What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making hash with a sieve, enigma?!

Strudel

Hello everybody,one simple opinion please.i use to make sometimes hash extracting kiff with a cylindric sieve from little resin leaves growing around the buds and also small buds to little to spend time to clean it....

And from now nothing strange...but sometimes i got a good amount of kiff and sometimes very little ...at the same condition..

Is it true as i think that if you put this material you are gonna use in freezer before shake it in the cylindric sieve( i use a polen maker that you can find in ebay...) in my opinion must be TRULY DRY as i notice if is not very dry can create a bit of humidity inside the polen maker and the resin do not fall down from leaves ...

And is everytime ok to put this plant 's material for the kiff inside the freezer? Before putting it inside the sieve?

should i use only very dry leaves for making kiff if i decide to put it before in freezer?

Why i couldn't extract anything ...and other time a lot ? Can be just something connected with the dryiness of the leaves i was using.

What do you think american friends?

Stan G.

The freezer makes the gland more brittle, enabling it to fall from plant material more readily and prevents it from rupturing while you are performing the separation. The drier the better as the name dry sift implies. I have been experimenting with leaving a little bit of moisture in the leaves before freezing. I may get a cleaner product, with slightly less yield.

Limeygreen

Veteran
dry as possible will give you the best yield, you could also try putting the sieve in the freezer before using it so you have cold sieve and cold material to help with the contact of material on a cold surface rather than warm.

St. Phatty

In the past I have bought Stainless Mesh from TWP Inc.

It's pricey, about $6 per square foot, but it's lab grade and it comes in

REAL handy.

+ I can use the scraps to make new pipe screens. :woohoo:

Yarkand

You will always get some condensation in the freezer but an easy way to help is to wrap it up in a towel, takes a little longer to get cold and brittle. :tiphat:

Hobbyist

In the past I have bought Stainless Mesh from TWP Inc.

It's pricey, about $6 per square foot, but it's lab grade and it comes in

REAL handy.

+ I can use the scraps to make new pipe screens. :woohoo:

stainless is great, you can find some on aliexpress for cheap

H

HaHaHashish

i like to let my gear dry a long time, before i make my hash.

Yes, that's what the expert hash makers do, they sift several months after harvest, not weeks after. The plant material is ready to sift after a few weeks of drying, but the resin on it is still gooey and unsuitable for sifting. Sifting too early will let some of the resin become smeared on the plant material and on the mesh resulting in a lower yield. If you check out resin heads under magnification on a live plant, on a plant after several weeks drying and then after several months of cool, dark, dry storage you will notice changes in the trichomes or resin heads. They will go from full "balloons" filled with a semi liquid oil to harder, slightly shrunken "raisins" (well, not as shrunken as a raisin, but smaller and harder as the contents inside the trichome become drier) Magnification is the dry sifter's friend and guide, use it on live plants to the finished sift and all stages in between to know when to go and when to stop.

Happy Sifting!

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And some cultivars not good for sift. Check out constantconcentrates or erik nugshots on Instagram for great pictures of various trichome types. Note the variation in head, stalk and joint (can't recall the word).

H

HaHaHashish

"not good for dry sift" is a bit tough. It's just that some strains are better (and yield enormously and or the trichomes break off cleanly) but the buzz from all dry sift is far superior to the bud it came from.

Even rough dry sift is two or three times stronger than the starting material (the bud and resiny leaves) it came from and is healthier to smoke as there is a higher resin to plant matter ratio so you don't have to inhale as much smoke to get as high.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not my intention to give insult.

Some trichomes have a very thin connection to the stalk, others it is the width of the stalk and head. I have not confirmed it but one would expect a larger yield on the former.

Unless it produced an exceptional sift, I don't see why one would bother with the latter.

I prefer flower to most extracts myself, but I don't let my preference determine what I do or my work would become a bore. Testing out a variety of methods on each cultivar keeps it interesting.