What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Enzyme discussion - DIY enzyme product

Scay Beez

Definition of fermentation with fermented foods as the focus:

The scientific meaning of fermentation is the energy-yielding anaerobic metabolism of a nutrients, such as sugars, without oxidation. Fermentation converts these nutrients mainly into lactic acid, acetic acid, and ethanol.

These are fermentation end product of some microorganisms:

* Saccharomyces: ethyl alcohol and carbon dioxide
* Streptococcus and Lactobacillus: lactic acid
* Propionibacterium: propionic acid, acetic acid, and carbon dioxide
* Escherichia coli: acetic acid, lactic acid, succinic acid, ethyl alcohol, carbon
dioxide, and hydrogen
* Enterobacter: formic acid, ethyl alcohol, 2,3-butanediol, lactic acid, carbon
dioxide, and hydrogen
* Clostridium: butyric acid, butyl alcohol, acetone, isopropyl alcohol, carbon dioxide,
and hydrogen

In a broader meaning, fermentation refers to the growth of microorganisms on food. Here no distinction is made between aerobic (oxygen is used) and anaerobic (no oxygen is used) metabolism. We will here use this broader meaning of fermentation. Fermentation will gradually change the characteristics of the food by the action of enzymes, produced by some bacteria, molds and yeasts.

A little bit of fermented foods information on this site.
http://www.tempeh.info/fermentation/fermentation.php

- sbz

Scay Beez

AN Sensizyme

AN Sensizyme

I read AN's encyclopedia (which is great, btw) about their Sensizyme product. This product has 80 enzymes in it, which is far more than any other product out there. They buy all their enzymes from companies that mass produce them industrially. One of the enzymes is produced by a genetically modified yeast strain according to their encyclopedia. Needless to say I won't be using it because of the GMOs.

- sbz

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Scay Beez said:
I read AN's encyclopedia (which is great, btw) about their Sensizyme product. This product has 80 enzymes in it, which is far more than any other product out there. They buy all their enzymes from companies that mass produce them industrially. One of the enzymes is produced by a genetically modified yeast strain according to their encyclopedia. Needless to say I won't be using it because of the GMOs.

- sbz

Ya **** that, I can't believe Sensizyme is even OMRI listed if its using GMO's. In fact I don't think thats legal...

Scay Beez

I guess it is possible to insert other RNA inside bacteria and fungus and make them produce different enzymes other than what they naturally produce. So the enzymes themselves aren't GMO, just produced by a GMO organism. I hate frankenfoods and advise others to follow suite. Funny how a punk rock band gets their album brought to the supreme court for talking out against GMOs and religion (dead kennedys) in the 80s.

Kentucky Fried Ch... oh wait its not legal to advertise that anymore -> KFC because it's not real chicken anymore.

- sbz

G

Hi guys. I'm an organic hydro practiser but I think I can help with improving enzyme and beneficial bacteria for soil grows.

Outside I have 2 spinach plants. 1 is fed plain water (aged, no chlorine) and the other water from a pond.

The spinach recieving pond water is FOUR TIMES the size of the other.

Now, what's in it.... (pond water, pond is planted too, makes a big difference to biological diversity)

Nitrate, nitrobacters, nitrosomonas, michorhizal fungi, enzymes, and a myriad of other microflora and fauna.

I've successfully used this water on plum and apple trees, citrus, many vegetables, and a large range of herbs.

I grow Aquaponics - Fish water is my hydro solution. I've studied it for several years now. The evidence is out there, the water is loaded with goods.

So, save the envoronment from Aquaculture pollution and do your garden a favour, when you clean your tank or change the water - throw it in the garden.

Enjoy.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good info bongsong, although most of us dont have a backyard pond. that is a great source of micros. I go to the local creek and pond in the mountains to collect water and the plants love that stuff more than anything i can mix up.

R

Relik

Whenever I can I use water from my fish tank, either in a tea or just to water plants, it does wonders.

Regarding enzymes, I think if we could find a way to mass breed saprophytic fungi, which feed on dead organic matter with the help of the exo-enzymes they produce (amylase, cellulase, peptidase, chitinase, protease, lipase), we could come up with something.

Scay Beez

Unpolluted bodies of water are a great thing. I would be all about using fish or clean pond water if I had access to it. Properly used organics is the way to help mother nature repair herself.

Check this thread about hygrozyme I ran across and the comments about it.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=1257167#post1257167

I also read their full product description again and it mentions a bio-fermentation process used to make their products. I'm starting to really think that Hygrozyme = Rejuvelac. I'm going to grab some sproutable barley and wheatgrass berries soon.

- sbz

Last edited:
G

Those are good links there. The first is explained better I think.

I'm quite sure, with the limited knowledge I have, that you are on the right track. One function enzymes perform that nothing else can is the breaking down of lignin (cellulose). Sprouting demands an enzyme crew to do the job.

A fermentation process in creating enzymes also sounds desirable. Biggest problem with organics is keeping it. A mild alcohol base would help a great deal.

I'm hooked on my fish systems etc but have gardens as well. Being in this forum has been a relatively easy fast lesson in soil structure and biology. Many other organic forums obfuscate the information with political tyranny :muahaha:

So, from a cow chewing country boy - thumbs up for a great forum guys. :headbange

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bump!

found some barley seeds for 50cents a lb got some to try out the rejuvelac.

5915IMG_8512-med.jpg

5915IMG_8504-med.jpg

but then now i dont know if im going to make that rejuvelac stuff or grow barley grass because i found this.

Barley grass is said to have 30 times more vitamin B1 and 11 times the amount of calcium than there is in cow’s milk, 6.5 times as much carotene and nearly 5 times the iron content of spinach, close to seven times the vitamin C in oranges, four times the vitamin B1 in whole wheat flour, and 80 micrograms of vitamin B12 per 100 grams of dried barley plant juice.

Barley grass is very high in organic sodium, which dissolves calcium deposited on the joints and also replenishes organic sodium in the lining of the stomach. This aids digestion by improving the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. People with arthritis have used celery juice for years because of the organic sodium it contains (28mg per 100grms), but compare this to the amount of organic sodium in barley grass (775mg per 100 grams)!

Barley grass, at the time it is harvested to make juice, is about 45 percent protein. It has almost twice as much protein as an equivalent amount of wheat germ and about five times the minerals which accompany animal protein, in addition the protein in barley grass doesn't come burdened with fat.

Enzymes (barley grass is believed to contain up to 1,000 of them) are the necessary regulators of the body, without them our cells could not function and we would perish. Barley grass has one of the highest natural levels of enzyme SOD (superoxide dismutase), which is a powerful antioxidant that protects the cells against toxic free radicals, thought to be a primary culprit in aging.

Barley grass also contains one of the most amazing nutrients, “chlorophyll “(liquid oxygenated sunshine), a natural detoxifier that rids the intestines of stored toxins.

Sure, you don't have to drink green grass juices to get chlorophyll; it is present in all dark green, leafy vegetables. But the question is “ how many servings of spinach, kale, collards, mustard greens, or turnip and beet tops, do you eat everyday?" Some people eat none…ever! And for those who do eat them regularly, there is, after all, a limit to the amount of spinach, kale and the likes someone can eat.

i know this is mentioning for the body but this stuff has to be some good for the plants with all the goodies in it even if all of them are not used.

Scay Beez

Nice jaykush! Beat me to the punch.. I've got some wheatgrass seeds but my all my jars are stuffed full..haha... I had to help some friends tear down a crop due to an emergency and every container is needed.

I found two different rejuvelac recipes, one ferments the sprouts as soon as they show tails and the other one blends up the sprouts and ferments them. Fermenting wheatgrass/barley juice with the rejuvelac is also something I want to try.

I imagine that barley and wheatgrass by themselves would be an awesome supplement. I have never read that calcium becoming more available tip though. Quick immediate Calcium availability is definitely a problem in gardening.

- sbz

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey yea no problem with empty jars here sadly. so hopefully this experiment goes towards some full jars in the future lol.

i still want to try the rejuvelac but i wanted to find some rye seeds for that actually like that link.

the barleygrass has an insane amount of minerals and vitamins and goodies, and minerals are always left out of most grows and the plants do not reach full potential so im hoping this will help the plants. not sure about how immediate the calcium is to the plant as those quotes are for you to drink it, but im sure well find out and it seems to be a good experiment to me.

Scay Beez

seebobski: Thanks for the kind words. My life has been in turmoil for a while so I haven't been able to finish testing this out yet. I had to buy a bottle of hygrozyme (smells like barley/barleywine) I've been righting bugs and now crazy storms the last few days. I lost power for a few days and thank goodness everything is still alive and kickin! My neighbor's house about four houses down burnt to the ground and there are so many fir and redwood trees down it's insane.

I haven't gotten a chance to talk to my scientists friends cause I've been busy sorting out problems. After some research that dynamic balance product is archaea bacteria found in hot springs (I can't wait to explore the spot they were found). Biozome is a much cheaper alternative ($20/LB compared to $150/LB). It fixes nitrogen, helps with phosphorus, fixes silicate, and makes mychorizae germinate faster.

- sbz

seebobski

I have been playing with rejuvelac also.I found on a suculant catus new shoots poping form base and the top that was topped and cloned.this is with the wheat berry.now playing with barley.I have also added seed soaking water in tea.tea now that a topic!!trying new sugar,starch,and proteins like soy meal,potato meal, blue agave nector, tapioca starch(from yucca plant) all organic.this storm was pretty bad.sound like your in the hills close hope everyone is safe!

G

enzymes i find very interesting. a little hard to jump right into though but nevertheless they make the gardens lushious..

hey i dont mean to go off topic or if i even am off topic with this question, but.....

what is the best enzyme product out there:
hygrozyme (think it the bushmaster, purple maxx and gravity guys that market this)
hydrozyme (grotek)
sensizyme (AN) and what are GMO's?
cannazyme (canna)

let me know as i use hygrozyme now cause when i ordered my AN 2+ line the dude at D.A.N. told me not to buy the sensizyme he had cause it went bad on the super heated cargo section of the delivery truck and he was waiting on a new batch.

i heard that hygrozyme doesnt have the enzyme to break down dead root mass like sensizyme does.

i was shooting to get some sensizyme but if you guys feel there is a better one out there let me know. i dont know what GMO's are and i have read in this thread that senxi has them what are they ?

First of all kudos to BongSong for everything he said. Aquaculture will literally save our planet. Literally.

Also, it was mentioned that "if you could only grow saphrophytic fungi", well I use old casings of rye berry and oat straw from cubensis in my organic soil. I throw them in the compost when the casings are contaminated by tricoderma, which is a green mold deadly to mushies but extremely beneficial to crops, so much so farmers buy tricoderma to innoculate their fields. For the last two days I have had smaller cubensis raise their veils in my orange diesil youngsters and I thought to take a picture but then said fuck it, and threw the mushies back into the compost. Long story short, I use SubCulture and Hydroguard along with my homegrown mycellial compost, and I think the Europonic Fossil Fuel that I drenched them with 5 days ago (humics) did wonders for the microbiology under the plants and really greened them up.

Several folks have talked about alfalfa seedlings and other seedlings being blenderized and poured into a tea concoction. I think it would be cheapest if one threw a mix of ryeberry seeds, alfalfa seeds, wheatgrass seeds into a metal pan hit them with water and sprouted them, then ground them up in a blender with some fresh papaya or pineapple, then hit them with some common bakers yeast and some sugar and let them sit at room temperature for a week before adding to the next batch of super tea.

I think we would have something there on the super cheap, especially if the water was pond water.... none of those products cost more than a dollar other than the fresh (or not so fresh fruit) fruit. It might not be an enzyme, but their would definitely be enzymes in the slurry and plant alcohols too which are actually beneficial for the plant in small doses.

Just my 2 cents, :2cents:
The Afficianado

Scay Beez

Evil_Indica: Hydrozyme got sued by hygrozyme so they are no longer. Hygrozyme is completely organic and the other are not. Sensizyme uses Genetically Modified Strains of yeast (switching around RNA or DNA into yeast making it do a specific function; see advanced encyclopedia for more info) but has an insane 70 different enzymes. Canna I've never used but I hear/read hygrozyme works better. It has a very sweet scent that I've smelt somewhere. I'm more concerned with keeping it organic as possible.

Benefits of using enzymes would be healthier root mass, no dead roots to attract bugs, bigger potential root mass in a container. Depending on the variety of enzymes they can also help break down organics and some claim to be able to eat away insect carcasses. Addition of enzyme also stimulates fungi and bacteria to produce more of their own.

TheAfficianado: Welcome, nice post. You got me thinking. Good observation with the green mold! I love growing mushies as well. I could eat morels, shitakes, and oyster mushrooms everyday! Bacteria, Fungi, and enzymes will help save the planet as well. Fungi can uptake radioactive material, dangerous chemicals (including petroleum), and restore the most polluted pieces of land. Superthrive is an alfalfa extract.. not sure if its an enzyme or not. I read that feeding mushroom compost to worms is the way to go... high chitin levels from the mushrooms.

- sbz