What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

? On QB Board 18g solid wire- Need to move driver

TWalker

The driver on my Kingbrite 240W lm301b v2 is the source of most of the heat in my tent at the moment. I need to move it out and it seems the only way is extend the 18g (I think) board to driver wire.

I believe this is 18g solid core. I have access to 18g red stranded auto wire.

Is this good or bad to use for an extra 1 or 2 feet?

Thanks

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I remote mounted the driver for my QB light, I used 14 gauge stranded wire.

As long as you go the same gauge or higher, you'll be fine.

(Be aware that higher gauged wire has a lower number.)

brickweeder

When I remote mounted the driver for my QB light, I used 14 gauge stranded wire.

As long as you go the same gauge or higher, you'll be fine.

(Be aware that higher gauged wire has a lower number.)

This is good advice. It is better to use 14g stranded than 18g between your remotely located driver and the light, as the distance from the driver to the light will be longer, which means a higher wire resistance and more potential to overheat. The thicker 14 gauge wire will prevent that, and it is commonly available. And if you are using 14g, stranded is fine.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I just recently setup some LED lights with the driver outside of the tent. I used solid core 18 gauge wire. The driver is feeding 4 Saber bars at 120w per one...so 480w total.

From what I’ve read, as long as you have a constant current driver you’ll be fine. If using a constant voltage driver, you’ll need to use larger wire.

https://hubbellcdn.com/brochure/Remote Mounting LED Drivers.pdf

picture.php
picture.php

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
This is good advice. It is better to use 14g stranded than 18g between your remotely located driver and the light, as the distance from the driver to the light will be longer, which means a higher wire resistance and more potential to overheat. The thicker 14 gauge wire will prevent that, and it is commonly available. And if you are using 14g, stranded is fine.
:dance013: what he said :dance013:

Latest posts

Latest posts