What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HELP! -Plants will not root in my RWDC? To much light, confused??

WoW big plants, they survive pretty well, though would be much worse

OK so, try to hand water them at least once per day, AROUND the netpot until you see roots touching the nute solution.

Try not to over saturate the rockwool with water, even no water it at all if you unsure. Only water around, the clay pebbles.
(its a bit hard now NOT to over saturate with water these big rockwool cubes because they act like wick.)

I think you will see roots in 5-7 days, just dont stop hand watering (use your nute solution from the buckets)

I would also use a EC no more than 1.0 at this point

Good luck, i wait for updates...

Roots are showing, you can see them in a few pics.

I'm aware of not getting the rwool wet, hence me thinking they might have been underwatered BUT everytime i see just one root appear, that's it, they go beserk.....Not this time though?

The bubbles/water level are wicking lovely into the stones....

I'll water daily but as i stated roots have appeared and sat there for weeks in nice moist/wicked pebbles, touching/accessing the solution.....

Thanks for advice.

Crowmax

Veteran
Yes i saw the roots..
Seems, like you said, bottom of the clay stays wet, correct.
But also your big piece of rockwool is acting like wick and sucking water. Looks very wet in the photos. Is this correct?

If yes, try lower the water level, at least 1 cm away from the bottom of the netpot and go on with hand watering around the clay pebbles, until you see the roots out. So it doesn't overwater the rockwool.
We want Just the bottom 1cm of the clay pebbles to have moisture, the rest with hand watering.

I use the same netpots like you, its a pain in the ass with putting young seeds with not many roots in there. Specially when i forget/getting lazy to hand water the clay, things getting stunned

Yes i saw the roots..
Seems, like you said, bottom of the clay stays wet, correct.
But also your big piece of rockwool is acting like wick and sucking water. Looks very wet in the photos. Is this correct?

If yes, try lower the water level, at least 1 cm away from the bottom of the netpot and go on with hand watering around the clay pebbles, until you see the roots out. So it doesn't overwater the rockwool.
We want Just the bottom 1cm of the clay pebbles to have moisture, the rest with hand watering.

I use the same netpots like you, its a pain in the ass with putting young seeds with not many roots in there. Specially when i forget/getting lazy to hand water the clay, things getting stunned

I did have the water level 1" below, that's always been the standard for me and other systems.

I only raised it due to me recalling that's what i have done in the past (years ago).

So for the main they have been as you have described BUT was i lazy as i was only dipping/feeding them every 2 or 3 days tbh, they might have been drying out.....................

The only reason they seem wet now is the raised level plus they have had a 'dip'/temp raised water level due to no activity at the lower/correct level.

I'm fully aware of not wanting a wet cube/stem rot etc

Hopefully it is down to my laziness (to busy tbh) but i still have suspicions something else is going on tbh.

thanks

Crowmax

Veteran
Hope all goes well, they look like they gonna explode in healthy growth once you dial in the waterings and you get roots down.

one small note, because you mentioned you dip them in the nute solution. This way for sure you will make the big piece of rockwool very wet. Try just hand water around it few days.

From the pictures, seems the cube is too big and deep into the netpot, kind of impossible to stay dry or at least not oversoaked. That's why i repeat to lower the water level at a point that the rockwool doesn't suck in water.

Like others mentioned, strong light won't help them if they haven't enough root system.

Also EC of 1.4 that you mentioned in earlier posts seems kinda high at the moment

Waiting for updates
best of luck my friend

YoungBreeder

definitely do look a little dry. quick question if you put them with coco pebbles why keep the plastic on?and you said you always do that. I'm curious.

bigbadbillybob

this is why i never use rockwool in these systems, its garbage, holds too much water and fucks about with the ph levels. i will bet its saturated.

i too use ionic, i start them at 0.6 ec too, its plenty.
Do not use the organic feeds like seaweed though, its asking for problems in my opinion.
I usually start them in root it cubes, and wait till i get a few inches of root out the bottom before putting them in the system. i fill the system till the bottom layer of hydroton in the pots is just covered and no more, the water should be just bubbling through it. sit the rooted cube on this and backfill with hydroton. leave them a week in the system, the water level will drop sllightly as they get going. then change out the res filling it to about an inch below the net pot as the roots should be poking out of the bottom of the net pot by now.
Hope you get it sorted.

I've always done it like this with no problems, it was from 'BlazeonUps' DIY RDWC build.

I have NEVER had problems in any form like this.

EC 1.0/PH 5.9, water temp 18c.

Lowered water levels, cubes are DRY, one plant DEAD from not hand watering, they are dormant, ZERO roots at all??

Seven 3" RW cubes will never affect a 200l system anyway.

I was mislead at the start with people telling me my EC was to low, i still think itb might ne to high at 1.0 tbh?

I have gone straight from an aero cloner with 6" roots in other grows as well no probs BUT this is my standard method......

Could they have nute lockout?

They are just sitting there, cubes dry, they have grown a bit, but zero root action.

I'm seriously pissed off tbh guys.

The cuttings i had them from were Gelato, the guy i had them from had 3 sitting outside in soil, they are not flowering or would they in the UK at this time of year?

Baffled, feel like flipping them and fook it tbh i'm that pissed......

Or drop the system, flush em for 2/3 days and try them on 0.6EC??

Everything is dialled in imo.

I'm also aware of using organics in dwc, i've been through Pythium problems years back but with chiller/high flow rates/flooming and massive bubbles in each bucket i cured it PLUS that would only ever happen/cause probs after 1 or 2 weeks after flipping them. I aint even got ANY roots...lol

Cheers Guys, much appreciated.

alpo

I was browsing the web a few weeks ago and saw a similar post from some time ago on another site where they couldn't get the roots to grow into the water and turned out the air pump was too strong - I guess the roots ended up being scared of the air bubbles

@alpo it's def not to many bubbles mate.

I had one cutting left left over still in a cube but sitting in a veg cab, very neglected tbh, barely alive!

I opened the cube up and there were 3 tiny roots only penetrating from the RR cube (bare in mind that when this was healthy weeks ago when it was part of the group i put into my main RDWC it had massive white roots protruding from the base of the RW cubes/as they ALL did.

I have just set up a single bubbler in a standard 25l (5g in USA?) and set EC 0.4 and PH 5.8.

I have also removed the RW cube so its just in the RR starter cube like the others but with above specs.

let's see what happens...

I wish i had taken a pic of the pathetic few roots it had before i put it on tbh.

I'll post a pic of the 'plant' itself later as its a state...

i had been previously feeding it from solution from my main system and i think i have nute lockout tbh...so a test!!

i think i was mislead at the start as some people did not even realise i had them in a RDWC plus as i also stated i never went higher than 1.2/1.4 in flower in other grows from memory...are they in shock/lockout??

Cheers again and i look forward to peoples opinions. i have NOTHING to lose now.

Thanks

Well the spare plant i put in a single bubbler @ 0.4EC has absolutely shocked me!

It's perked up, leaves upright, greening up, it MUST of had lockout from the feed i was giving it from my mains system!

Watch this space....

Cheers

pahval

Good job on finding the problem... Please update us on your progress, people may find this info useful for future... Peace...

Latest posts

Latest posts