What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2x 600w in 5x5

Just wondering on people's opinions of this as opposed to 4x4? I'm looking at going ways in a kit with a mate, and he can have my tent and I'll take the 5x5 and extra 600 hps. Will 2x600w hps lights penetrate enough to justify making the change?

Also have a 315w cmh I was going to run in conjunction with just one 600 hps, would it be worthwhile to hang in the middle between the two 600's?

Fan is 240cfm on high setting. Has mid and low. I don't run ac and don't really plan to

Thoughts?

Cheers

Just wondering on people's opinions of this as opposed to 4x4? I'm looking at going ways in a kit with a mate, and he can have my tent and I'll take the 5x5 and extra 600 hps. Will 2x600w hps lights penetrate enough to justify making the change?

Also have a 315w cmh I was going to run in conjunction with just one 600 hps, would it be worthwhile to hang in the middle between the two 600's?

Fan is 240cfm on high setting. Has mid and low. I don't run ac and don't really plan to

Thoughts?

Cheers

That’s a lot of light for a 5x5. I’d think Co2 would be necessary to utilize it. Would do better in a 4x8 or 5x9.

Only way I could see it being worthwhile is running the lights vertical right down the middle if they allow for it. If this is the case, I’d definitely want the extra 1’.

What style of hoods are you using? It would work if you can maintain the temp because heat will be an issue with 2 600s if not air cooled hoods

Cmoon

Summers coming most places, id run 1 x 600 and the 315, if you have to drop 1 lamp off in high temps its still a reasonable coverage. Id also suggest you need a good 700 cm3 to vent either space imo.

bests cmoon

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
if you stacked 2 cool tubes and did a cricle show , this would be a perfect setup - for a flat on the wall 5x5 id say youd want to go from the bottom of the branches and up to the ceiling for you vertical measurement
so if its a 8' tall tent id say my area would be 6.5x5 sf

not 25 but more 32.5 sf
for hps , 1625 watts is 50 wats per sf so ud prolly need that 315

but for a strict 5x5 thoise two 600s will be just right light wise
\
id still look into cool tubes to get the heat out as well

badseed77

I run 2 600w hps lights in a 5x5 . No cool tubes . Passive air intake from the bottom extraction at the top of the tent .
Just a fan sitting on the ground pushing the air up around the bareback lights . Works very well no problem with heat in my environment

Cheers fellas, I was wondering about the heat, might stick to 600 + 315 for now. Coming into winter here so could possibly get away with two 600's no cool tubes but..

Anyone got a link on how to stack cool tubes? Next grow I'd like to go two 600's with a 315 in between. I would buy tent specifically for it, what would be optimum size?

I also have a 6" centrifugal fan which I could wire on the low setting and connect to cool tubes. In which case I would need to run another carbon filter? Have that too.

Lastly and I'm assuming this is probably best bet - thoughts on a 4x8 tent (or slightly larger) with two 600w vert donuts vs triple stack? Could pair each 600 with a 315. Again would be facing possible heat issues...

chacaldubengale

you can use it in a 5x5 but you have to hang them high
you get a better repartition/efficiency over a 1000w
dont turn both light on at start or your plants will yellow and get sick
but if you have a adequate cooling system it will allow you to push lumens hard on the 2nd part of flowering and get enormous dense buds
better penetration than a single 600w too ..
thats a thing to consider, 2 600 would be overkill unless you grow 1 meter one buds or big trees

swapmeet

I think that you would be best off in that tent of running a 4x4 donut with a single vertical 600, and if they get tall enough, you can stack them... In a donut formation you don't need cool tubes because you have a fan blowing upward directly under the bare bulbs, so cool tubes are kind of moot. I point you to Aero's sticky https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=197502....he stacked a 315 and 600, I believe in a donut and pulled a couple pounds... Started in a cool tube then removed it.

Last edited:

I think that you would be best off in that tent of running a 4x4 donut with a single vertical 600, and if they get tall enough, you can stack them... In a donut formation you don't need cool tubes because you have a fan blowing upward directly under the bare bulbs, so cool tubes are kind of moot. I point you to Aero's sticky https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=197502....he stacked a 315 and 600, I believe in a donut and pulled a couple pounds... Started in a cool tube then removed it.

Cheers for that mate exactly what I wanna see. Running those watts as we speak and in need of inspiration. Think 2lbs might be pushing it but I'd be happy with even 24...