What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Semi auto/ F1 fast tips

orangeisland

Hey, so I just finished taking down my second outdoor harvest, and for the for the second year in a row the results werent too great due to the clones I used. I've decided to go with fast versions and semi autos for next year. So I just received my seeds and was wondering if anyone has any tips. The seeds are:

Sweet seeds Tropicana poison F1 fast - 14 seeds
Sweet seeds green poison F1 fast - 14 seeds
00 seeds gorilla fast - 9 seeds
00 seeds critical poison - 10 seeds
Real gorilla mighty gold - 12 seeds

So the idea I had was to start these now, pick best ones and clone them for next summer's outdoor crop. But the more I look into it the more confused I'm getting regarding so called "semi auto" from real gorilla. They say to not start them earlier than April with 18/6 lighting inside, if anyone can shed some light on this that would be awesome. Thanks all!... ps I started germinating them last week and will start a journal after this.

orangeisland

Yeah, that's why I ordered them as I am growing a place where nothing will survive past October lol, was wondering if there is a difference between semi and "fast"

gorilla ganja

" They say to not start them earlier than April with 18/6 lighting inside"

I think they recommend that because some semi (fast) genetics are hard to keep in veg.
Being root bound or any light change can trigger flowering.

So if you put them out with less than the 18/6 light hrs from clone they will go into flower.

Peace GG

orangeisland

Awesome, thanks a lot. So in theory I could take the cuts first week of April, keep them on 18/6 and put them out first week of June and it should be good?

gorilla ganja

With the increasing daylight in early June, you should be good. Certain cultivars will respond differently. Seedlings seem to respond better because they will grow to a certain size/age before they respond to light changes as much as clones.
Give it a go and report back to us.

Mr. Stinky

Cuts of semis are problematic. Fire up a 12/12 room and make a seed run. Plenty of time to make a pile of good seed so you can start them correctly on june 1st.

Always shoot for june to start semis. They are nearly zero effort when started then. They get 3 feet tall then flower out a single stem, ending up 5 feet or so and rarely need any help standing up on their own.

Viking gold early September

picture.php

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Things like the Mighty Gold won't provide Mums. Semi-auto could be reinterpreted as assisted flowering. They are going to flower as sure as an auto would. They just won't do so very well under 24/7 while an auto would manage. They will kinda flower halfheartedly. Making them no use as veg plants at 24. Or any good as flowering plants at 24. Semi's do veg a bit longer than autos but need to go into flower when they want to. Which requires a shorter day, but not as short as a full photo.

The date you do things is very much governed by your location. The ground could do with time to warm a bit, but they must finish before the winter comes. Planting too early will see them trying to flower on days a bit longer than ideal, thus limited photoperiod assistance. So there is quite a bit going on. Best bet is to look at peoples diaries that grew them in your location

I have some of your listed semi's and might put them out in the corner as a point of interest. I did very poorly with them though. I just gave a load of beans away, but not those, as I felt it unfair to the guy receiving them. Like you I tried to grow mums and failed. Then I put some out and honestly they did well, but then I lost the lot to mould. I mean the lot. I just pushed them over to compost. No spliff to be had. Maybe 5 on each though, based on the neighbours

orangeisland

Thanks guys, so even all the fast versions from sweet seeds and 00 wouldnt make good moms for clones to go outside eh? If that's the case I think I'm gonna search around for non fast photoperiod strains to put outside...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Fast are fine. They're just that. Being fast doesn't mean they won't veg.

Latest posts

Latest posts