What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mackerel and Dolphins

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dinner is served or will be soon fresh caught cod cannot get any fresher was swimming around 3 hours ago and soon to be lunch ..!!
20210730_095418_resized.jpg

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for taking time to look in buzzmobile and Green Squall ..
These 2 cod were both poached the wife cooks not me, her choice not mine ;)
They were cooked with spinach, coriander, some mushrooms forget there name
new potatoes olive oil lemon grass and a touch of ginger with soy sauce and some other ingredients she adds
Mouthwatering to say the least will try and get some more photos up next time out..

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That sounds good enough to eat, DARKSIDER

It most certainly was buzzmobile and had another ok day today with plenty more mackerel 54 keepers and over 100 returned including a lot of small cod and whiting to small to keep back out again tomorrow hopefully bigger and better we shall see ,A good day out hopefully on the cards ..
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210814_135448.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.3 KB ID:	17918561

buzzmobile

Veteran
Are you fishing from shore or from a boat? Rod and reel or net? I'm on the west side of this big salty lake and I can see the fish are different. ;)

Here's a different kind of dolphin from Costa Rica. Over 50 lbs. and I'm holding his head and wearing the shit eating grin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GEDC0011.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.6 KB ID:	17918708

EDIT: I went back to Page 1, DARKSIDER and saw the silver spoon and the pier/breakwater. Looks like fun fishing.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you fishing from shore or from a boat? Rod and reel or net? I'm on the west side of this big salty lake and I can see the fish are different. ;)

Here's a different kind of dolphin from Costa Rica. Over 50 lbs. and I'm holding his head and wearing the shit eating grin.

filedata/fetch?id=17918708&d=1628968744

EDIT: I went back to Page 1, DARKSIDER and saw the silver spoon and the pier/breakwater. Looks like fun fishing.
Now thats a fish looks like a dorado tis a beauty m8 stunning and the grin too ha ha .
Well i dipped the rod into the water today and got soaked through to the skin was ok to start with then the heavens opened up.. Time for my exit and yes the photos in the begining were from piers or breakwaters m8 correct but now fishing from boat and got a suprise as these 2 greedy fish took the same hook what a pair of plonkers ha ha 3 hooks on trace and they both want the same one eh ha ha well todays take home catch was one cod and about 40 mackerel so not to bad apart from the rain looking forward to a hot bath and some breakfast now cheese on crumpets with a nice hot mug of coffee stay safe guys and take care ..
Click image for larger version Name:	GEDC0011.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.6 KB ID:	17918708
Click image for larger version Name:	GEDC0011.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.6 KB ID:	17918708

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yesterdays catch after one hour 83 keepers all mackerel,,.. Day before 9 keepers after 4 hours dont figure but still a good outing but no cod worth keeping,,. hopefully sooner rather than later we shall see,,, the coming week the weather is not so good according to the weatherman but we shall see... stay safe you all..
20210820_152602.jpg

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
(1).jpg
(2).jpg
Well back from another trip fishing todays tally 149 mackerel and 1 whiting to fetch back home fished around 5 miles from shore today was a good morning out, was out first light had 3 hours good fishing no cod worth keeping but now have a full chest freezer which will last till next year so now i can concentrate on different species of fish mainly cod and ling looking forward to the rest of the seasons keepers well time for a bit food now so till the next upload take care and remain safe ..

Green Squall

Well back from another trip fishing todays tally 149 mackerel and 1 whiting to fetch back home fished around 5 miles from shore today was a good morning out, was out first light had 3 hours good fishing no cod worth keeping but now have a full chest freezer which will last till next year so now i can concentrate on different species of fish mainly cod and ling looking forward to the rest of the seasons keepers well time for a bit food now so till the next upload take care and remain safe ..

Now that is a beautiful site! You know someone is serious about fishing when they have a dedicated chest freezer for it...Any recipes you want to share? Do you prefer filleting the mackerel or cooking them whole?

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now that is a beautiful site! You know someone is serious about fishing when they have a dedicated chest freezer for it...Any recipes you want to share? Do you prefer filleting the mackerel or cooking them whole?

Thanks my friend for looking in .. The wife does all the ingredients to all the dishes i wouldnt know where to start my job is to catch them only, she wont allow me to cook at all and being married to a asian lady the flavours which she brings to the table are something i never tasted before considering fish is fish if you get me they never taste of fish something to do with all the added herbs and spices but taste great keep a eye on this thread as cod season is coming around real soon and thats where its going to get interesting i would imagine anyhow take care and stay safe out there and once again thanks for looking in my friend your visit is appreciated ..

Last edited:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well back from another outing and a decent weight to count threw a few small cod back and the odd whiting and a dogfish which got a grip on my arm wrapping itself around me like bloody sandpaper went back too only small stuff,, but kept the biggest couple of cod couple of mackerel and a nice ling too,, sea was a bit lumpy but worth the outing anyhow time to shower and food awaits stay safe guys ...
20210916_150050.jpg
20210911_133554.jpg
20210916_170702.jpg

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well back from another boat outing not as big as the last but still a good couple of hours and all legal size to small and they go back on the water and fresh crab cod and pollock to the table so all in all not a bad outing till the next time stay safe ..
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210921_181053.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.2 KB ID:	17948916

Green Squall

Well back from another boat outing not as big as the last but still a good couple of hours and all legal size to small and they go back on the water and fresh crab cod and pollock to the table so all in all not a bad outing till the next time stay safe ..

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes pollock! A lot of people around here turn their noses at it and will only eat haddock and cod, but I always keep them (no size limit.) Here's a picture of a bunch that I caught back in June.

Also, how late into the season do you fish? I usually hang up the rod mid October or so.

buzzmobile - I'm guessing that a Brown crab, but it might be a Jonah, however I'd put my money on the former. Both are delicious, but not as good as Stone!

Click image for larger version Name:	20210921_181053.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.2 KB ID:	17948916

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys thanks for the comments and yes you are correct it is a brown crab almost identical to the stone crab and that looks like a good outing on the pollock and yes a few of my friends are the same wont touch pollock just haddock and cod, me personally i prefer pollock over cod but thats just me ha ha, as for the season ending i like to do a lot of pier, beach, cliff tops fishing, as well as the boat side so more or less never ending ha ha apart from when it gets to cold for my old bones then the floatation jackets come out so still fish the winter but not as much till the next time stay safe my friends to windy to fish on boat today so will tend to my garden today stardawgs coming to the end maybes another week at the most so its all good here ..

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well hello there guys im back with a nice bit of cod to start the numbers off went out on the boat today and done ok 10 keepers all over size and all over 2 and a half pounds so hopefully the boat is going to do better than my winter season as it was poor to say the least all our waters getting abused within 10 miles of the coastline of big trawlers and such making it a lot harder for the shore anglers and also the small inshore boats but done ok today hope it gets better anyhow time for supper stay safe you all ..
c.jpg