What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will a Hydroponics grow room be cooler than a Soil grow room?

alpo

Will a Hydroponics grow room be cooler than a Soil grow room?

I am fighting heat with 2 15 gallon pots of super soil and it is winter (2x4 tent)

alpo

No, but an LED grow room will be cooler than an HID grow room.

I am using LED's - Chilled growcraft x3 at 480 watts and my temp can be 84 with lights on and it is 74 lights out - room temperature is always 74

alpo

the hygrometer on the floor of my tent is 74 but at the top of the canopy is 82-84 lights on

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
That's a good target temperature. Whatever the problem is you are fighting with, it's not temperature

alpo

This probably isn't the right subforum for this question but since I already started a topic here I have a dilemma:

I have (2) 2x4 tents.

Right now I have 2 15 gallon super soil pots per tent. I switch to flower Friday.

After this grow I was thinking about getting (2) 2x4 beds for living soil no-till

or

I also have (2) 2x4 flood tables that are made for tents and built a PVC stand for it.

I don't know which direction to go. Or if pests will become a problem with soil in the summer.

I originally built diy undercurrent but it had leaks so I am hesitant on hydroponics now.

If I use flood tables I would do 15 4" coco coir pots per table. Drain to waste.

I also have a 2x2.5 tent for mom/clones

troutman

Seed Whore
Soil or water will get to the room temperature eventually. So I don't think one is cooler than the other. ;)

alpo

Soil or water will get to the room temperature eventually. So I don't think one is cooler than the other. ;)

That just means they both have the same minimum temperature - If soil radiated more heat making the temperature have a higher max temperature then the other would be 'cooler'

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Yes.. all them soil microbes.. billions of them, sweating away working all day. It must be a heat source :)

Chilling the tank of a drip system can be pointless. Most people use an unsuitable pump that heats the water within it, which then takes forever to get through the drip system. So the temperature at the emitter is basically unaffected by the chiller.
There is something to be said for a fresh tank every day that sits outside your tent. The oxygen lost by a warm pump is still in the lines so will be reincorporated as the fluid cools again. If it cools enough. However the temperature at the emitter will remain at tent temperature, probably.

Now, you could engineer a better drip system. A 13mm manifold that passes over every pot, where a barbed emitter is plugged straight in with no branch pipe. This 13mm manifold would be supplied by a diaphragm pump so no heat is added. Then at the far end of the manifold is a pressure relief valve that sets the max pressure in the manifold to 15psi and returns the rest to the tank. Which is chilled.
This way, you have chilled water passing every emitter at a high enough pressure to work them, and flowing fast enough through the tent to not pick up a lot of heat, before getting back to the tank.

PVC stand for flood tables. That sounds interesting. A 2x4 flooded 4" deep weighs as much as the average person (so my lift says). Add in the wet plant weight and the media which as an sg over 1 so it won't float and you have quite some weight. Lean on it to reach the back, and you could be at 100Kg. I have seen plastic garage shelves fail with a lot less on them.

alpo

Yes.. all them soil microbes.. billions of them, sweating away working all day. It must be a heat source :)

Chilling the tank of a drip system can be pointless. Most people use an unsuitable pump that heats the water within it, which then takes forever to get through the drip system. So the temperature at the emitter is basically unaffected by the chiller.
There is something to be said for a fresh tank every day that sits outside your tent. The oxygen lost by a warm pump is still in the lines so will be reincorporated as the fluid cools again. If it cools enough. However the temperature at the emitter will remain at tent temperature, probably.

Now, you could engineer a better drip system. A 13mm manifold that passes over every pot, where a barbed emitter is plugged straight in with no branch pipe. This 13mm manifold would be supplied by a diaphragm pump so no heat is added. Then at the far end of the manifold is a pressure relief valve that sets the max pressure in the manifold to 15psi and returns the rest to the tank. Which is chilled.
This way, you have chilled water passing every emitter at a high enough pressure to work them, and flowing fast enough through the tent to not pick up a lot of heat, before getting back to the tank.

PVC stand for flood tables. That sounds interesting. A 2x4 flooded 4" deep weighs as much as the average person (so my lift says). Add in the wet plant weight and the media which as an sg over 1 so it won't float and you have quite some weight. Lean on it to reach the back, and you could be at 100Kg. I have seen plastic garage shelves fail with a lot less on them.

what other material to make stand out of.
and its not flood and drain