What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco Coir Leaf Problem Help

WickedBaked

Hi all. I'm having an issue with my Moonshine Ghost Train. The tiger stripping popped up overnight and I'm trying to figure things out.

I can't seem to find anything that matches up close to what I see on my plants. From my searching it kinda looks like the following issues:
  • Nitrogen Deficiency
  • Light Burn
  • Magnesium

Any help is appreciated!

Some basic info:
  • First Time Grower
  • Closet Grow
  • Coco Coir/Perlite mix(roughly 60/40)
  • General Hydroponics Flor Trio Nutrients + CalMag
  • pH'ed Tap Water to 5.8
  • 23 Days Since Flip to 12/12
  • Using this Feeding Chart
  • DIY LED COBS(250w at the wall) ~20in above canopy
  • 200cfm Exhaust fan
  • 4in Passive Intake
  • Powerful Desk Fan Moving Air Around

DtTitAJ.jpg

bkZ8ABA.jpg

Temp at the canopy? What's the ec and pH of your tap water?

I've never used Flora gro, only ever micro and bloom in Lucas ratios for Coco, but that looks like mg problems.

I started having immediately better results when I switched to a simple faucet RO unit, no more weird inexplicable deficiencies after the flip. The tap water and the feeding chart are the only things that stand out to me...

jump /injack

Veteran
I was using new coco and had the same thing, looked just like it. When I tested my run off from the plant I had 1600 ppm when it should have been 650, flushed the plants with lots of water: fixed that problem, This has happened to other people using new cour, some is ok, some is not. Flush new cour if you don't know company.

Last edited:
If you are following the feeding directions in the link you post, specifically where you water until at least 10% runoff, i cant see the issue being related to flushing.

If you are not watering until you have plenty of runoff, your coco could be building up high levels of whatever in your feed solution that the plant isn't using.

If your root system is in good shape, you can give them a good flush with a weak nutrient solution to start at ground zero.

Also, make sure your method to measure pH is accurate. If you use drops, no problem. If you are using a meter, check it with a standard solution. This has bitten me several times over the years.

The toughest thing to achieve, and the most important thing to have is a good environment. If your temperatures are not good, you need to sort that straight away. However, that does not look like your issue.

I'd bet it is build up in your coco. Or... could it be the natural coloration for your strain? The first photo looks like heat fron a lamp. The second photo kind of looks like purple color.

WickedBaked

Temp at the canopy? What's the ec and pH of your tap water?

I've never used Flora gro, only ever micro and bloom in Lucas ratios for Coco, but that looks like mg problems.

I started having immediately better results when I switched to a simple faucet RO unit, no more weird inexplicable deficiencies after the flip. The tap water and the feeding chart are the only things that stand out to me...

Temps at the canopy range from 65F to 80F.

I'd love to not use tap water but it's all my budget can afford right now!

It's been a while since I've tested ppms of my tap water but iirc it was on the middle to middle high range(maybe 100-200?). pH is about 7.1ish, but I pH all water to 5.8
The feeding chart is from growweedeasy and seems to be good

WickedBaked

I was using new coco and had the same thing, looked just like it. When I tested my run off from the plant I had 1600 ppm when it should have been 650, flushed the plants with lots of water: fixed that problem, This has happened to other people using new cour, some is ok, some is not. Flush new cour if you don't know company.

While I always pH the water going in, it's been a few weeks since I've tested run off. I rinsed and soaked the shit out of this coco when I got it!

3 plants are all using the same coco mix and nutrients and so far the others show no signs of this.

Another good hardy flush won't hurt.

WickedBaked

If you are following the feeding directions in the link you post, specifically where you water until at least 10% runoff, i cant see the issue being related to flushing.

If you are not watering until you have plenty of runoff, your coco could be building up high levels of whatever in your feed solution that the plant isn't using.

If your root system is in good shape, you can give them a good flush with a weak nutrient solution to start at ground zero.

Also, make sure your method to measure pH is accurate. If you use drops, no problem. If you are using a meter, check it with a standard solution. This has bitten me several times over the years.

The toughest thing to achieve, and the most important thing to have is a good environment. If your temperatures are not good, you need to sort that straight away. However, that does not look like your issue.

I'd bet it is build up in your coco. Or... could it be the natural coloration for your strain? The first photo looks like heat fron a lamp. The second photo kind of looks like purple color.

I follow the chart and every other watering is either plain tap water pH'ed to 5.8 or 1/4 strength nutes pH'ed to 5.8.

The plants are in 3gal smart pots and I feed them 2gal of water each time which results in a bunch of run off.

The temps are ok, back in February it dropped to 65F overnight once or twice and the heatsnap in NE last week temps hit 82F. Humidity is higher then I want it to be right now, it's about 50% and I'm not sure I can get that any lower.

There are only a few leafs showing this issue.

jump /injack

Veteran
Have you checked your run off yet? It was an easy deduction for me because of the 6 pots running only two were affected and that was the one with the new cour, checked the parts per million which should have been about 650, [my water is about 90 ppm and ferts about 500] and it was over 1600 ppm, whats the other stuff fairy dust? New cour can be radioactive it so hot.

Latest posts

Latest posts