It's post 645, about halfway down the page.)

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I agree with you. I don't trust anyone selling seeds at that price, it makes you wonder how far their selfishness will go. I've heard of $500 for RKS, but if someone is that greedy, can you really trust they are telling you the truth?. I don't have time to grow something out just to find out I was scammed. It's not so much about the money as it is the time. At my age, I have a lot of seeds to go through and not enough time, actually I think that is everyone's problem, not just mine:D
I would have to say our sources are legit, and our mutual friend and Asian Beauty is very real indeed. I'm looking forward to going through all these seeds, reproducing them and sharing them.

Peace, God bless

well I prefer real people, like you. over those fake ones :D internet arm chair experts.. that is my problem too. I have some colombians to grow and south asian etc. I was painfully deciding if I pop this asian beauty, choc thai or colombian gold. then I read notes about namblack terps from you and I thought this great namblack genetics will fit to my mango joy(laos/mangohz) cut just right. with choc thai it would make weird taste I am sure, as I crossed chothai hybrid with my tom hill haze mango line.. effect was spectacular though. I love mango weed!!! if I will find some exceptional namblack female, it will be just nice bonus. it will be fantastic adventure I cant wait :D

SolarLogos

Another nice trick you've shared, your pollination technique. The best place to start if you want to learn how to successfully pollinate your sinsemilla is Robert Connell Clarke's Marijuana Botany. The entire book has been copied onto IC, I'll post a link to the thread.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=8446&page=2

The relevant chapters on pollination are posts 12-14. It's too bad it doesn't include the diagrams and drawings, there's one showing a plant with labeled bags attached to several branches. Anyone growing cannabis should own a copy. I've lost mine in one of my book piles, it's easier to look it up online then to sort through my stacks.

A friend uses a modified version that's quite simple. He puts the pollen in a turkey bag, the type for roasting turkeys, and labels it. In the late afternoon he carefully slides it over an entire branch. Then he ties it off so the pollen can't escape. Then he shakes it for 30 seconds. He leaves it tied on, over night. He'll shake it a few more times. The next morning he carefully removes the bag, before the sun bakes it and burns the branch. It works well, a large branch that's at peak receptiveness will produce between 200 and 800 seeds. More or less.

Beyond the price, which is at the highest end of what I'd consider paying, I don't trust Canadian seed banks. They used to be top of the line, in the last 20 years they've degenerated into rip off scams. Unless a bank comes highly recommended, with good reviews and testimony from many satisfied customers, I assume it's phony. It's too bad.

As far as expensive seeds, Snow High Seeds has the best overpriced expensive gear. You can't find a lot of the stuff they sell, so I guess rarity drives up the market value. They aren't a scam, 5 years ago or so I met the breeder. He seemed cool, energetic old hippy guy who loved his sativas. I was checking out the Snow High thread the other day, came across this guy's post. Sort of mind blowing. I've heard a lot about 'Vietnamese Laughing Grass' but never seen it executed properly.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=311108&page=65

(tried to link to the one post showing the Laughing Grass but it linked to the entire page instead. It's post 645, about halfway down the page.)

well I prefer real people, like you. over those fake ones :D internet arm chair experts.. that is my problem too. I have some colombians to grow and south asian etc. I was painfully deciding if I pop this asian beauty, choc thai or colombian gold. then I read notes about namblack terps from you and I thought this great namblack genetics will fit to my mango joy(laos/mangohz) cut just right. with choc thai it would make weird taste I am sure, as I crossed chothai hybrid with my tom hill haze mango line.. effect was spectacular though. I love mango weed!!! if I will find some exceptional namblack female, it will be just nice bonus. it will be fantastic adventure I cant wait :D
Thanks for that information guys, this is really good stuff. I too had Clarke's Marijuana Botany, but loaned it out and never saw it again. I need to order a new one, thanks for the link in the mean time, very kind of you.

I went to Snow High seeds but didn't see the VLG, so they must be out of it. I would normally not pay that price for seeds, but like MAHA KALA, I'll take your word on their credibility, that is not a problem, otherwise, I would not have just pulled the trigger on their AG, it's a Acapulco Gold/Purple mix from a 68 Acapulco Gold x Acapulco Gold Red (R), 10 seeds. That set me back almost $200.

A mango VB should be real easy to find, both of my females had a nice mango, incense to them, purple a little more fruity. I'll lean towards more mango during this repro if I find that to be the case. Either the VB or LH sounds like a perfect fit for Laos/MHz hybrid, now that should hold some extreme phenos. We surely will be passing seeds back and forth:tiphat:
Thanks again, guys, I really appreciate the information.

SolarLogos

Tip

Tip

Another nice trick you've shared, your pollination technique.
Speaking of tips, I was reading the GA thread and I think you mentioned having some old seeds. The Khmer Gold I'm running now were 20 years old and the 1st seed didn't come up until day 31. By day 38 I had 34 seeds out of the ground. Unfortunately, only 12 had the vigor to get past the 1st set of true leaves. I relayed this to a member who tried it on old seeds and his started coming up on day 31 also. His rule now is old seeds go 6 weeks before getting dumped.
I scarified mine (or crack), soaked in coconut water, H202, roots accellurator and then planted in fresh EWC with a dome to hold humidity. Make sure there is nothing organic still in the castings, otherwise they will mold. Keep em warm and wait. As long as the medium stays lightly moist, that ewc will do magic over time.
My tip for old seeds: patience, they've been sleeping a long time, give them a long time to wake up. :tiphat:
Peace, God bless

F2F

Did I mention this would be an education? Page 3 and I’m much better for it. :thank you:

Peace,
F2F

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
A mango VB should be real easy to find, both of my females had a nice mango, incense to them, purple a little more fruity. I'll lean towards more mango during this repro if I find that to be the case. Either the VB or LH sounds like a perfect fit for Laos/MHz hybrid, now that should hold some extreme phenos. We surely will be passing seeds back and forth:tiphat:

mother of my THH mango line was very spicy matured mango, maybe mango mixed with ripe strawberry, strong ripe mango, THH males brought metallic mango. although I was sure they will bring lemons LOL mango haze has some phenos like mango candy, some green mango. at THH I found also green unripe mango, at Neville´s haze too. this green mango smell is often coupled with carrots smell. my mango joy cut has that mango candy from mangohz, but laos changed taste from candy to mango ice cream with some lemon/earthy green banana.. it is hard to describe it. not to confuse anybody, I am talking about haze, so there is always some spice or incense :D zamal can put out mango too. mangobiche is clear about mango.. so many kinds of mango in cannabis LOL

Last edited:

romanoweed

Nice thread:

Did anyone hear about the possibility of moisturize Pollen to pollinate a single Branch??

I heard: just moisturize Pollen short before going to your Plants, and the Pollen doesent die in this short Period, and "rather" savely pollinates single Branch. Without flying far.

therevverend

Veteran
Snow's website doesn't seem to be fully functional. There's seed banks in Colorado and Michigan that have a lot of their gear for sale. Try googling and you'll find all sorts of stuff.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Wonder how many are old enough to remember this song.
New Riders of the Purple Sage-Henry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4GscuwNn9A

there is a group called 'englishtown project' - they cover '3' groups... the dead, marshall tucker and new riders- in the group are orig members of the new riders and m.tucker (no dead members) - saw them last fall ...PP.. (pre-pandemic) in a 1400 seat theatre - was in the middle of the 1st row - and yes they did ...henry... saw them in the early 70's... at the academy of music on 14th st in ny .. opening act david brombery and friends... and in the middle of the new riders set, they wheeled out the commander....commander cody... :dancer:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Wonder how many are old enough to remember this song. Ordering the Acapulco Gold seeds reminded me of hearing this as a teenager

New Riders of the Purple Sage-Henry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4GscuwNn9A

I heard it for first time, thank you. sounds like smuggling ganja was fun back in the day. but cocaine ruined it all. they say ganja smuggling was done by handshake, cocaine smuggling was done by the gun..

SolarLogos

Ka5/VBxOTH

Ka5/VBxOTH

Nice thread:

Did anyone hear about the possibility of moisturize Pollen to pollinate a single Branch??

I heard: just moisturize Pollen short before going to your Plants, and the Pollen doesent die in this short Period, and "rather" savely pollinates single Branch. Without flying far.
That is pretty interesting, what would you moisten the pollen with and how, just lightly mist spray it? I do mix my pollen with toasted/dried flour, it helps it go a long ways. I've read you can dilute it by 50:1 but I've never gone that far, usually 4:1
If you try it, make sure you let us know how it goes. I've always left pollen on the branch for 3 days before washing the branch, but I recently read it only needs 30 minutes.

Snow's website doesn't seem to be fully functional. There's seed banks in Colorado and Michigan that have a lot of their gear for sale. Try googling and you'll find all sorts of stuff.

I appreciate the information on SnowHigh. I'm not sure I have room for anything else, but I've always wanted Acapulco Gold. I do hope it's legit, the pictures are sure very NLD. Thanks again, I'll let you know when I grow the Oaxaca Gold and the AG.

there is a group called 'englishtown project' - they cover '3' groups... the dead, marshall tucker and new riders- in the group are orig members of the new riders and m.tucker (no dead members) - saw them last fall ...PP.. (pre-pandemic) in a 1400 seat theatre - was in the middle of the 1st row - and yes they did ...henry... saw them in the early 70's... at the academy of music on 14th st in ny .. opening act david brombery and friends... and in the middle of the new riders set, they wheeled out the commander....commander cody...

That is really cool. I hadn't heard of them, but I'm pretty disconnected with society, no tv, no social media outside of IC mag, no smart phone, just hanging in my garden in peace, no disturbances and if I get a phone call, it's from my wife if she is out. I've sort of been out of touch for many years. Last concert I was at was in the early 80's, AC/DC for those about to rock. Too bad the virus cancelled so many events, I'll have to look for ETP to come to my area once everything goes back to normal. Thanks, that would be a good concert to take the kids to.

I heard it for first time, thank you. sounds like smuggling ganja was fun back in the day. but cocaine ruined it all. they say ganja smuggling was done by handshake, cocaine smuggling was done by the gun..
Wasn't that after the CIA/Air America took over the smuggling operations?;)

Well what about NRPS Panama Red ?
And I never even got to try it back in the day.
It's still around, very early 70's Panama Red, but usually in small circles. I hope to be adding that to my garden in the near future.
Here are the last of the Ka5/Vietnamese Black x OTH. These 3 went 22 weeks and came down today. All 3 smell hazy, which reminds me of a sweet aerosol hair spray, it's the only way I can describe it. One of them has a slight musty smell in the background, likely from the Malawi in the Killer a5 haze. I've been taking lower branches off for a couple weeks now as they mature. So far, it's a rocket ride, all energy. After a few months, I'll report back.