What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant Growth Regulators (PGRs) thread

DARC MIND

Veteran
any more info on triacontoanol or Salicylic acid??
when ever i read about PGR's these two usually dont have much info on them
thnx

spurr

Veteran
any more info on triacontoanol or Salicylic acid??
when ever i read about PGR's these two usually dont have much info on them
thnx

yea, I have PDFs I have yet to upload. I was really busy last week and didn't log on very must at all. I am catching up on posting and PMs over the last few days. I will try to get into this thread tomorrow.

spurr

Veteran
Cannabis related studies (more to be added later):

ABA (Abscisic acid)
  • Using ABA as foliar generally isn't wise because it can reduce stomatal conductance quite a bit (make stoma close down).

"Effects of ABA on primary terpenoids and D9-tetrahydrocannabinol in Cannabis sativa L. at flowering stage"
Hakimeh Mansouri, Zahra Asrar and Jan Szopa
Plant Growth Regulators (2009) vol. 58, pp. 269–277

GA3 (gibberellic acid)
  • Using GA3 can make plants stretch A LOT; I do not suggest it's use for general growing

"The response of terpenoids to exogenous gibberellic acid in Cannabis sativa L. at vegetative stage"
Hakimeh Mansouri, Zahra Asrar and Ryszard Amarowicz
Acta Physiol Plant (2010)

"Effects of Gibberellic Acid on Primary Terpenoids and D9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in Cannabis sativa at Flowering Stage
Hakimeh Mansouri, Zahra Asrar1 and Mitra Mehrabani
Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 2009, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 553–561

:tiphat:

Attachments

• Effects of ABA on primary terpenoids.PDF
    489.6 KB · Views: 69
  • The response of terpenoids.PDF
    335.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Effects of Gibberellic Acid on Primary Terpenoids and THC.pdf
    352.3 KB · Views: 101

spurr

Veteran
Are you gonna post your ideal NPK for flowering cannabis?

I just mixed up a two part solution with an NPK of 100:100:200 and 60 Magnesium, the traditional Mel Frank ratios, if you have something you think better I could also mix that and do a side-by-side.

hey,

I forgot to do so, sorry. But I just did it and recalled you asked about it. I would suggset you try my mix in a side-by-side for sure. Oswizzle has been trying my mix and so far he likes it as much (or more IIRC) than Lucas's suggestion of FloraNova Bloom at 1,100-1,300 ppm (TDS).

Here is my mix, and a nearly equivalent mix from CNS-17, in the following thread:
Hemp (Cannabis sativa L) tissue nutrient analysis data
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4094589&postcount=54

spurr

Veteran
Here are papers on PGRs in general with info on specific PGRs I listed in my first post, amongst many others:

I will post the abstracts of all the papers so people can see if they want to download specific papers or not :ying:

"Hormone interactions in stomatal function"
Biswa R. Acharya Æ Sarah M. Assmann
Plant Mol Biol (2009) 69:451–462

Abstract

Research in recent years on the biology of guard cells has shown that these specialized cells integrate both extra- and intra-cellular signals in the control of stomatal apertures. Among the phytohormones, abscisic acid (ABA) is one of the key players regulating stomatal function. In addition, auxin, cytokinin, ethylene, brassinosteroids, jasmonates, and salicylic acid also contribute to stomatal aperture regulation. The interaction of multiple hormones can serve to determine the size of stomatal apertures in a condition-specific manner. Here, we discuss the roles of different phytohormones and the effects of their interactions on guard cell physiology and function

"Genetic and Hormonal Regulation of Growth, Flowering, and Sex Expression in Plants"

M. Kh. Chailakhyan
Amer. J. Bot. 66(6): 717-736 (1979)
  • This paper is over 6 mb so I had to upload to a file host, I used a Russian file host. It's best to disable JavaScript when downloading this file to avoid ads and other JavaScript junk, passphrase is "ilovecanna" (without quotes) LINK

Abstract

The interaction of the genetic and hormonal regulation of growth, flowering, and sex expression in plants is discussed. The genetic control of these processes is characterized, and data on their hormonal regulation are supplied. The interaction of genetic and hormonal regulation is considered with reference to tall-growing and genetic dwarf forms of the pea and wheat plants. It is shown that in the dwarf forms of the pea plant and in many other varieties, growth stimulation in response to treatment with the phytohormone gibberellic acid is clearly manifested and the expression of genetic dwarfism is eliminated, whereas in dwarf wheats it is expressed only slightly, if at all. At the same time both tall-growing and dwarf forms of both pea and wheat show a clearly defined growth retardation response to treatment with the growth inhibitor, abscisic acid, which causes the expression of physiological dwarfism. The short- and long-day characteristics of the photoperiodic response of plants are described as genetically controlled features, and data are given on the induction of flowering of a long-day variety coneflower grown under short-day conditions with the aid of gibberellins extracted from leaves of long-day vegetative plants of short-day Mammoth tobacco. Data are also supplied on the induction of flowering of a short-day variety, red-leaved goosefoot, grown under continuous light with the aid of metabolites extracted from leaves of the same Mammoth tobacco plants flowering under short-day conditions. This demonstrates the possibility ofhormonal regulation of the genetically controlled long-day and short-day characteristics in photoperiodically sensitive plants.

Genetic and hormonal regulation of sex expression in two dioecious plants, hemp and spinach, is discussed. It is shown that sex expression in these plants is regulated by gibberellins which are synthesized in leaves and cause male sex expression and by cytokinins which are synthesized in the roots and cause female sex expression. These data indicate that sex expression in dioecious plants is the result of interaction between the genetic apparatus and phytohormones.

"Hormonal Regulation of Plant Growth and Development"

William M. Gray
PloS Biology (2004) Volume 2, Issue 9

Phytohormones: What Are they?

Plant growth and development involves the integration of many environmental and endogenous signals that, together with the intrinsic genetic program, determine plant form. Fundamental to this process are several growth regulators collectively called the plant hormones or phytohormones. This group includes auxin, cytokinin, the gibberellins (GAs), abscisic acid (ABA), ethylene, the brassinosteroids (BRs), and jasmonic acid (JA), each of which acts at low concentrations to regulate many aspects of plant growth and development. With the notable exception of the steroidal hormones of the BR group, plant hormones bear little resemblance to their animal counterparts (Figure 1). Rather, they are relatively simple, small molecules such as ethylene gas and indole-3-acetic acid (IAA), the primary auxin in the majority of plant species.

Attachments

• Hormone interactions in stomatal function.pdf
    321.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Hormonal regulation of plant growth and development.pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 108

OsWiZzLe

hey,

I forgot to do so, sorry. But I just did it and recalled you asked about it. I would suggset you try my mix in a side-by-side for sure. Oswizzle has been trying my mix and so far he likes it as much (or more IIRC) than Lucas's suggestion of FloraNova Bloom at 1,100-1,300 ppm (TDS).

Here is my mix, and a nearly equivalent mix from CNS-17, in the following thread:
Hemp (Cannabis sativa L) tissue nutrient analysis data

by fat the best nute mix i have ever come across...thank u Spurr....not only have u saved me lots of money....but my plants have taken off with ur mix...never any problems at all :dance013:

spurr

Veteran
Papers about salicylic acid and jasmonic acid:

The first few papers are about jasmonic acid effects on increasing trichome (glandular and non-glandluar) density and number, and how jasmonic acid is used by plants to form trichomes. The first two papers also cite how salicylic acid hinders trichome production.

"Leaf Trichome Formation and Plant Resistance to Herbivory"
Peter Dalin, Jon Agren, Christer Bjorkman, Piritta Huttunen and Katri Karkkainen
  • This paper discusses jasmonic acid effect on forming trichomes and how salicylic acid "reduces trichome production and inhibits the response to jasmonic acid..."
  • UV-b is also mentioned in passing.

Leaf trichomes contribute to plant resistance against herbivory. In several plant species, the trichome density of new leaves increases after herbivore damage. Here we review the genetic basis of trichome production and the functional and adaptive significance of constitutive and induced trichome formation. We focus on leaf trichomes and their production in response to damage caused by herbivores.

The genetic basis of trichome production has been explored in detail in the model species Arabidopsis thaliana. Recent comparative work indicates that the regulatory networks governing trichome development vary and that trichome production has evolved repeatedly among angiosperms. Induced trichome production has been related to increased levels of jasmonic acid in Arabidopsis, indicating a common link to other changes in resistance characteristics. Damage from insect herbivores is oftentimes negatively related to trichome production, and enhanced trichome production may thus be advantageous as it increases resistance against herbivores. There are yet few studies exploring the costs and benefits of induced trichome production in terms of plant fitness. Trichome density affects interactions with insect herbivores, but may also affect the abundance and effectiveness of predators and parasitoids feeding on herbivores, and the tolerance to abiotic stress. This suggests that an improved understanding of the functional and adaptive significance of induced trichome production requires field studies that consider the effects of trichome density on antagonistic interactions, tritrophic interactions, and plant fitness under contrasting abiotic conditions.

4.3.2 Hormonal Regulation of Induced Trichome Production

Recent work on Arabidopsis indicates that several regulatory networks may influence damage-induced increases in trichome production. Jasmonic acid regulates the systemic expression of chemical defenses (Karban and Baldwin 1997; Schaller and Stintzi this volume), and herbivore damage as well as artificial wounding cause rapid increases in jasmonic acid (Bostock 1999; Reymond et al. 2000). In A. thaliana, artificial damage, but also application of jasmonic acid and application of giberellin increases trichome production in new leaves (Traw and Bergelson 2003). Application of salicylic acid, on the other hand, reduces trichome production and inhibits the response to jasmonic acid, which is consistent with negative cross-talk between the jasmonate- and salicylate dependent pathways in Arabidopsis (Traw and Bergelson 2003). Concentrations of salicylic acid typically increase in response to infection by biotrophic pathogens (Gaffney et al. 1993;Ryals et al. 1994), butmay also increase in response to damage caused by some herbivores (Stotz et al. 2002; van Poecke and Dicke 2002). This suggests that induction of increased trichome production will be affected by interactions with both herbivores and pathogens, and should vary depending on the identity of the herbivore.
"Interactive Effects of Jasmonic Acid, Salicylic Acid, and Gibberellin on Induction of Trichomes in Arabidopsis"
M. Brian Traw and Joy Bergelson
Plant Physiology, December 2003, Vol. 133, pp. 1367–1375
Leaf trichomes protect plants from attack by insect herbivores and are often induced following damage. Hormonal regulation of this plant induction response has not been previously studied. In a series of experiments, we addressed the effects of artificial damage, jasmonic acid, salicylic acid, and gibberellin on induction of trichomes in Arabidopsis. Artificial damage and jasmonic acid caused significant increases in trichome production of leaves. The jar1-1 mutant exhibited normal trichome induction following treatment with jasmonic acid, suggesting that adenylation of jasmonic acid is not necessary. Salicylic acid had a negative effect on trichome production and consistently reduced the effect of jasmonic acid, suggesting negative cross-talk between the jasmonate and salicylate-dependent defense pathways.

Interestingly, the effect of salicylic acid persisted in the nim1-1 mutant, suggesting that the Npr1/Nim1 gene is not downstream of salicylic acid in the negative regulation of trichome production. Last, we found that gibberellin and jasmonic acid had a synergistic effect on the induction of trichomes, suggesting important interactions between these two compounds.
"METHYL JASMONATE APPLICATION INDUCES INCREASED DENSITIES OF GLANDULAR TRICHOMES ON TOMATO, Lycopersicon esculentum"
ANTHONY J. BOUGHTON,* KELLI HOOVER, and GARY W. FELTON
Journal of Chemical Ecology, Vol. 31, No. 9, September 2005

• Note, type IV glandular trichomes are defined as: "short with a 2-4 celled glandular head"

Abstract

This study was designed to address whether applications of methyl jasmonate (MJ) or Benzothiadiazole (BTH) to cultivated tomato, Lycopersicon esculentum, induced elevated densities of defense related glandular trichomes on new leaves. Four-leaf tomato plants were sprayed with MJ, BTH, or control solutions, and the density of type VI glandular trichomes on new leaves was subsequently determined at 3, 7, 14, 21, and 28 d. At 7, 14, and 21 d, the density of type VI glandular trichomes on new leaves was significantly higher on MJ-treated plants than on BTH- or control treated plants. At 7 and 14 d after treatment, the mean density of glandular trichomes on new leaves of MJ-treated plants was ninefold higher than on leaves of control-treated plants. We observed entrapment of immature western flower thrips in trichomes on MJ-treated plants at higher rates than on BTH or control plants. Studies to evaluate potential trade-offs between reductions in pest populations by increased trichome density and possible negative impacts of trichome induction on biological control agents are needed.

"Fine-Tuning Plant Defence Signalling: Salicylate versus Jasmonate"
G. J. M. Beckers1 and S. H. Spoel
Plant Biology 8 (2006)

Abstract:

Plant defences against pathogens and herbivorous insects form a comprehensive network of interacting signal transduction pathways. The signalling molecules salicylic acid (SA) and jasmonic acid (JA) play important roles in this network. SA is involved in signalling processes providing systemic acquired resistance (SAR), protecting the plant from further infection after an initial pathogen attack. SAR is long-lasting and provides broad spectrum resistance to biotrophic pathogens that feed on a living host cell. The regulatory protein NPR1 is a central positive regulator of SAR. SA-activated NPR1 localizes to the nucleus where it interacts with TGA transcription factors to induce the expression of a large set of pathogenesis-related proteins that contribute to the enhanced state of resistance. In a distinct signalling process, JA protects the plant from insect infestation and necrotrophic pathogens that kill the host cell before feeding. JA activates the regulatory protein COI1 that is part of the E3 ubiquitin ligase-containing complex SCFCOI1, which is thought to derepress JA-responsive genes involved in plant defence. Both synergistic and antagonistic interactions have been observed between SA- and JA-dependent defences. NPR1 has emerged as a critical modulator of cross-talk between the SA and JA signal and is thought to aid in fine tuning defense responses specific to the encountered attacker. Here we review SA- and JA-dependent signal transduction and summarize our current understanding of the molecular mechanisms of cross-talk between these defences.

"The Role of Salicylic Acid and Jasmonic Acid in Pathogen Defence"

V. A. Halim, A. Vess, D. Scheel, and S. Rosahl
Plant Biology 8 (2006)

Abstract:

Phytohormones are not only instrumental in regulating developmental processes in plants but also play important roles for the plant’s responses to biotic and abiotic stresses. In particular, abscisic acid, ethylene, jasmonic acid, and salicylic acid have been shown to possess crucial functions in mediating or orchestrating stress responses in plants. Here, we review the role of salicylic acid and jasmonic acid in pathogen defence responses with special emphasis on their function in the solanaceous plant potato.

"Roles of Salicylic Acid, Jasmonic Acid, and Ethylene in cpr-Induced Resistance in Arabidopsis"

Joseph D. Clarke, Sigrid M. Volko, Heidi Ledford, Frederick M. Ausubel and Xinnian Dong
The Plant Cell, Vol. 12, 2175–2190, November 2000

Disease resistance in Arabidopsis is regulated by multiple signal transduction pathways in which salicylic acid (SA), jasmonic acid (JA), and ethylene (ET) function as key signaling molecules. Epistasis analyses were performed betwee mutants that disrupt these pathways (npr1, eds5, ein2, and jar1) and mutants that constitutively activate these pathways (cpr1, cpr5, and cpr6), allowing exploration of the relationship between the SA- and JA/ET mediated resistance responses. Two important findings were made. First, the constitutive disease resistance exhibited by cpr1, cpr5, and cpr6 is completely suppressed by the SA-deficient eds5 mutant but is only partially affected by the SA-insensitive npr1 mutant. Moreover, eds5 suppresses the SA-accumulating phenotype of the cpr mutants, whereas npr1 enhances it. These data indicate the existence of an SA-mediated, NPR1-independent resistance response. Second, the ET-insensitive mutation ein2 and the JA-insensitive mutation jar1 suppress the NPR1-independent resistance response exhibited by cpr5 and cpr6. Furthermore, ein2 potentiates SA accumulation in cpr5 and cpr5 npr1 while dampening SA accumulation in cpr6 and cpr6 npr1. These latter results indicate that cpr5 and cpr6 regulate resistance through distinct pathways and that SA-mediated, NPR1-independent resistance works in combination with components of the JA/ET-mediated response pathways.

"Arabidopsis Jasmonate Signaling Pathway"
Aurélie Gfeller, Robin Liechti and Edward E. Farmer (16 February 2010)
Science Signaling (2010) 3(109), cm4
Jasmonates control defense gene expression, growth, and fertility throughout the plant kingdom and have been studied extensively in Arabidopsis thaliana. The prohormone jasmonic acid (JA) is conjugated to amino acids such as isoleucine to form the active hormone jasmonoyl-isoleucine (JA-Ile). A series of breakthroughs has identified the SCF [SCF consists of four subunits: a cullin, SKP1 (S-phase kinase-associated protein 1), a RING finger protein (RBX1/HRT1/ROC1), and an F-box protein] CORONATINE INSENSITIVE1 (COI1) E3 ubiquitin ligase complex and the JASMONATE ZIM-DOMAIN (JAZ) proteins as central components in the perception of and transcriptional response to JA-Ile. JAZ proteins (most probably as dimers) bind transcription factors such as MYC2 before JA-Ile production. JA-Ile binds to COI1 to facilitate the formation of COI1-JAZ complexes, leading to ubiquitination and subsequent degradation of JAZ proteins. The degradation of JAZ proteins liberates transcription factors that function in the presence of the RNA polymerase II coregulatory complex Mediator to permit the expression of a number of jasmonate-regulated genes. Recent developments include the identification of COI1 as a receptor for jasmonates. Upstream of the signaling events, microRNA319 (miR319)
negatively regulates the production of JA and JA-derived signals.

"Weights in the Balance: Jasmonic Acid and Salicylic Acid Signaling in Root-Biotroph Interactions"

Caroline Gutjahr and Uta Paszkowski
MPMI Vol. 22, No. 7, 2009, pp. 763–772
  • This paper shows the high level of JA application (or often with lower level) inhibits AM fungi infection of host roots, but that low level application of JA helps AM fungi infection of host roots. It is also shown that SA can hinder AM fungi infection of roots...

Work on the interaction of aerial plant parts with pathogens has identified the signaling molecules jasmonic acid (JA) and salicylic acid (SA) as important players in induced defense of the plant against invading organisms. Much less is known about the role of JA and SA signaling in root infection. Recent progress has been made in research on plant interactions with biotrophic mutualists and parasites that exclusively associate with roots, namely arbuscular mycorrhizal and rhizobial symbioses on one hand and nematode and parasitic plant interactions on the other hand. Here, we review these recent advances relating JA and SA signaling to specific stages of root colonization and discuss how both signaling molecules contribute to a balance between compatibility and defense in mutualistic as well as parasitic biotroph-root interactions.

"Salicylic Acid and Jasmonic Acid Signaling Defense Pathways Reduce Natural Bacterial Diversity on Arabidopsis thaliana"
Joel M. Kniskern, M. Brian Traw, and Joy Bergelson
MPMI Vol. 20, No. 12, 2007, pp. 1512–1522

Terrestrial plants serve as large and diverse habitats for a wide range of pathogenic and nonpathogenic microbes, yet these communities are not well described and little is known about the effects of plant defense on microbial communities in nature. We designed a field experiment to determine how variation in two plant defense signaling pathways affects the size, diversity, and composition of the natural endophytic and epiphytic bacterial communities of Arabidopsis thaliana. To do this, we provide an initial characterization of these bacterial communities in one population in southwestern Michigan, United States, and we compare these two communities among A. thaliana mutants deficient in salicylic acid (SA) and jasmonic acid (JA) signaling defense pathways, controls, and plants with artificially elevated levels of defense. We identified 30 distinct bacterial groups on A. thaliana that differ in colony morphology and 16S rRNA sequence. We show that induction of SA-mediated defenses reduced endophytic bacterial community diversity, whereas plants deficient in JA-mediated defenses experienced greater epiphytic bacterial diversity. Furthermore, there was a positive relationship between total community size and diversity, indicating that relatively susceptible plants should, in general, harbor higher bacterial diversity. This experiment provides novel information about the ecology of bacteria on A. thaliana and demonstrates that variation in two specific plant-signaling defense pathways can influence bacterial diversity on plants.

"Negative cross-talk between salicylate-and jasmonate-mediated pathways in the Wassilewskija ecotype of Arabidopsis thaliana"

M. B. TRAW, J. KIM, S. ENRIGHT, D. F. CIPOLLINI and J . BERGELSON
Molecular Ecology (2003) 12, 1125–1135

Plants often respond to attack by insect herbivores and necrotrophic pathogens with induction of jasmonate-dependent resistance traits, but respond to attack by biotrophic pathogens with induction of salicylate-dependent resistance traits. To assess the degree to which the jasmonate- and salicylate-dependent pathways interact, we compared pathogenesis-related protein activity and bacterial performance in four mutant Arabidopsis thaliana lines relative to their wild-type backgrounds. We found that two salicylate-dependent pathway mutants (cep1, nim1-1) exhibited strong effects on the growth of the generalist biotrophic pathogen, Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato, whereas two jasmonate-dependent pathway mutants (fad3-2fad7-2fad8, jar1-1) did not. Leaf peroxidase and exochitinase activity were negatively correlated with bacterial growth, whereas leaf polyphenol oxidase activity and trypsin inhibitor concentration were not. Interestingly, leaf total glucosinolate concentration was positively correlated with bacterial growth. In the same experiment, we also found that application of jasmonic acid generally increased leaf peroxidase activity and trypsin inhibitor concentration in the mutant lines. However, the cep1 mutant, shown previously to overexpress salicylic acid, exhibited no detectable biological or chemical responses to jasmonic acid, suggesting that high levels of salicylic acid may have inhibited a plant response. In a second experiment, we compared the effect of jasmonic acid and/or salicylic acid on two ecotypes of A. thaliana. Application of salicylic acid to the Wassilewskija ecotype decreased bacterial growth. However, this effect was not observed when both salicylic acid and jasmonic acid were applied, suggesting that jasmonic acid negated the beneficial effect of salicylic acid. Collectively, our results confirm that the salicylate-dependent pathway is more important than the jasmonate-dependent pathway in determining growth of P. syringae pv. tomato in A. thaliana, and suggest important negative interactions between these two major defensive pathways in the Wassilewskija ecotype. In contrast, the Columbia ecotype exhibited little evidence of negative interactions between the two pathways, suggesting intraspecific variability in how these pathways interact in A. thaliana.

Attachments

• Salicylic Acid and Jasmonic Acid Signaling Defense.pdf
    423.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Weights in the balance - jasmonic acid and salicylic acid signaling in root-biotroph interaction.pdf
    192 KB · Views: 87
  • Arabidopsis Jasmonate Signaling Pathway.pdf
    130.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Roles of Salicylic Acid, Jasmonic Acid, and Ethylene in cpr-Induced Resistance in Arabidopsis.pdf
    442.1 KB · Views: 96
  • The Role of Salicylic Acid and Jasmonic Acid in Pathogen Defence.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Fine-Tuning Plant Defence Signalling - Salicylate versus Jasmonate.pdf
    181.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Methyl Jasmonate Application Induces Increased Densities of Glandular Trichomes on Tomato.pdf
    194.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Interactive Effects of Jasmonic Acid, Salicylic Acid, and Gibberellin on Induction of Trichomes .pdf
    284.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Leaf Trichome Formation and Plant Resistance to Herbivory.pdf
    242.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Negative cross-talk between salicylate- and jasmonate-mediated pathways.pdf
    400.3 KB · Views: 76

spurr

Veteran
spurr said:
hey,

Here is my mix, and a nearly equivalent mix from CNS-17, in the following thread:Hemp (Cannabis sativa L) tissue nutrient analysis data

by fat the best nute mix i have ever come across...thank u Spurr....not only have u saved me lots of money....but my plants have taken off with ur mix...never any problems at all :dance013:

Glad it's working so well for you my friend :)

It really works great from my testing of it too. If I grew with chems as a rule (and not biological organics), I would use my mix over any other mix I have ever seen. I think the addition of Si really helps a lot. I plan to mess around with the mix a little in the near future, maybe reducing CalMag+ by 25%...

The claims by Mel Frank, et al., about needing high level of P, and other flaws in their claims of ideal fert mix for cannabis is a hindrance to cannabis growers. I think my mix can outperform any other mix out there for soilless or hydro (in terms of cost effectiveness, efficacy on plant growth and health, etc), including all the Lucas formals and GH3's formula, as well as formulas from Advanced Nutrients, etc.

mark6699331

Great paper links. Thank you! I can't wait to try the Jas. Acid. If i order from the chem. website, not the pre-bottle, do i need the polysorbate mentioned on the other thread to dissolve it in water?
Also, i used GA extensively in the 80's to produce male flowers on female plants. It stretched them significatntly and then popped male xx xx's at the end. I never received a hermie from the seed progeny ever. Maybe my dosage was too high for general trichome increase in flowering, as it seemed to make them stretch to their death.
Thanks for the great info.
I'm very interested in the Tricantinal as well.
Last question, TMV or prolly, HSV, or one of the four Mosiac Viruses that can invade cannabis has been at epidemic levels in Humboldt County lately. I think too much unprotected cut trading. Any suggestion besides inducing SARS to combat this? I'm working on some seed oil extract Quassinoiads from south china in a DMSO solution. Any antiviral homrone usages much appreciated.
M

spurr

Veteran
Great paper links. Thank you! I can't wait to try the Jas. Acid. If i order from the chem. website, not the pre-bottle, do i need the polysorbate mentioned on the other thread to dissolve it in water?

The polysorbate helps, yes.

Also, i used GA extensively in the 80's to produce male flowers on female plants. It stretched them significatntly and then popped male xx xx's at the end. I never received a hermie from the seed progeny ever. Maybe my dosage was too high for general trichome increase in flowering, as it seemed to make them stretch to their death.
Yea, GA3 makes them stretch like mad even in small doses.

Thanks for the great info.
:tiphat:

I'm very interested in the Tricantinal as well.
I plan to upload TRIA and BRASS studies soon. I think TRIA and BRASS are by far the best combo for increasing yield, growth (not stretch), phototropism, etc.

I think remembered incorrectly about studies showing 25 ppm of TRIA, I can not find them again. Anyehwere from 0.01 ppm to 10 ppm is used in studies I have re-found. After reviewing many dozen studies over the past two weeks, I can't find the older studies I thought I had read before, re: 25 ppm. Some studies find 10^-6 as effective, and others find 2-5 ppm as effective. I have not tested 1-5 ppm of TRIA, but I plan to. If I can get the same, or better results with lesser quantity then that's a good thing.

For BRASS using 0.01-0.1 ppm is the application range, I normally use 0.05 ppm.

Last question, TMV or prolly, HSV, or one of the four Mosiac Viruses that can invade cannabis has been at epidemic levels in Humboldt County lately. I think too much unprotected cut trading. Any suggestion besides inducing SARS to combat this? I'm working on some seed oil extract Quassinoiads from south china in a DMSO solution. Any antiviral homrone usages much appreciated.
M
Hmmm, I will look into it. I know SA has been found effective (to some degree) against tobacco mosaic virus via inducing SAR. SA tends to be more effective against viruses and JA tends to be more effective against pathogen fungi (ex. powdery mildew), insect attack, etc. SA acts more strongly as a SAR inducer then does JA; some studies find JA doesn't not induce SAR, but other studies find it does. Gotta love the occasional ambiguity of science <sarcasm> ;)

Just feel I need to ask: you know how dangerous DMSO is when using with various substances, correct? Make sure to wear sufficiently thick, and long, rubber gloves. More than a couple of scientists have died from not respecting the efficacy of DMSO to move chems through human skin. Be safe, and let us know what you find, I will look into mosaic virus for you later next week.

MrFista

Veteran
"abscisic acid (ABA) is one of the key players regulating stomatal function. In addition, auxin, cytokinin, ethylene, brassinosteroids, jasmonates, and salicylic acid also contribute to stomatal aperture regulation"

This from the first abstract you posted spurr.

JEEPERS! Seven (known) players, and that's just hormones and pgr's in stomatal regulation...

Fantastic to see such level of detail coming to light, eventually I think we will be using meta studies of this type of information coupled with (an as yet uninvented, needing it to be fast and cheap) gene reader to use artificial selection for plants that give themselves optimal doses of pgr's at optimal times.

This may prove a much faster route to maximising production than the pretensions we understand fluid genomes and can build plants genetically. We are like teenage boys stabbing our dicks at linen pantyhose and thinking we're in when it comes to GE.

Let the plants do the specialising, and we do the selecting (as we have always done), with this new information at our fingertips.

Had a few beers. sorry :laughing:

Spurr,

I’ve been looking for a practical source for jasmonic acid for years. Thanks for providing this valuable information about Jaz Rose Spray.

Perhaps other similar jasmonic based products may be available from the local grow shop, but at inflated prices (Ooze Bloom?) maybe it’s a waste of money. I’m not sure, since the non-plant food ingredients are never listed.

You’re fantastic.

Thanks!

mark6699331

Thanks again for the usefull, practical, and intelligent answers. And the DMSO reminder. I'll treat it with respect. Not for novices. Originally i was a dbl, chemie/physics major, the nuclear variety and flipped for English Lit. (a long interesting story actually involving a teacher who flew over first after we dropped the bomb to photograph the effects and report to Truman. Yikes! Needless to say, he flipped from science to Enlish Literature to as a teacher).
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Latest posts