What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bowhunting

MIMedHead

First time since I started hunting I didn't shoot a deer this year. Had fun in the woods. I was with my little brother when he killed his first deer a nice buck, that I called in early season. I had chances with my bow but passed. Hindsight I wish I would have killed a die or two for the freezer.

Bwanabud

Late season is a great time to get a buck, the last of the rut winding down...the woods are quiet, and they are hungry from running does. If season is still open by you, don't give up yet...pray for cold weather & snow, then go sit on a good food source...they'll be coming.

shredGnar

I gave up on rifle hunting after my 1st season. Shot 2 mule deer. I was very proud of the first kill, I never felt right about the second kill though. It was clean it just felt like cheating.

I have much less admiration for rifle hunting vs bow.

I've missed shots on 2 big bull elk 2 seasons in a row since starting bow hunting. Have been 10 yards or less to a half dozen or more this September, but still didn't take the shot due to poor shots and just plain fucking up.

Still don't have a kill with a bow, but I am more proud of passing up on less than ideal shots with a bow than my kills with a rifle.

Rifle hunting takes away the interaction with the animals, which to me is the best part of hunting.

Anyone else bow hunt elk in the CO rocky mountains?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I always pass up less than ideal shots with a bow ...it the right thing to do...yeehaw..guns are too easy but generally a quicker kill with less variables than a bow...I have never shot an elk but I have got moose before..elk is on the list with sheep/mountain goats ect

jesbuds

I was an awesome hunter in my younger years, my dad would force me out of bed at like 4am, sit me in my tree blind and as soon as he was out of sight I'd go back to sleep :) (I was strapped into the blind).

Remember seeing a few coyotes, never actually shot a deer but really enjoyed target practice, loved when I got to 'move up' from a recurve to compound, those compound bows can go damn far.

Bwanabud

I was an awesome hunter in my younger years, my dad would force me out of bed at like 4am, sit me in my tree blind and as soon as he was out of sight I'd go back to sleep :) (I was strapped into the blind).

Remember seeing a few coyotes, never actually shot a deer but really enjoyed target practice, loved when I got to 'move up' from a recurve to compound, those compound bows can go damn far.

The new equipment is unreal, I shoot sanctioned tournaments out to 70yds...3d & Field FITA. I have a full shop here, and 80yd course at the house...shoot all year. I'm building a new competition bow now, will use for indoor spots in the off-season.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
my wrist is screwed so I use a quick 2 piece disassemble Barnett crossbow ..320+ fps and 119 lbs psi...yeehaw that's power baby...carbon fibre bolts..i can hit a dinner plate sized target at 80 yards pretty consistently but I never hunt over 40 max...I practice a lot....as soon as I get surgery I will use compound and long bow again too ..I miss small game and flu flu fletching ...hunting small game with my crossbow is not an option..ever seen a squirrell take a ride on an arrow lol

jesbuds

Very cool, I always liked marksmanship, bows/rifles/etc. Loved with the bow I could fire off arrows then just go grab them and start again, guns start to add up in ammo and gotta be way more careful on what's behind the target. Lived in a more rural area growing up so had a target practice area with some hay bails that I used quite a bit.

Bwanabud

Very cool, I always liked marksmanship, bows/rifles/etc. Loved with the bow I could fire off arrows then just go grab them and start again, guns start to add up in ammo and gotta be way more careful on what's behind the target. Lived in a more rural area growing up so had a target practice area with some hay bails that I used quite a bit.

I live in the middle of the woods, on a mountain by ourselves,,,so I have flexibility in shooting. Archery is a great sport, the new bows will blow right thru hay bales like butter...I use foam or compressed butts, very expensive and really heavy.

I reload my own ammo, not to save money...just to have more options in bullet design and accuracy. I like long range silhouette out to 400 yds or so, I've got buddies that play around out to 1/2 mile or so. I'm not the survivalist type, just sporting weapons and minute of angle accuracy for me. Have a bunch of pistols too, mainly for home defense..I have a carry permit, but rarely pack...I've never felt the need to live life with iron on my side to feel safe..it would be easier to move :tiphat:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
guns are cheaper...carbon fibre bolts.arrows and broadheads aint cheap.. if I miss I might not find em and if I hit a tree their done...I used to do reloading too..shotgun shells were fun to play with ...you can load em with all kinds of stuff like nickels,ball bearings ect...where archery rules is there is no big bang to scare off everything within hearing distance....yeehaw...my crossbow targets average 80$ anything cheaper the bolt goes right through

Bwanabud

My average bow has $2200 invested into it, I make my own arrows too,,,stock bare shafts are $160 a dozen, I cut/fletch myself. So guns probably are cheaper, but as you say a lot LOUDER :)

I started my son in archery when he was 3 yrs old, he's my best hunting buddy today,,,we travel the country..it's a great sport for kids...hell it's better than watching TV or video games that's for sure. Kids today don't do jack-shit, we used to play wiffle ball, kick ball, football, sled ride, fish..and generally just beat the shit out of each other. Kids today cry if their TV show is canceled for a special news report.

jesbuds

So true, known people that scoff at hunting and it's a great thing to do just to be in the outdoors, hunters are some of the best keepers of our wilderness.

And I've never used a bow that good, my best one was just some cheapo $200 compound from 15 years ago :).

Bwanabud

So true, known people that scoff at hunting and it's a great thing to do just to be in the outdoors, hunters are some of the best keepers of our wilderness.

And I've never used a bow that good, my best one was just some cheapo $200 compound from 15 years ago :).

Absolutely, hunters do care for the wildlife & pay more money and taxes to protect/provide habitat than anybody else.

Like most hobbies, you won't gain from the price/quality of a product without first becoming proficient...the best tennis racket in the world, doesn't make you Rodger Federer :) Equipment has come a long way technology wise, no different than electronics or cars in the past 15 years. Some great products available today pre-owned if you know what to look at.