What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush grows out some homemade mystery seeds

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Let's look at the top buds

Let's look at the top buds

b0hQwtW.jpg

137FbIQ.jpg

q7cSczU.jpg

DuMzJwH.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I've decided that it just can't be right... this can't be an AK cross... this can't even be a blueberry cross... I really don't know what the fuck I crossed with what...

This kind of sucks.

I mean I'm not gonna lose sleep over it, but still, I would much prefer to know what I'm growing at any given time. But that said, these plants are really something! I was not expecting, well, ANY of what I'm seeing. I honestly thought these would be a KxNL of an unknown filial generation. That's what I was actively working on for a while. And honestly, several of these plants remind me of Northern Lights, which is interesting, because I would have had to have pollinated one of the NL-leaning plants in the F2 generation in order to see this expression, if I'm not mistaken (I might be though), which I don't remember doing, because I was focused on the dank, crystally, purple, kushy pheno. So if anything, I would have expected to see more of the kush-leaning specimens in this batch, if it had come from that project.

So again, I'm confused. None of the plants really smell like Blueberry anymore. The ones that did actually now smell more like a hashplant with subtle fruity undertones. The ones that were smelling like AK-47 still actually smell very good, very sweet, very delicious... but they don't exactly smell like that white cake smell anymore that instantly reminded me of AK. One of the plants, in fact, one that used to smell the most like Blueberry, now looks almost *exactly* like one of my favorite Northern Skunk phenos that I grew. It has a chunky structure that always reminded me of a Cheese pheno I grew out a long time ago. But I don't recall pollinating any northern skunks, and I already went through all of the selfed NS seeds that accidentally occurred. In general, I'm seeing colors and expressions that I've just not seen anywhere else, and I can't imagine for the life of me where they are coming from. For instance, I've *never* grown out any strains that gave me pink pistils. Yet, those were making themselves known in this garden since the first week of flowering.

So anyway, I'm a bit dismayed that I don't feel confident about what genetics are in these plants. It feels a bit like it does when a song is ended with a diminished chord... something just feels unresolved. But oh well, it's fun, and exciting, and all that kind of stuff... it just makes me think I probably shouldn't ever use these genetics in breeding projects, because I will be leaving question marks all over the family trees.

Also, these are really taking their time. I don't think it's because I'm under low-wattage LED lights, either. None of the plants have begun their fade yet. I'm trying to speed things along by having shifted from 12/12 to 11/13, and also by beginning the flush. I just flushed all 7 pots yesterday, and then refilled the reservoir with plain, ph-adjusted water. I'm running out of smokables, so I have to hurry this along.

I have a few hundred seeds of this hybrid, whateverthefuck it is. At least there's that. :biggrin:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I chopped one of them yesterday. The smallest one. Was in the very center of the garden the entire time. Just didn't amount to much, no biggie. All cloudy trichomes, maybe 4 or 5 amber ones that I could see. Smells like candy.

yBbENGi.jpg

7V9wJ8I.jpg

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Hmmm..

Blueberry and kush?? They definitely look like there's BB genetics in there. When you said AK I had doubts, they just look too classic BLD type plants and don't look like they have much branching. Possible they're F2's of Peak's BB/Kush line? Or BB/NL?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
They actually were fairly branchy... I just chopped off all the branches in the early stages, that's all.

But your point remains. I actually don't remember pollinating any of those AKs anyway, so I was hesitant about considering the possibility that these have AK in them. It's just, that sweet smell is so familiar to me from that variety. I do remember dusting lots of things with BB pollen, so I'm fairly certain that these are half BB. But the other half? I just don't know.

I never grew those varieties you mentioned. I only grew Peak's NS, BB, SS, and KxNL. It's very possible that I dusted a KxNL with some BB pollen. It's also possible that I dusted a KxNL F2 with it. And visually, these plants do look like they contain Kush and/or BB generics. Except for the multicolored spear shaped ones. Those kind of remind me of a NS pheno.

Whatever. It's okay. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. But it does feel like an itch that I just can't scratch, so it's annoying. Slightly. :biggrin:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I finally tried my first sampler of that first plant. I just vaped a little nug, and I'm quite medicated right now. It's very relaxed. I feel it mostly in the body. Can't comment on flavor or aroma, since it hasn't cured, but the effect is quite nice already, and it'll only get better. This is niiiiice. :cool:

I mentioned above that I would be returning to my KxNL project after this harvest, but it actually looks like I'll be growing out some testers for Female Seeds instead. So I'm thrilled about that! I'll post a link to that new thread in this one, whenever it happens. Probably within a couple weeks though. :biggrin:

It's still nighttime in the grow room at the moment, but I'll post some pictures later on today. :tiphat:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Day 66. These plants have been in constant darkness for 4 days now. They have stopped being watered for 2 days now.

YUwVWcm.jpg

iuqO2E8.jpg

GMhZrQX.jpg

VzbEp0P.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
MbapHkd.jpg

BQzft8m.jpg

3pIvBW2.jpg

That last one there (it's the one that looks visibly darker, almost purplish, in the group shot) is the only plant that looks like something I recognize, and that is, it looks very similar to a pheno that comes out in the Kush x NL F2s. It's actually my favorite pheno in those. So I'm wondering now if maybe I pollinated a KxNL after all. But even if I did, I still don't know with what pollen. Some of these plants do sort of remind me of Northern Lights a little bit, so I'm going to have to assume that I pollinated one of my favorite KxNLs with Northern Skunk (NL x Sweet Skunk) pollen. That's about all the mental activity I'm going to put into the mystery from here on out. If any smells or flavors come out and give it away, then so be it. I just don't think I'll ever know for sure what these are.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
They also look as if they're taking their sweet time maturing. Are the trichs telling a different story?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
They also look as if they're taking their sweet time maturing. Are the trichs telling a different story?

No, they seem to be telling the same story. These are a long flowering variety, which makes it even more confusing, but if there is any Sweet Skunk genetics in these, that might explain it. Some SS phenos were 12+ week finishers. I did have a little bit of SS pollen for a little while, but I could have sworn that I used it all up on Blueberry plants. Makes me wonder if I did pollinate something (presumably a KxNL generation) with some SS pollen. That is the only way I can explain away this long flowering time.

I did just notice last night that one of the plants (the darker, purplish one) is ready to come down according to its trichomes, so that one is finished. But the rest of them have barely any amber, and are pretty much mostly cloudy. So I'm just going to harvest them all pretty soon and call it a day, so I can start up my next garden (which should hopefully be Female Seeds testers: Skunk Special and Chem OG :dance013:). Next time I work with these seeds, now that I know they are worth working with, I will spend more time with pheno selection and I'll grow them under HPS instead of LED.

I won't be revegging any of these plants. If any of them are good, I'll seek out similar phenos in the future, but I have several hundred seeds so I'm not interested in holding on to any mothers from these seeds at the moment.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I chopped the darker plant last night. I'm really surprised how large the cola became! I didn't notice it until I pulled off the fan leaves and larger flower leaves, right before the chop. I think it will end up being the largest yielder. It's really dense and chunky. So that was a fun little surprise, since I thought it would be more average in the yield department. It's just how dense and massive the individual flowers are, which I couldn't really tell by visuals alone.

Du307JS.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The first plant I chopped is finally dry. Small buds, but frosty. I won't be manicuring them, because I'm vaping it anyway. But they're still nice the way they are. :biggrin:

sj7nGgd.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Day 69. I harvested all of the remaining plants tonight. I didn't take any pics but they looked the same as they did in the last update from 3 days ago, I promise. :biggrin:

What I found interesting is the final smells coming off the plants! There's one that smells exactly like roasted coffee beans, for instance. It's very pleasant! The one that used to smell like white cake now smells like a refined, berry-ish candy kind of smell. Another one smells kind of hashy. None of them smell like the BC Kush from the KxNL, by the way, for those keeping score.

But man, that coffee smelling one is awesome! I put my nose to the top bud and before I even began inhaling, I swear, it was immediate, it was like, specific as fuck, like goddamn this smells like dark roast coffee beans! Made me want coffee at 10 o'clock at night it smelled so good.

RicoT

That coffee smell sounds amazing and is exactly why I recently bought some of Verdant Green's pre98-bubba seeds! I'd be so happy to get a decent yielding coffee pheno like I remember smoking around here a while back!
Any guess on the genetics of your coffee smelling plant hush?

Sign

My wife would get a huge kick out of a coffee smelling weed. I smelled it once in either a Durban poison x something cross or maybe it was masterlow? in the early 2000's but it was just a phase and she grew out of it unfortunately.

Great grow I enjoyed reading along thanks