Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Hollow Stems?

Thread Title Search
Hollow Stems? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2017, 01:09 PM #1
Dakine

Location: Some where out there...in the middle of no where...
Dakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of light
Hollow Stems?

Hey you guys, I had A question about stems. I've been seeing alot of debates about whether or not hollow stems are good or bad.

Many people seem to think that hollow stems are actually a sign of A perfect healthy plant. Also that A hollow stem is better for the plant to be able to pass water and nutrients throughout its self known as Capillary Action?

Others seem to think hollow stems and/or red stems are due to deficiencies such as calcium and/or boron?

I've noticed that my healthiest looking plants seem to have thick pithy stems. When I supercrop or cut branches off for clones, the stems are filled and juicy. Also when I bend branches down,they'll fight it and want to bend back up and grow straight up.

I recently just had A nute deficient girl that was rootbound in A 1-Gallon Smart Pot for about 2 months. She stretched majorly and her branches where very hollow. I could bend the branches super easily and didnt even have to tie them down..

So I think some of the hollow stems might be due to genetics.. But IMHO I would think alot of it is due to nutrients. What do you guys think about having hollow stems?

TnT Labs Semi Auto Strain Test Grow-On Going

TnT Lab Genetics Grow Diary Test Grow-On Going

Afgooey

SuperSilverHaze

Ssh x TrainWreck
Dakine is offline Quote

Old 03-19-2017, 01:35 PM #2
ganjygav
Cannalise Legabis

ganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud of
Never thought much on it. I've noticed some strains are Woody and some are hollow. My blueberries I have going now are hollow but my plants are healthy. The M.O.B I'm growing along side the blueberry have solid stems. I just thought it was strain dependent.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM #3
Dakine

Dakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of lightDakine is a glorious beacon of light
Alright. So are hollow stems just present in mature/older plants? So Pit or Pithy stems is Cytoplasm, which conducts water and dissolved minerals when the plant is young. The xylem and phloem are basically the important parts for vpd to transfer and direct to and from the stomata from roots. They are located on the innerwalls but outer part in the stem.

But I still dont understand why A plant will have hollow stems. Then give it calcium,silica, and all that good stuff and you dont have hollow stems anymore?

Afgooey

SuperSilverHaze

Ssh x TrainWreck
Dakine is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:50 PM #4
seeded

seeded is a name known to allseeded is a name known to allseeded is a name known to allseeded is a name known to allseeded is a name known to allseeded is a name known to allseeded is a name known to allseeded is a name known to allseeded is a name known to allseeded is a name known to allseeded is a name known to all
I'm pretty sure people think hollow stems are ideal because the plant isn't acting like hemp and growing fibrous stems which they assume to mean it's instead growing like cannabis. Personally though I've seen nothing to suggest it's anything other than a genetic trait that leads to floppy colas on top heavy plants so it's not something I look for in my girls.
seeded is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 01:40 AM #5
DemonTrich

DemonTrich has disabled reputation
Don't think I've seen a hollow stem yet in 4+yrs and over 18 strains.

All 100% healthy top shelf strains
DemonTrich is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 AM #6
Jhhnn
Banned

Jhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjygav View Post
Never thought much on it. I've noticed some strains are Woody and some are hollow. My blueberries I have going now are hollow but my plants are healthy. The M.O.B I'm growing along side the blueberry have solid stems. I just thought it was strain dependent.
That's my take on it as well, that it's strain dependent. My latest batch, Rio Negro Colombian, had hollow stems-

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php...tureid=1694835
Jhhnn is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 04:10 AM #7
Loc Dog

Loc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud of
I grew GG4 in coco for 2 years with solid stems. Went to hydro, and have completely hollow stems. Have been adding cal/mag and silica. When I cut them down in 20 days will report back here. GG4 is clone only, so genetically identical, and not a phenotype issue.
Loc Dog is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 04:20 AM #8
Dakine

From personal experience, I didn't think hollow stems was A good sign though. I only got it when neglecting plants. But if the internet is correct(lol) mature plants end up having hollow stems, and the younger plants have full stems with the pit/pithy inside..

But if you think about certain things, I don't see how anyone would actually think hollow stems is A good thing. A lot of people are saying it's good and that their vpd is on point according to "other growers". Some don't even know what A stomata is or does but are certain that I'm wrong about it being bad if it's not genetics...

EDIT- For example, what stems are usually the easiest or hardest to Clone?

Afgooey

SuperSilverHaze

Ssh x TrainWreck
Dakine is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:25 AM #9
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes I get both hollow and solid stems in one grow.

Not sure if there a big difference though.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:49 AM #10
Loc Dog

Loc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud of
Solid stems are much easier to clone. Hollow ones have problems with capillary action (I am assuming) and turn to mush.

I just threw out a bunch of GG4 in RDWC that had hollow stems, 3 weeks into flower, because I neglected them, doing too many things at once. Noticed that the hollow stem plants did not respond well to supercropping. Most that were bent, never grew upwards. The branches that were not bent grew crazy tall, like GG4 is known to do in first 3 weeks of flower.

I should have moved that batch to RDWC sooner, and let veg a couple of weeks, to develop massive root system. Some were on the weak side, for RDWC.
Loc Dog is offline Quote