What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whos getting ready for 2012 Veggie Season :-D !!!

Midnight

Veteran
For all of you that use heirloom seeds and want non gmo stuff I highly recommend Baker Creek Seeds, they have stuff you cannot find anywhere else. I am particularly fond of their Bidwell Casaba melon, best damn melon there is imho!

http://rareseeds.com/shop

Getting ready for the veggie garden myself! Just got a 208cc tiller, doing 80+ varieties of plants.
Eww.. that sounds like a GIANT tiller lol. I use only a mantis for my 20,000 sq foot garden and its a dream, really excited
after this season of gardening, for I will have completely
eliminated "TILLING" of my soil forever

Plant garlic NOW,, they like the cold !

Ya, for proper garlic, it needs to freeze and experience WINTER time. I had mine planted last season toward end of November.

For all of you that use heirloom seeds and want non gmo stuff I highly recommend Baker Creek Seeds, they have stuff you cannot find anywhere else. I am particularly fond of their Bidwell Casaba melon, best damn melon there is imho!

http://rareseeds.com/shop

Thanks for the link my friend, ill have to check them out.
Im always looking for good reliable seed providers.
Wont matter soon though once I get into gene reading
and buy my microscope ill be able to see if a seed
has been modified, so then I KNOW FOR SURE... you cant
take anyone for their word now a days.. its hard at least to.

:-D Cheers everyone. Busy busy times.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
here's my lineup for 2012... most of this is going into my DIY Solar Cooled Greenhouse and watered by by Rain Water Collection System. Both links in my sig...

I also got a little something always going indoors under LED. link is also in my sig...

Peppers
Hot Banana
Purple Jalapenos
Lilac Hybrid
Sweet Pickle
Bolivian Rainbow
Roumanian Rainbow
Sante Fe Grande
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Largo Purple
Bell Peppers
Jalapeno
Habanero
New Mexico Chiles

Tomato's
Celebrity
Early Girl
Azoychka
Super Sweet 100 Hybrid

Veggies
Carrots
Lettuce
Sweet Potatoes
Potatoes
Squash
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Corn
Cucumbers
Onions
Garlic
Okra
Peas
Spinach
Broccoli
Bush Beans

Fruit
Cantaloupe
Pumpkin
Watermelon
Strawberries

picture.php

picture.php

IMG_04735.jpg

picture.php

hunt4genetics

Veteran
I intend to go huge.

1818.5LB

I will break the 2000LB barrier for Pumpkins!

When I break the record, i'll have to get a new handle.

Midnight

Veteran
I intend to go huge.

1818.5LB

I will break the 2000LB barrier for Pumpkins!

When I break the record, i'll have to get a new handle.

Those things are easy to grow, but very hard to get a really big one. I have some seeds that came from a reverse cross of a world record (Gibson 1462), I've grown them twice, biggest one I ever got was 335#.

F

Fastcast

Just finishing up the Black Krim(in pots outdoors)and I started some more Black Krim,about a week ago(indoors)then they go outside.I love just sliced up with a little salt and pepper.Gotta grow some more Bell peppers.Homegrown
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Don't ever plant garlic or any bulb during a waxing moon!!! Waste of time.

VERY NICE reminder Nader :-D

Here is a link for anyone that might wanna get a little MORE in depth with their gardening hobby or passion :-D

http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/moonplanting.htm

Its a nice brief little web page that gives a nice overview
on gardening in reference to the moon phases.

I highly recommend to anyone that has a gardening hobby to
learn by this and plan your gardening around the phases of the moon, it has a very LARGE impact on this planets energy and the energy of everything living on it :-D

GP73LPC

Veteran
last night i picked up my okra and pumpkin seeds.... got some garlic and sweet potatoes too...

thanks for the moon phase garlice tip :tiphat:

will be getting some local corn seeds soon from a friend.

that will be everything that was on my list...

then last night i saw aspargus sprouts. thinking about adding those to my garden. anyone ever grow aspargus? is it a difficult plant to grow?

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
no not really,,, its very good for you as well,,

warm and covered in butter there is nothing nicer,,

sprouts as in sprouting or as in proper asparagus ?

GP73LPC

Veteran
it was more like roots... i didn't pay enough attention...

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
they sell asparagus crowns, I think it saves you a year instead of starting from seed

I started some asparagus from seed last year. I think it will be another year before I get any real spears, but once it gets established it is easy. aspargus with white sauce yum

I am so pumped for this summer. still picking out seeds, overwhelmed with choice. need to dig another garden or 2

last night i picked up my okra and pumpkin seeds.... got some garlic and sweet potatoes too...

thanks for the moon phase garlice tip :tiphat:

will be getting some local corn seeds soon from a friend.

that will be everything that was on my list...

then last night i saw asparagus sprouts. thinking about adding those to my garden. anyone ever grow asparagus? is it a difficult plant to grow?

Hello friend :-D Your welcome, but most thanks goes to Nadar for catching that, I have only just recently adapted FULL TRUE moon phase gardening and boy what a difference, its amazing that you can visually notice a difference from growth patterns.

asparagus, hehe corrected your spelling above, is VERY simple to grow. Let me shed a little of my experience with it.

Aspar-a-gus LOVE sandy soil, this is a most. When I made my new asparagus bed this past fall I added about 40:60 ratio of
sand:compost. Planted them, then mulched a layer of about 4inches thick of shredded leaves. The soil they like CAN NOT COMPACT...you have to be able to so effortlessly slide your fingers through the soil even after months of the rain and drying, settling pattern. The kind of roots asparagus has isnt like most crops, they have more so CORD roots rather then more fine hair like roots. These cord roots grow VERY slow, and the size of these roots will determine the size of your Asparagus.

It is easier to buy the "CROWNS" as they are called, which are usually just asparagus dug up and separated into smaller sections making sure each has a "CROWN" portion and some roots from it. If you plant crowns you can expect to be able to pick SOME of the fruit the following year, i mean SOME as in a little as possible, your 2nd and following years will be much greater and youll learn their pattern real quick if you grow them for more then 3-4 years. I just separated a 3 year old patch this past fall, started with 10 crowns, pulled out MONSTERS and was able to make 30 crowns total.

The asparagus will start to sprout once they feel it start to warm up, I have never seen them come up before the snow was completely gone. Once the snow is gone for about a week or 2 they pop up fast. and GROW VERY FAST if you dont watch out.

YOu want to pick them small and tender, they grow into monstrous hard twiggy stalks of what look like DILL, will mature with little seed balls that start green and usually turn red, orange and sometimes black if bad i think..

If you start from seed.. whoa lol your most def going to be waiting 3 years before you can REALLY start harvesting asparagus and not just nibbling on a few that you decide are
just to good to let grow out lol

I say everyone should grow some asparagus, the vitamins it has are astounding, but shit, its not like that cant be said for every organic veggie or fruit out there ;-)

GP73LPC

Veteran
they sell asparagus crowns, I think it saves you a year instead of starting from seed

I started some asparagus from seed last year. I think it will be another year before I get any real spears, but once it gets established it is easy. aspargus with white sauce yum

I am so pumped for this summer. still picking out seeds, overwhelmed with choice. need to dig another garden or 2

Hello friend :-D Your welcome, but most thanks goes to Nadar for catching that, I have only just recently adapted FULL TRUE moon phase gardening and boy what a difference, its amazing that you can visually notice a difference from growth patterns.

asparagus, hehe corrected your spelling above, is VERY simple to grow. Let me shed a little of my experience with it.

Aspar-a-gus LOVE sandy soil, this is a most. When I made my new asparagus bed this past fall I added about 40:60 ratio of
sand:compost. Planted them, then mulched a layer of about 4inches thick of shredded leaves. The soil they like CAN NOT COMPACT...you have to be able to so effortlessly slide your fingers through the soil even after months of the rain and drying, settling pattern. The kind of roots asparagus has isnt like most crops, they have more so CORD roots rather then more fine hair like roots. These cord roots grow VERY slow, and the size of these roots will determine the size of your Asparagus.

It is easier to buy the "CROWNS" as they are called, which are usually just asparagus dug up and separated into smaller sections making sure each has a "CROWN" portion and some roots from it. If you plant crowns you can expect to be able to pick SOME of the fruit the following year, i mean SOME as in a little as possible, your 2nd and following years will be much greater and youll learn their pattern real quick if you grow them for more then 3-4 years. I just separated a 3 year old patch this past fall, started with 10 crowns, pulled out MONSTERS and was able to make 30 crowns total.

The asparagus will start to sprout once they feel it start to warm up, I have never seen them come up before the snow was completely gone. Once the snow is gone for about a week or 2 they pop up fast. and GROW VERY FAST if you dont watch out.

YOu want to pick them small and tender, they grow into monstrous hard twiggy stalks of what look like DILL, will mature with little seed balls that start green and usually turn red, orange and sometimes black if bad i think..

If you start from seed.. whoa lol your most def going to be waiting 3 years before you can REALLY start harvesting asparagus and not just nibbling on a few that you decide are
just to good to let grow out lol

I say everyone should grow some asparagus, the vitamins it has are astounding, but shit, its not like that cant be said for every organic veggie or fruit out there ;-)

thanks you guys :tiphat:

crowns is the correct terminology... i am certain that's what i saw now...

i'm gonna go back and grab some and prepare an area especially for asparagus :thank you:

supermanlives

Veteran
tomatos and peppers are slowly sarting to grow again. the ones in containers will be root pruned and cloned. outside plants still slowly flowering. gonna prune em back soon as they are lanky. snow peas just sarted flowerin. i can wait i love me . even right off the plant. so sweet and crunchy. they are also great quick stir fried with a drop of sesame oil and soy sauce mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

supermanlives

Veteran
mound up the soil as the plant grows around the stem too. less light hitting the stem = way more tender^^^^^^^^^