What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Recycling (empty) Butane Cans

sodalitas

Any thoughts/suggestions on recycling empty butane cans?
I do know they need to be punctured to be recycled.
Safe?

sodalitas

Yep.
I did a little more research, then tried it out for myself.
A can opener (the actual old school beer/soda bottle openers, with the other more pointy end for cans) works fine and dandy.
(For the record, its not totally 'empty' I did get a bit of a 'swoosh' as the tip penetrated in)

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
just chuck it in the trash, recycling's bullshit, government pavlovian training

picture.php

sodalitas

Thank you.
To be sure though, I was mainly looking for information on depressurizing the cans for scrappers, not recyclers.

sodalitas

(I know someone paying his rent from scrapping. My thoughts were along the lines of 'I'm throwing it out anyway' So I was wondering how to make the cans acceptable from a metal scrap place.)

ThirstyRoss

Uh, in this case isn't the scrapper just recycling the metal?

Not sure how re-using a product such a metal (ie. recycling) is a bad thing.

sodalitas

SB:
No offense taken.
I got to thinking last night about how many millions of cans are being bagged up and dragged to dumpsters in Denver CO right now, and that there HAS to be some value being tossed out.
I do want to do a C.B.A. (Cost Benefit Analysis) on the time spent 'safing' the cans versus the value of raw scrap received.
I'll post back to this thread when I get some more info from my scrapper bro.

SativaBreather

Veteran
Uh, in this case isn't the scrapper just recycling the metal?

Not sure how re-using a product such a metal (ie. recycling) is a bad thing.

my problem with recycling in the uk may be due to reasons not applicable in the US, like we used to get our bins collected every week, then it went to every 2 weeks and then they introduced loads of new bins with loads of regulations bout what u can and cannot put in it and then the local paper reports how its all going in landfill anyway. total load of bullshit, part of the nonsense green agenda which is part of Agenda 21 and the fakery to bring in carbon taxes

sodalitas

SB, yes there's a company here called Waste Management that was dumping everything in a landfill no matter which container it was brought in from.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We recycle ours, after can tapping the contents, which leaves a hole in the side. When we use canned butane, we just throw the cans in our recycle bin, but not in huge quantities at one time.

A problem getting rid of large quantities, without attracting attention, so after accumulating too, too many, we gave about a dozen garbage bags to our attorney to get rid of. We were legal, but we believed it unwise to advertise.

I originally planned to build a crusher, that would crush them end wise, so that it wasn't clear what they are, but once we started recycling butane, and buying it in Lp-5's, can crushing dropped in priority.

sodalitas

Thank you, GW.
I TOTALLY feel you on many levels.
Like I said, I'll post a C.B.A. as soon as dude comes to pick up a couple hefty bags of empties and gives me the scrap value price.

(My thinking is that it's not worth it, but it has been something I've been pondering, and as I said, I'll post the particulars in a 'minute')

sodalitas

Eh, looks like $3-4/hr taking everything into account.
Not really worth it (for me personally) as just 'taking them to a dumpster' route is so fast & easy for most people. (I DO have a personal safe 'dumpster' who does pickups.)
Sorry, I was thinking 'out loud' in the first place,was all...

W89

Veteran
Cans are worthless, no point in wasting time.. You would get more money from selling a gram of bud than 15kg of cans lol

JointOperation

cut the tops off. and run a contest.. for largest yield from clone in a butane canister.. anyway u can cut it .. just need to use.. atleast a single portion of the can lol.. lol seen the yogurt contest and shot glass.. shit. i bet a butane can could yield at least 14 grams to a zip easy.

Latest posts

Latest posts