What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

5x8 Purpose built perpetual room construction and grow log. 400W HPS NFT gully system

OvergrowingKiwi

On friday we had a huge earthquake in the city of Christchurch. Amazingly nobody died and only 2 serious injuries. Many houses will be without power and water for some time.. Theres also been about 50 aftershocks since then, some almost measuring the same as the initial quake. I'm glad I'm not there right now. The people are being taken care of and everybody is getting time off work to sort things out but I'm guessing a lot of indoor setups will be damaged.

earthq_1708615c.jpg
w-new-zealand-quake-cp-9328139.jpg

Back to the grow.....

Decided to make my cloning area on the less bright side of the cab underneath a 25w CFL. The mothers are under a 250w HPS bulb as I couldn't source the 250w MH conversion bulb I was after :p
I'll be cloning in rockwool cubes. I'm hoping the dome will get about 10 degrees hotter on it's own. Otherwise I'll have to get a heatpad.
Mothers are looking happy. I topped them to counter the stretch caused by the 250w hps.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I thought the Blue Mystic was female also but it turned out to be some weird new growth.. So still waiting for that to show. The NLxShiva is definitely a girl hairs popping up all over the place. Managed to get this shot of some hairs :)

attachment.php

Started feeding with half strength hydro nutes as plants weren't really responding to the blood and bone. Lower leaves started to look a little pale but the hydro nutes put a stop to this. Soil ph is around 6.5 according to my soil ph meter but I don't really trust it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• clones2.jpg
    clones2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 17
  • clones1.jpg
    clones1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 16
  • hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 15
  • clones3.jpg
    clones3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 15
Hey there OG Kiwi Bro.
Great to see another Kiwi on here! Always good to see someone that hasnt been completely put off by that operation lime bullshit! That earthquake down in Chch sure was fucked up aye, so close to home! MAde me put lotsd of thought into the fire risk of my own grow should an earthquake like that ever hit Welly! Went home that night from work and cable tied all my wires and super secured everything!

Anyway bro your plants are look wicked! Cant wait to see that NFT rig up and running. Switched On really are great for supplies! And that fan isnt it the prima one? Those are wicked as!

Anyway man I'll be checking in on this good luck!

OvergrowingKiwi

Cheers Kronical :) Good to see another kiwi!! I did the same thing after the quake first had to check on the plants as I had them sitting on small pots to keep them closer to the light lol.
Those are both prima fans kicking ass in there. The guys at switched on gardener were really keen on them too.

Operation Lime looked like a waste of time. It has done nothing for me but made me more cautious about buying growing stuff and I wont be the only one so they have just made their job already harder than it is lol They laid 750 charges against 250 people and found no methamphetamine..and about two real commercial grows What a waste of effort aye It's a shame..my last visit there wasn't the same... was just after the bail conditions were lifted. We chatted about our shared passion for indoor gardening but the trust was gone. It must be horrible for them wondering if each customer could be an undercover cop.

Cheers for stopping by bro :)

For those of ya curious about what Operation Lime is check these links out:

Undercover cops bust huge cannabis growing ring

Switched Off Gardeners

OvergrowingKiwi

balls!

balls!

I'm 90% sure the BM is a male.. Had a really hard time getting a shot of the tiny balls.. I'll take a clone and flower it elsewhere then save the pollen so I can make some seeds down the road :) This pheno has a really nice structure and such big fan leaves would be a shame to kill off it's genetics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ballz1.jpg
    ballz1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 15
  • ballz2.jpg
    ballz2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 15
Hey there bro.

Yeah Op Lime sure was a PITA. I happened to be at the hydro shop when the pigs came busting in with a search warrant. Naturally I was searched and my car was searched. They asked all the usual questions "do you smoke cannabis? do you grow cannabis? What are you doing at a hydro shop? If we get a search warrant for your house what are we going to find?" Mate I can tell you once they let me go I have never EVER driven home so fast to dispose of evidence. But they never came after all that! Anyway I moved house the next week and got power, phone, tenancy, sky etc in my mrs name. That was all months ago now and I havnt been hassled so all good.

Your plants are looking killer! Sucks about the male but atleast you got a female. Cant wait to see the setup running in all its glory with mum's, clones, and budding plants! Gonna be awesome.

Plants look super healthy too! You gonna try those new ferts SOG is selling in the yellow botle? Rumour has it they are pretty f*cken great! Unfortunately for them, sog turned me into a huge Canna fan just before they had their big falling out with them and refused to stock their products any more. So now I go to Easygrow etc and grab my nutes. Id love to try the Advanced Floriculture from SOG but Im dedicated to Canna now and if it aint broke...

Anyway yeah bro looking killer definately be tagging along for this one!

DUGG

Hi overgrow nice build mate im impressed ill pull up a chair for this one !

and kronikal those yellow bottles are freakn expensive! ill stick with canna

rocket high

Veteran
impressive stuff OGK ;)

i grow nft too but not the dutch style like you. ive got old skool multi-ducts but they work so am happy ....
Can you show me how you made your light proof vent :biggrin: ... because shanti's pics have been removed for a violation on photo bucket ...

good luck ogk

OvergrowingKiwi

impressive stuff OGK ;)

i grow nft too but not the dutch style like you. ive got old skool multi-ducts but they work so am happy ....
Can you show me how you made your light proof vent :biggrin: ... because shanti's pics have been removed for a violation on photo bucket ...

good luck ogk

Thanks bro! It's so great to get some feedback. With so many amateur commercial setups around these days it's hard to compete. At the end of the day if it works for us it's sweet. :D

Shanti's vents use a bunch of solid light killers. Simple but very effective. His pics and account have gone I hope he is just being cautious and nothing bad has happened.

attachment.php

paulkemp..... Appreciate your post but please take the time to read/skim the whole thread before posting :p

Attachments

• Lightvents.png
    Lightvents.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 16

rocket high

Veteran
Thanks for that OJK ..

very simple .... but effective huh .....

what size is your res ?
its easier to keep a big res stable (PH) wise ..little res's tend to be a pain to keep stable and over heat easily too .. but big res's are more expensive to change out if something goes wrong .

OvergrowingKiwi

Thanks for that OJK ..

very simple .... but effective huh .....

what size is your res ?
its easier to keep a big res stable (PH) wise ..little res's tend to be a pain to keep stable and over heat easily too .. but big res's are more expensive to change out if something goes wrong .

29 litre reservoir using a combo ph cf and temp probe would you say thats large? I've been thinking about adding additional trays and a central reservoir with bubblers in the future.

rocket high

Veteran
29 litre is quite small... my small res is 20 litres and was a pain in the arse the ph was rising every day and the temps were quite high as well . so i was constantly adding back to keep the ph down instead of using ph down which sterilises the tank and kills beneficial microbes ..which you dont want really . My big tank is 125 litres and didnt cause me such problems as the little res did so ive ditched the small res in favour of the big one .
Also the small tank will need replenishing every other day but a bigger one might only need to be replenished every week ...so its less work over all ...

good luck ogk

OvergrowingKiwi

Got a new toy :p Multi PH.EC.Temp monitor for the res. Runs off dc power and just sits there giving me accurate readings. It's not the best one out there but it can be calibrated and was a good price.

attachment.php

The shiva in the NLxShiva is really strong. Won't stop stretching... I'm thinking it's more the genetics than the hps. I repotted her on the diagonal and tied the beast down. Will clone her very soon.

Attachments

• beasttamed.jpg
    beasttamed.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 12
  • ecmeter.jpg
    ecmeter.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 14

DUGG

cool new toy there mate i have seen those forsale on a particular auction site .. great price!

Looking good OG Bro! Cant wait to see the girls in the hydro rig! I run hydro myself (the my buddy setup they've got at SOG) and I've been stunned by the rate of growth! Outdoes anything I ever saw in soil (no offence soil guys!). Do you know what nutes you'll be running in the hydro rig? I run Canna myself and am really impressed at the convenience and the quality of everything. 29 litre res should be more than enough for that litle NFT rig surely? I run a 29 litre res with my "my buddy" and it does fine.

Anyway bro good luck. Should get interesting now!

rocket high

Veteran
good to see you got a all in one meter :)
Iam still f*cking about with three different meters ...when ive got more $$$$ im going to get one ..for sure

i grew some nl last year and they do like to stretch, its the sativa in them am sure .it wasn't my cup of tea but others thought it was brilliant ... i like my indica's personaly ...small and strong ;)

Rocket bro. If you got the cash go for the Bluelab combo meter. Its what I run personally and I gotta say you definately get a way better meter for the cash! I can calibrate it and check it weeks later and its still spot on after testing every day.

OvergrowingKiwi

Big momma is getting too big. I'm going to clone her tomorrow. Will soak rockwool cubes in 1/4 strength nutes overnight and flush them with ph 6.5 water. Clones will be in the dome with heatpad.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 16
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 19

OvergrowingKiwi

Took 17 clones in total :) They seem happy in their new home. Heat pad is working great and I've also rigged up the new meter. Will go check on the dome temp soon. I put a jar of water at the same level as the rockwool and put the temp probe in it. Aiming for around 80F/25C

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• clones.jpg
    clones.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 15
  • clones2.jpg
    clones2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 15
  • rockwool.jpg
    rockwool.jpg