What's new

Educate me on growing tangerine trees in containers

M

m00nchild

What variety of tangerine should I be looking at to grow in a container? I'm guessing a dwarf variety? Are there any "heirloom" dwarf varieties? For zones 9-10?

Thanks for any help! :)

yes there are many types of tangerines and i am currently growing a cross of an mandarin orange withe a tangerine.. visit ur local home depot or nursery and there will be various cultivars of dwarf and even otehr tangerine that will do well in a 5 or 15 gal pot..

one Q

Quality
Veteran
better than home DPt, find some nursery. Someone that can actualy help you pick the right plants.

A good friend of mine, also in Z9/10 goes out to a few spots and gets great fruit trees of all types for reasonable prices. Ill try to get a name of the place(s) for you.

bodymind

Veteran
i live in a climate where we can grow citrus outdoors, and i have many trees of my own... tangerines and mandarins in general can all be grown successfully in containers. a few point to consider if you are truly planning on getting any fruit are:

- give it enough sun. a softly lit window may be enough to maintain growth, but you will need plenty of bright light to flower and ripen fruit.

- use a large container. the larger the better.

- give it plenty of nitrogen at the end of flower and into fruit setting. baby them during this period because if they get stressed they'll drop fruit.

- think about getting plants on flying dragon trifoliate orange rootstock. they will be more cold hardy and stay smaller.

i hope this helps. also, think about satsuma mandarins and kumquats....