What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Building a greenhouse - considerations?

supermanlives

Veteran
solar will cost ya quite a bit. for solar fans its like 350$ per . panel ,fan. i had a few panels and fans . the panels they come with always suck . so i bought bigger ones.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Oops - I kind of brainfarted on that last post. My mental computer crashed mid-thought.

So, maybe now I oughtta explore building a frame as I'd initially planned, but perhaps just use the polycarbonate panels, or some combination of the panels and wrap. (Panels in favor of dog-proof-ness)

supermanlives

Veteran
those poly panels dont last long . my doors on those gh had them as covering . didnt last 3 seasons. the woven poly cover lasted 6. and that was in new england . here in cali or somewhere similar the might not even last that long. shit gets brittle cracks and slowly dissolves LOL

silver hawaiian

Veteran
superman - interesting on the poly panels. I'm noticing the Farmtek greenhouses have 10 year warranties. I oughtta read more about what parts that covers..

So, it just occurred to me, there's a "Growing in greenhouses" thread. Maybe that would'a been a more appropriate spot for this, for attention and traffic. Though then maybe they'd have thumbed their nose at me and been all, "Oh, growing THAT stuff..? Pssht." ;)

Anyway. In a nutshell, I want a place OUTSIDE of the house that can be a designated mess & slop place. We've got a sunroom on the second floor, but it's too dainty, all carpeted and pretty lookin'. Not a dude's place.

To boot, we picked up a bunch of stuff at the store today that's got me thinkin' "greenhouse:" got a bunch of 4" mums (88 cents a piece!), and also a bunch of bulbs for the spring.

I've been wanting some extra space to do flowers and general "raising" stuff. It really would be nice to have a nursery of sorts, some space to have stuff in-and-out of..

:shucks:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:yeahthats

We like guys like you, too. Not just 'cause you're heady, but because I'd also love to get some input from non-greenhouse folk, .. 'cause y'all will have the same reference I do - zero! :friends:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Here's what I've found for your consideration, the first 2 are permanent and cost more, the last 3 units can be very affordable and just as effective as the first 2.

gh2.jpg

gh1.jpg

You could build several of these in an afternoon. easily moved by 2 people by that long center beam. these like the one below could be moved over a gardens surface to start seedlings weeks apart. imo this one's the most versatile & clever, can be kept very low key, set it up in a sunny corner of your yard that not even your nosiest neighbor can see.

gh4.jpg

this one below could be better built from PVC & plexiglass and just one person moving it about right in the garden bed.

gh5-1.jpg

and this one can be made better when you line that back wall with white or black poly depending on your temperature (or reflective) needs, maybe in the coldest weather use a black backing.

gh6.jpg

good luck.......

Last edited:

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dude
easy easy solution.
Get a 6x10 chain link dog kennel from hd or lowes i forgot where i got mine from....
you dont have to get high tech and put the bamboo reeds on it for vision diffusion
but i like the stealthness

then put a roof on it. build a frame from some planks/boards, and attach some clear corrugated roof panels like these: http://www.lowes.com/pd_77000-1115-...t=panel&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=panel&facetInfo=

I put a weak chain link roof over mine
picture.php

Ilaid my panel roofing over the chain link part
picture.php

easy
GREAT airflow

good luck

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Supermans polytunnels are a winner.
I have built 3 now in the similar light and they rock, for strength use 40 mm high pressure PVC external plumbing piping for the frame and proper 5 or 4 layer greenhouse diffused plastic to cover and trench the plastic under earth along the sides in a foot by foot trench. You wont see through that stuff, its cheaper than you think and it will last through storms and hectic weather. You can use 25mm steel pipe sharpened into a spike or 50mm high pressure pvc pipe driven into the ground for the feet of the ribs. Make a wooden frame for the ends and just make sure there is somewhere always open at each end like a door or shadecloth above piece and convection and air pressure should do your ventilation for you. Also square lash purlins properly and the resulting structure is very strong.
Hope that helps..

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Sweet - I'll be checking it out.. :thank you:

My initial plan was to basically stick-build a frame and wrap it in poly..

Then I realized I have two [shithead] dogs, and that's probably a recipe for holes poked & torn in the poly..

So then I started thinking about building my own with polycarbonate panels, .. Which led to "fuck it, lemme just buy a pre-fab greenhouse.."

Now, I'm thinking about stick-building a sort of knee-wall (rigid/dog-proof) about 3-4' high, lumber and plywood, and then essentially putting hoops on top of that. (So, it's effectively the same idea as a stick-built deal, but with plywood near the bottom..)

Edit: Hell yes! I've spent plenty of time in that thread myself.. :D GP is da man

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Do that, just make sure the entire structure is anchored securely as not trenching the plastic in. Use the 'profile' strips with wiggle wire to secure the plastic to the sides of your dog wall :) Just screw the profiles onto your frame and attach the plastic. The 40mm pipe has c shaped fittings to fix it to walls and such and use these to attach the pipe hoops to the inside of your 2x4 or whatever you use for the frame. Use a square lashing done properly for attaching the purlins with UV stabilized thatching twine, don't cut pipe and join with 'X' and 'T' connectors as the structural strength is lost. Use foam weather stripping and also sand the sharp edges on the wood where the plastic will touch. Proper greenhouse film is strong stuff, it just does not like sharp points.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Good luck and stick some veggies and other herbs in too as well as some legumes to help with N. You'll enjoy the free fresh produce :)

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Also you can just do raised beds against the inside sides and also plant aromatic herbs and dog repellant plants on the outside along the side if you want to keep your toothy kids away from plastic sides.

N

noyd666

hi, nothings cheap anymore . chinese ballests:ying:12footx8foot tin shed ,fortified against the dreaded rippers. plastic corrugated roof ,out in the sun, hot as hell ,high humidity , hardly any water, 2 fans sometimes. 3skunks full shed. 45 to 50 oz's lollllll:dance013::blowbubbles:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Regarding the dogs also, there is a plant called Plectranthus (family) that is great as a bedding plant that keeps bugs and dogs out. Some even smell like skunks ass when you brush the leaves. The flowers smell nasty though and dogs stay away. It needs no care nor much water and is a great 'smell distractant' planted in the beds on the road side outside the property as everyone will think that is the source of the skunky odors that float about in the evening..

Then you could design what you like? Also woven UV greenhouse film offers more privacy amd is more opaque, I think, than the corrugated firm sheeting. One or two plants will disappear in a bunch of tomatoes, basil and rocket, Just get creative! :) Give the neighbors a tour when all is legit then hide one or 2 small gals. Just load them with fresh produce for the rest of the time and you are good to go with their nosiness.