What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whos getting ready for 2012 Veggie Season :-D !!!

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
i've lived there too... wasn't trying to grow anything back then however...

F

Fastcast

I was able to give away Tomatoes this year for the first time ever,it's kinda cool giving stuff away!These heirloom tom's are going for $4.00 a pound at the store right now.Now I just have to give up some of my pickles(maybe)Jerky is on my list of things to make.

dill786

i got a pack of cape goosberry seeds, anyone ever grown it before it originates form south america ?

GP73LPC

Veteran
planted more broccoli, some brussel sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, romaine lettuce, leaf lettuce and carrots today :tiphat:

picture.php

picture.php

barnyard

excellent cool weather selections GP73LPC. Your plants are spaced nicely.

et al, yea those peppers can take a while to germ..fresh seed makes a big difference but two weeks is normal.

Also pepper seedlings like to be crowded. They don't get strong seedlings unless they're grown together. So germinate in groups and don't thin until planted out two weeks after danger of last frost. Peppers like it warm.

et al, yea those peppers can take a while to germ..fresh seed makes a big difference but two weeks is normal.

Also pepper seedlings like to be crowded. They don't get strong seedlings unless they're grown together. So germinate in groups and don't thin until planted out two weeks after danger of last frost. Peppers like it warm.

Thanks for the pepper tip :-D That will surely be helpful. Now I just gotta plant 2x as many in my rows :-D

GP73LPC

Veteran

thanks man...

that's why these all went out now...

some could have waited another 2-3 weeks, but the greenhouse adds a little something so they are out and should be fine...

wanna get some snap peas out too, but i gotta finish the raised be on the other side of the greenhouse first...

Nader

Veteran
i got a pack of cape goosberry seeds, anyone ever grown it before it originates form south america ?

Yes, it's one of my favourite fruits ever. Delicious and healthy. Also smells incredible when you ferment it.

It does the best in a greenhouse and with a long growing season. The quality of the soil is all but irrelevant when growing Physalis peruviana. It grows wherever the warmth and sunlight allows it.

The seeds germinate pretty quickly. A decent fluctuation of day/night temps will help with germination. Like tomatoes, you must make sure to supply them with lots of light early on to limit stretching. But, it does have an adventitious stem so you can trench it deeply when you transplant if they do get leggy :)

The berries must turn color before they are edible-- do not eat the unripe berries or any other part of the plant as it is considered rather toxic. However, if you have a special lady in your life, the pectiny gel inside of the unripe berries makes an exquisite "fruit acid/enzymatic exfoliating face mask" and leaves the skin incredibly soft... just spread the gel on the skin, wait 5 mins, then rinse off and you'll have the softest skin ever.

The ripened fruit usually drops from the plant once they're reasdy, so it helps to hang some landscape fabric around the plants to catch the fruits as they fall. Also, DO NOT REFRIGERATE the fruit! The fruits last for 3+ months in their unopened husks at room temperature, and just like tomatoes, the flavour gets ruined when you throw em in the fridge. When you do open the husk, the berries will have a sticky coating on them-- that is totally fine (I never bother washing the sticky off before I eat) and is its defense against pests.

Also, any fruit left on the ground will make for tons of volunteer seedlings the next season.

OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN !!! I only have 2 day left to get my peppers and onions into their little indoor homes!!! Full moon the 7th.

lol cant slack at all today. :-D

Nader

Veteran
mmm snow peas.. right up there with cherry tomatoes for supreme in-garden snackability! I have oregon giant seeds and love them... any other good snow pea variety recommendations? I do prefer the mammoths :)

blackosprey

I am placing the seed order this weekend, when I can sit down and digest the ne wBaker Creek catalog. Here on the East Coast, we still have a couple months before the real gardening begins, but it's never too soon to plan...

supermanlives

Veteran
turning my front lawn to a garden. got weedblocker down . gonna get some mulch. and iwont have to mow the lawn anymore

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Good for you Superman, I was going to put in a lawn in the back yard. Instead I am expanding my veggie garden.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
we bought a bunch of potatoes starts and onion sets...and some carrot seeds! Cant wait till its gardening time again :D

Planted a cpl of tomato seeds..they should be sprouting soon, just to make sure they are good, we saved them from last years crop.

dill786

Yes, it's one of my favourite fruits ever. Delicious and healthy. Also smells incredible when you ferment it.

It does the best in a greenhouse and with a long growing season. The quality of the soil is all but irrelevant when growing Physalis peruviana. It grows wherever the warmth and sunlight allows it.

The seeds germinate pretty quickly. A decent fluctuation of day/night temps will help with germination. Like tomatoes, you must make sure to supply them with lots of light early on to limit stretching. But, it does have an adventitious stem so you can trench it deeply when you transplant if they do get leggy :)

The berries must turn color before they are edible-- do not eat the unripe berries or any other part of the plant as it is considered rather toxic. However, if you have a special lady in your life, the pectiny gel inside of the unripe berries makes an exquisite "fruit acid/enzymatic exfoliating face mask" and leaves the skin incredibly soft... just spread the gel on the skin, wait 5 mins, then rinse off and you'll have the softest skin ever.

The ripened fruit usually drops from the plant once they're reasdy, so it helps to hang some landscape fabric around the plants to catch the fruits as they fall. Also, DO NOT REFRIGERATE the fruit! The fruits last for 3+ months in their unopened husks at room temperature, and just like tomatoes, the flavour gets ruined when you throw em in the fridge. When you do open the husk, the berries will have a sticky coating on them-- that is totally fine (I never bother washing the sticky off before I eat) and is its defense against pests.

Also, any fruit left on the ground will make for tons of volunteer seedlings the next season.

thanks for the great advice comrade, the strain i am growing is the edulis ( dwarf variety) i live in UK and dont have a greenhouse but will grow anyway just to see how it will grow :)

Nader

Veteran
fuck.... couldn't help myself, got more seeds to add to my crazy list:

- Tiger Melon (mini)
- Minnesota Midget (that's a discriminatory term) Melon
- Queen Anne's Pocket Melon (grown for its intense fragrance, not the bland taste)
- Asparagus bean (Lotus tetragonolobus)
- Winged bean (Psophocarpus tetragonolobus)
- Yamato Sanjaku (a.k.a., Japanese sushi cucumber)
- Jilo, or Brazilian Orange Eggplant
- "Casper" Eggplant (pure white)
- Cherry Belle (super-sweet mini red bell peppers)
- Nativo Chile (an ancient variety of chili pepper that is concerned a sacred tradition)
- Poona Kheera, super sweet, rare cucumber from thailand
- Rainbow Eucalyptus (Eucalytus deglupta) -- check out the rainbow coloured trunks on this one!

Oh boy,

Where I live its winter now, just start, finally snow is "staying" on the ground and not melting away, we are 1 month behind past annual patterns, odd weather indeed.

BUT nonetheless... tis the season I start planning my upcoming
vegetable garden. For the past few years I have been planting
upward to 40 different varieties, ill list what I can remember, I usually forget a few and they will just pop up later in my head :-D

Every year though, when I add a new species of crops to my garden
I'll continue to grow that species for years to come whether the original I started with or a more stable variety for my climate or conditions.

Some I use now are...

Tomatoes
-Brandywines(better then beefsteak)
-Early Girl
-Roma
-Yellow
-Cherry Tomatoes both yellow/red
-Black Krim
-Better Boy

Peppers
-All color Bells
-banana
-baby sweets
-habanero
-serrano
-jalapeno
-cayenne
(All the hot peppers are grown on opposite
side of garden then the sweet peppers)

Legumes
-Peas
-Pole Beans

Hardy Broad Leaf Family
-Cabbage
-Broccoli
-Cauliflower
-Collards
-Brussel Sprouts

Salad Greens
-Romaine Lettuce
-Iceburg Head lettuce
-Spinach

Root Crops
-Beets
-Carrots
-Turnips
-Potatoes
-Purple Haze
-Yukon Butter
-Onions
-Garlic

Squash Family
-Zucchini
-Butternut(Winter squash)
-Cantaloupe
-Watermelon
-Pumpkin
-Honey Dew

Berries and Fruit
-Apple
-Peaches
-Pears
-Cherries
-Blueberries
-Strawberries

Herbs
-Calantro
-Basil
-Parsley
-Rosemary
-Thyme
-Dill

Randoms that i cant think of where they go lol
-Sunflowers
-Celery
-Cucumber
-Picklers
-12" slicing

OK Ok.. finally Im at a halt.. lol I know there
are many more but I just cant remember them
all, all the time ;-) But like I said they will come
to me as I go through the day, shit I could just cheat
and pull out my seed bank but no fun in that ;-)

Cheers my friends,
I hope all you gardeners are ready for the new season :-D
"could be last season before end of the world" hahahhaah

Don't mean to be a stickler, oh hell yeah I do but I apologize, once I get rid of the nasty grumbug in me we are off to better topics! :D
ok first, what varieties are you growing? after tomatoes and some peppers you just listed categories, ie there are many kinds of iceberg lettuce. second, for crop rotation purposes, all groups should be kept together with one another and seperate from others. ie all peepers are solanaceous, and potatoes are in this group and not in the root group. turnips are crucifers and in the broccoli/cabbage family. Purple Haze the carrot I take it? Ok
berries and fruit? I guess I might be trying strawberries, blueberries like it quite acidic so account for that, and fruit trees I wish I had those, well I do but they are dead or dying and there are some old apple trees from well before I was born growing on the hillside but God knows what kind they are or if they are just mongrel junk! Also grapes growing wild, sour as hell concords I think. I want to grow culinary herbs too but not sure which. Sunflower and celery (and you didn't mention it but okra), not sure where that goes, but cucumbers are curcurbits, the squash family. Yes the climate is changing, for most gardeners warming is a good thing but I will not rejoice as it brings greater harm than good. I will grow what I can grow though and enjoy it. Here the winter has been thouroughly nonexistent, little short bouts of cold or mostly just cool conditions followed by longer periods of way above normal, every storm almost is rain, ugh it is disgusting! Where are you roughly, that you still have some semblance of a winter? Forgive me as I did not read anything but the first post. I grow a little of everything, will list it out later if anyone's interested. Damn some things I have to get going on, fell a little behind here in spite of early spring fever! The birds are going crazy heavily in bond forming/establishing territory/telling off their rivals mode now, early breeding it looks like! ;) :D Happy gardening everyone!

Latest posts

Latest posts