What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VPN's which do you use?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I use "Opera" browser which has a VPN option built in. Yahoo has no idea what home page to show, usually from a nordic country.

I don't use one anymore, but previously had PIA, which my brother recommended. He's a little paranoid about privacy issues, so I trusted him lol.

I use PIA and it is pretty good, they delete logs and it is pretty slick on my Apple devices. Unfortunately is was not very good on my recent trip to China but I found a free VPN iDevice app that worked in a limited fashion.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I use "Opera" browser which has a VPN option built in. Yahoo has no idea what home page to show, usually from a nordic country.

Yep, I use Opera too. Seems to work alright with the VPN, tho it does slow things down a bit. But that's to be expected.

Friend who's an IT-guy was like you can't trust them free ones, that's why I use Nord VPN..

Then Nord VPN themselves got hacked :)
Not saying the free ones are 100% safe, but then what is if ppl really wanna fuck with you.. They'll fuck with ya :tiphat:

Lots of folks have been presenting their free VPN recommendations so I thought I'd present my recommendation for a paid VPN service, ProtonVPN. They have a free plan, but I have one of the paid plans.

It began as a crowdfunded, encrypted email service called Protonmail. It has remained primarily community funded and developed with community input since founding. They have paid tiers for features, but around the fall holidays (Black Friday and Christmas), they offer great bundled pricing. The email service and VPN service each have free plans with minimal features.

When the features of their paid plans are bundled with their paid, encrypted email plans at holiday pricing, the benefits are worth it for me. Secure, encrypted email with mobile and tablet apps and 2FA. Multiple receiving addresses can be set up and pointed to one inbox or to different inboxes. Emails can be sent from multiple addresses without switching inboxes. For the VPN, their secure core feature allows users to route their traffic through an additional server prior to it leaving the VPN service's network. For example, I route some traffic through the Netherlands and then the UK. Servers are available all over the world. They have mobile and tablet apps for the VPN service too. I set up different profiles for different Netflix countries and for different purposes -Canada is a little fast for me, than the secure core connection through the Netherlands and the UK so I may switch, depending on my activities.

From their site: Our story began at CERN, where the web was born and where our founding team met. In 2014, on the 25th anniversary of the web, we built ProtonMail to make online privacy a reality again for millions of people around the world. The ProtonVPN project was born out of a need to better protect the activists and journalists that use ProtonMail.

Hope this is helpful for someone!

Veggia farmer

I got the free email from proton. Had just paid for Nordvpn, when i discovered proton. You know how many bits crypto it is? I went for Nordvpn since its very high and many servers. It did work on netflix in the start, but not anymore.

JKD

Veteran
Mullvad. You can pay with crypto or cash in envelope if you wish. No identifying information required for sign up. Proton is also good in that it’s secure and hosted in a non 5/9/14 eyes country. Hidemyass is believed to have cooperated with law enforcement. Nord was hacked and data stolen last year. PIA has had their no logs policy tested in court and won. Something to be aware of with TOR and VPNs is that their servers are attractive to hackers as there is a higher percentage of people using them that are up to no good and potential blackmail targets.

Last edited:
G

I'm using Ultimate VPN. You either pay or use the free version with a little bit of advertising in it. I go with the free version and its fine and still fast enough not to do my head in. I'm using it on the phone

hahanoone

Has no one thought the fuzz has looked at this and thought "Gee, what helpful stoners telling us which VPN services to monitor..." ?

There are a lot of rouge monitored TOR exit nodes as well, so that's not super trust worthy.

Get a VPS in a canna-friendly country for $3/mo, install OpenVPN and/or SSH tunnel in. More secure than handing your CC to these centralized VPN companies (which numerous ones have been reported to keep logs and do filthy things).

Ultra paranoid? Multi-hop tunnels to different countries, cycle providers every few months.

Veggia farmer

I use Nordvpn myself, but it has been hacked at least in on server in Finland 2018. Nordvpn handled that situation not the best way. Like not talking about it before they got pressure, pointing fingers towards other partners.

Has no one thought the fuzz has looked at this and thought "Gee, what helpful stoners telling us which VPN services to monitor..." ?

There are a lot of rouge monitored TOR exit nodes as well, so that's not super trust worthy.

Get a VPS in a canna-friendly country for $3/mo, install OpenVPN and/or SSH tunnel in. More secure than handing your CC to these centralized VPN companies (which numerous ones have been reported to keep logs and do filthy things).

Ultra paranoid? Multi-hop tunnels to different countries, cycle providers every few months.
yeah i couldnt agree more with what this fella said .. tor's prolly sus in general ,also with vpn's do you trust the provider with your information at the end of node .... i like this guys idea .. if your serious why not get a rasp pi and create your own vpn. :laughing:

Howardjohnson

TorGuard is the best VPN because it is speedy without sacrificing encryption quality or privacy. It has more than 3,000 servers available in 55 nations around the world. NordVPN and ExpressVPN are, indeed, among the most famous name in the industry. However, they are a ways off the level of TorGuard.