What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HID Bhut Jolokia growlog ...

theherbalizor

Veteran
I just found this thread. Excellent.

I have a small chilli farm in UK. We have over 65 varieties.

And I can tell you for sure that the reason your plants have stunted is down to the topping. They hate it, esp bhuts, nagas etc. I experimented this year with a load of Black Naga clones and topped some, left others alone. The topped ones produced way way smaller plants and smaller and fewer fruits.

Anyway, tagged for sure.

OZZ_

Veteran
I can tell this is the reason for sure .... Ive grown bhuts before and by now these suckers should be a good 2' at least. Pretty bummed about it but not much I can do now. Live and learn. All I can try to do is get as much growth from them as I can. I just mixed up an N concoction about a cup and a half of old rabbit poo, 3 tablespoons of coffee grounds, 2 tablespoons of alfalfa pellets and watered it down with fresh brewed coffee. Mashed down the whole mess into a ground mush and top dressed each 3 gallon pot with three heaping tablespoons. Maybe I can push vegetative growth in them and try to make the most of it. <--- Other then a few coffee waterings, thats the first nutrient addition they have had since transplant. Up until this treatment they have been just going on the soil ammendments I added when I mixed the soil mix.

So, herbalizer .... what do you think the damage is going to be. Im going to let them go either way, to much work to just yank them, however do you think its going to be really dissappointing? If you had to take a guess what kind of yield do you think I might get off these nine plants, being topped and all (yes I realize thats a really hard thing to guess - but if you were to guess??)

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Wow... I top most of my peppers.... sorry these aren't liking it.

I thought they were underfed... I guess I learned something today.

:badday:

OZZ_

Veteran
No worries mustard, you know... even if I only get 10 peppers per plant thats still 90 bhut jolokias ... and Im still not convinced I cant do better then that even with the topping.

Plus, I know next time not to top. Hell, that tent is 78" inches for crying out loud, even if you take 2' off of that for the light and 12" canopy distance that still gives me like 4.5' of plant height before things get sticky. In 3 gallon containers I doubt they'll get much taller. Next time .... NO TOPPING!!

Learning and continuing on.

For now ... the show continues!! Ill still get to burn my face off folks... dont you worry lol.:jump:

OZZ_

Veteran
Whats up guys! All is well, they have been flowering up a storm, but I dont see any fruit set as of yet. The leaves have been pretty yellow for some time now, a good month. After top dressing with two tablespoons each of tomato tone and a very strong watering of neptunes fish seaweed the yellowing remains. Pretty weird, usually they green right up after a watering like that. I put four tablespoons of the fish seaweed 2-3-1 and one tablespoon of alaskan fish emulsion in one gallon of water... then spread that through to all nine plants. I wonder if its the pine bark I put in the soil mix, Ive read that it locks up nitrogen, thats why I added the fish emulsion in there to up the N. After a top dressing with tomato tone on the last watering, and the next watering being that potent mix of fish seaweed and fish emulsion... they should have gotten green I would say.

Either way here they are, a few of the flowers look like they are trying to set fruit ... but I dont actually see any forming as of yet. Then again, Ive been pretty busy and havent looked all that closely there may be some forming in there somewhere.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2325.JPG
    IMG_2325.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2324.JPG
    IMG_2324.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2323.JPG
    IMG_2323.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2322.JPG
    IMG_2322.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 12

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
would be a breat ideea to shake them a little to help them pollinate.
didn't tried it on bhut yet, but works like a charm on other peppers.

good luck bro.

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
composted barks should be fine, its when the wood gets degraded when the robbin of N occurs by the microorganisms that use the N in order to decompose the wood
but that yellowin is curious....seems like that feeding should help them, guess you will just have to wait and see
are you watering with straight tap or what?

OZZ_

Veteran
I let the water air out plenty before using it, often times a good week ....but it does come from the tap... yes.

OZZ_

Veteran
As far as the pollination goes I do have an oscillating fan in there that's blowing the plants around so That should ne sufficient I would think. Thanks for the input guys!!

OZZ_

Veteran
Wait, so I take that back .... after looking in there today a bit closer I find this hiding in the canopy. Where theres one ... there will be others ;)

:dance013::dance013:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 15

OZZ_

Veteran
I watered again the other day with the neptune's fish/seaweed. I think Im going to continue to water with that throughout the grow. It seems to do them well. Ive noticed four or five more pods starting to form here and there so hopefully soon they will start blowing up.

Vape it!

Apologies for jacking this thread.
Anyone know the optimal temps to grow Bhuts?
I've got three plants under 2 X 600w HPS.
2 X flood and drain, 1 in DWC

Plants are healthy and covered in flowers HOWEVER
the flowers seldom drop any pollen.
NPK- 2-5-6
Temps 16 - 24 celcius

help ?

:thank you:

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
maybe too much N or too much heat... what are yours at?

looking great _ozz!!

mine are growing slow as fuck and were having a hard time dropping the seed pod. did you notice this with your seeds?

just potted mine into 1 gal rootmaker pots and ive got about 7 more that arent ready yet

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts