What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tony's silver thiosulfate notes

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've tried the forum recipe in the past a few times and diluted it and it never worked for me properly. So this time I used the Sigma recipe and had 4 clones of a selected GMO x Dessert Breath cut and sprayed once per day on days:

-5, 1, 5 Clone A
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Clone B
1, 7, 14 Clone C
7, 14, 21, Clone D

Today is Day 40 of flower and I killed Clone A, B, C. They all produced pollen and are still dropping but Clone A produced more and produced earlier. It was still throwing new balls today when I cut it down. It reminded me of a true male.

Clone D is still alive because I want to see what happens. I wont use it on the females as it has only just started to drop pollen. Clone D was the only one that showed some female flowers but after the Day 21 spray it reversed fully. All the rest never showed any female flowers with pistils at all just male. I am going to do the same tests on a bunch of different strains next to see how different cultivars react.

Here are some pics from today of the pollen donor clones and the target plants fully seeded.

View attachment 18125596
View attachment 18125595 View attachment 18125598 View attachment 18125597 View attachment 18125600 View attachment 18125601

What MM was the spray you used bud?

Rurumo

Im gonna try farmer joes protocol on my sour project coming up, hopefully
I get the dust blowing! Thanks to everyone who is contributing. I feel like we are getting somewhere besides the random stories.
Did you ever try the 3 mM spray on the 5/5/5 day dosing schedule Tony? I'm trying it now.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Tonygreen can you post the recipe for your 3mM spray? How much different is this from the normal recipe used? The 3mM spray is something new to me.

3mM= Silver Nitrate in grams? ...Sodium Anhydrous in grams?... How much RO for ea?

Typical recipe= .5G Silver..... 2.8g Anhydrous ... 500mls RO for ea.

I've found using the same recipe doesn't always work. Some have no prob while others will(same genetics).. I've not found the cause yet.. Some are testing the impact LED has on reversing plants. Doing side by side tests using the same recipe but under LED vs HPS vs CMH.. So far LED has the most failures getting plants to reverse. . I've been using 7:1 for many years with great success but there are some that have only reversed partially or produce little pollen. Consistency is a problem.

Last edited:

Rurumo

@Tonygreen can you post the recipe for your 3mM spray? How much different is this from the normal recipe used? The 3mM spray is something new to me.

3mM= Silver Nitrate in grams? ...Sodium Anhydrous in grams?... How much RO for ea?

Typical recipe= .5G Silver..... 2.8g Anhydrous ... 500mls RO for ea.

I've found using the same recipe doesn't always work. Some have no prob while others will(same genetics).. I've not found the cause yet.. Some are testing the impact LED has on reversing plants. Doing side by side tests using the same recipe but under LED vs HPS vs CMH.. So far LED has the most failures getting plants to reverse. . I've been using 7:1 for many years with great success but there are some that have only reversed partially or produce little pollen. Consistency is a problem.
Based on how I read this thread, Tony was going to try the Sigma formula (recipe in first post) at 3 mM and spray at 5 days before 12/12, at 12/12 flip, and 5 days after. I just sprayed a plant at this concentration with the SIgma formula so I'll fill you guys in on what happens.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Based on how I read this thread, Tony was going to try the Sigma formula (recipe in first post) at 3 mM and spray at 5 days before 12/12, at 12/12 flip, and 5 days after. I just sprayed a plant at this concentration with the SIgma formula so I'll fill you guys in on what happens.

Yep, I couldn't find how much of ea was used to make 3mM... There's a lot of numbers in the 1st post. Just to clarify.. Fill in below. Measuring such small amounts is not very accurate with the scales we use. I have a good scale but it struggles with anything below .5g. I don't make small amounts of STS due to the accuracy limits of my scale.. I can't weigh 0.1-0.4 with any accuracy. So I make 1000mls of stock STS.

I read this?
Sodium=1.58 g into 100ml RO?
Silver= 1.7 g of Silver 100ml RO? This is a lot of silver for 100mls.
Mix Silver into Sodium for a total of 200mls stock, Dilute to 1:4?

The standard Recipe is easy to make
.5g Silver 500mls RO
2.5g Sodium A OR 3.9G P 500mls RO
Mix Silver into Sodium for a total of 1000mls STS stock solution.. Dilute making the ratio to your liking.

For 1000mls 3mM?
Silver grams ?
Sodium grams ?
RO for ea MLS?

Last edited:

Rurumo

Yep, I couldn't find how much of ea was used to make 3mM... There's a lot of numbers in the 1st post. Just to clarify.. Fill in below. Measuring such small amounts is not very accurate with the scales we use. I have a good scale but it struggles with anything below .5g. I don't make small amounts of STS due to the accuracy limits of my scale.. I can't weigh 0.1-0.4 with any accuracy. So I make 1000mls of stock STS.

I read this?
Sodium=1.58 g into 100ml RO?
Silver= 1.7 g of Silver 100ml RO? This is a lot of silver for 100mls.
Mix Silver into Sodium for a total of 200mls stock, Dilute to 1:4?

The standard Recipe is easy to make
.5g Silver 500mls RO
2.5g Sodium A OR 3.9G P 500mls RO
Mix Silver into Sodium for a total of 1000mls STS stock solution.. Dilute making the ratio to your liking.

For 1000mls 3mM?
Silver grams ?
Sodium grams ?
RO for ea MLS?
I see, I misunderstood, sorry about that. I bought a scale just for this sort of thing, I tried it with my standard bud scale and it wasn't happening.

Cloneman

Veteran
@Hammerhead
I worked out the Sigma as this

I adjusted the rates for less silver stock as its going to be cut 1 to 4 anyway, so its
Silver > 1.02 gm to 60 ml water (or 1.7 gm to 100 ml water if you want more)
Sodium penta > 6 gm to 240 ml water (or 10 gm to 400 ml if you want more)

With the lower rates I can mix up each 3 sprays fresh with no waste

So its 20 ml Silver mixed slowly in to 80 ml Sodium while stirring vigorously

Then mix that 100ml with 557ml water for the diluted spray for 3mM

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's an odd recipe. I was curious if there was any benefit to not using the standard recipe. I was gonna test a 1000ml 3mM batch. When I spray I use a full 800ml bottle on a 4' plant so I need a lot. Using the standard recipe not all plants will be so easy to reverse. It's not consistent from plant to plant. It does work most of the time.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The “forum” or standard recipe is too weak to make 3mM.

The sigma recipe is 20mM stock off the top of my head I think. Still driving home from the cup. Don’t have my notebooks.

Forum recipe is 2.5mM stock!

With 4 pieces of cheese you can only make 4 sandwiches no matter how much bread you have. Cheese is silver bread is sodium thiosulfate.

You need to use sigma recipe if you want to try higher than 2.5mM

Sigma…

Prepare a 0.1 M Sodium Thiosulfate (STS) stock solution by dissolving 1.58 g of Sodium Thiosulfate anhydrous or 2.48 g sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate(x1.56) into 100 ml of water.

Prepare a 0.1 M Silver Nitrate stock solution by dissolving 1.7 g of Silver Nitrate into 100 ml of water. Store the stock solution in the dark until needed to prepare the STS.

The STS solution is prepared with a molar ratio between silver and thiosulfate of 1:4, respectively. Nearly all of the silver present in the solution is in the form of [Ag (S2O3)2]3-, the active complex for ethylene effect inhibition.

Prepare a 0.02 M STS by slowly pouring 20 ml of 0.1 M silver nitrate stock solution into 80 ml of 0.1 M sodium thiosulfate stock solution while stirring vigorously.The STS can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month. However, preparation of the STS just prior to use.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the info but ill stick with the standard recipe using 1:7. it can be made a lot stronger with less dilution. It will damage plants the stronger it gets.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
E48BEC37-B745-4A31-B7CA-F9F91CB76FE8.jpeg

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That’s 3mM at 5,10,15. Girls went in day 21 when I saw a ball forming. They’re at 14 now. Hopefully good timing and a ball of dust! So he’s at 35 days

Sour Diesel Bx3 x reversedGorilla Bubble Bx5 Dometop pheno; reversed!

Rurumo

That’s 3mM at 5,10,15. Girls went in day 21 when I saw a ball forming. They’re at 14 now. Hopefully good timing and a ball of dust! So he’s at 35 days

Sour Diesel Bx3 x reversedGorilla Bubble Bx5 Dometop pheno; reversed!
that's day 5, 10, and 15 post 12/12? Did you ever do Farmer Joe's schedule at 5 days before 12/12, on 12/12 flip, then 5 days after? I'll try your dosing schedule next time, you've gotten a great response from that plant, which sounds like a killer cross too.

Liltree

Im gonna try farmer joes protocol on my sour project coming up, hopefully
I get the dust blowing! Thanks to everyone who is contributing. I feel like we are getting somewhere besides the random stories.
Do you find sours difficult to reverse? I reversed a Sour hybrid no worries but I've heard that certain cuts are very stubborn