What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

wick growing

phunkeeboodah

one more

Attachments

• balcony5.jpg
    balcony5.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 41

phunkeeboodah

i cloned the balcony plants to find a replacement for the mother and unlike the indoor clones many did not take. looked ok for a few weeks then just wilted and the stem smelled moldy which has never happened before with this cloning method. luckily one took so next year when i do it again will take softer shoots maybe

update on the flowers: the buds are smelling like skunk and the resin is smelling like bubblegum. no idea if these will be any good but hoping for the best

Nannymouse

okay, i admit, i belong to overwaterers annonymouse. I occasionally have put paper towels in the bottoms of pots to keep the dirt in. Sometimes, i put a large piece of paper towel in a small pot, so there are the edges of the paper towel sticking up out of the dirt. I'm thinking that the towels are wicking excess water out of the soil and the edges that are out of the dirt are letting the excess evaporate faster. Could this be true?

Amynamous

okay, i admit, i belong to overwaterers annonymouse. I occasionally have put paper towels in the bottoms of pots to keep the dirt in. Sometimes, i put a large piece of paper towel in a small pot, so there are the edges of the paper towel sticking up out of the dirt. I'm thinking that the towels are wicking excess water out of the soil and the edges that are out of the dirt are letting the excess evaporate faster. Could this be true?

Yes. You are increasing the surface area, thus increasing the amount of evaporation that is occurring.

Nannymouse

So, i guess that the wicking up the sides and out the top helps keep the mix more even in moisture, rather than 'pooling' and stanking on the bottom of the container. There are drain holes, but i think this helps. It does seem to help at up-potting time, in just getting the rootballs out. Dang perlite is getting more difficult to find in the huge bags that i used to find that were cheaper than the little bags.

thanks!

phunkeeboodah

maybe will have to update the wicking pots to include some type of top watering if outdoors i can't dial in the wicks at the bottom enough to keep the soil moist enough so the tops stay wet. either drip system or even trying draping wicking material over the tops and into the trays

these plants are about two weeks from harvest and now at 4 months since the seedlings were first put out. also realized that picture of the top dressing root growth was not because of the top dressing but rather part of the stretch phase. there seems to be a bit of a second wave now again the last few weeks but very mild

so next year will buy taller pots and leave room, then at first pistils of flower apply all fertilizer/top dressing for the rest of flower at once and watch the roots populate the soil and be all set for the rest of flower. if this second minor root growth turns out o be true maybe can plan one more smaller top dress right before it happens

here is my reddit post with more description and video:

https://www.reddit.com/r/canadagrows/comments/iven80/twoish_weeks_until_harvest/

phunkeeboodah

also realized the second wave of root growth followed what i read online referred to as the mid flower fade where there was yellowing in some leaves about a week ago but has now stopped

so two simple cues of when to fertilize for flower and with the top dress mulch seal method a guaranteed section of fresh soil and fertilizer for the roots to grow into which can be seen in real time within two weeks