What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fasilitor Vs. Armor Si

KushTrees

northerngrafta, what are you pre-soaking? The medium you plug the slips into or do you pre-soak the slips before plugging them in the cubes? Also are you still using a powder/gel hormone like clonex or dip n grow?

I've used facilitor and I'm not thrilled with the price, but the stuff works well. Noticeable difference in size of buds and I also did not have as much stretch when I dbl dosed for the first 2 weeks

Just bought 8 5000ml bottles of fasilitor at wholesale price.. I've been using it for a while now and if you know your strains and which ones to give what app rates to you will crush it. yes its overpriced, even at wholesale, but it's worth its weight in gold if you're not some cheap ass crybaby..

Sodium Sunburn

I have used Fasilitor extensively did runs of the same clones with and without.

Some things I noticed:

1. Faster veg growth, marginal, yet noticeable.
2. Doubling dosage during weeks 1 & 2 do have an effect on reducing stretch.
3. Performs much better in soil than hydro.
4. Likes to "leach" or escape from the bottle after breaking the seal. Not really sure what that is about, I think they need to work on a better seal.

It is the best silica additive IMHO, that is because it uses a unique source: Silicic Acid

Apache Kush

My bro likes Armor- Si from GH

Cheaper than others,still improves better vegging, healthy, happy, less stressed, heat resistance, etc.

However, someone above mentioned it is not PAS (plant available silicon)
so... there is that, but it works so wtf?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Experts (those silly guys that wear white lab coats) explained to me that siliconization (conversion to PAS from most silica inputs) can take as little as week---or as long as a month or so--but not so with inputs containing PAS; that process can happen in a few days--maybe a week.

Two popular forms of PAS: amorphous silica (Diatomacious Earth--organic amendment) and monosilicic acid (an expensive ingredient found in some Potassium Silicate inputs, like Fasilitor--not an organic amendment).

But hey, who cares about being efficient--days vs weeks, all the same right? Simple anecdotal evidence...ever wonder why most Potassium Silicate feeding schedules eliminate that particular input several weeks before harvest?...sometimes weeks ahead of their other inputs? Hmmmm, can you spell "siliconization"?

Something to think about...cheers!

Apache Kush

I like the DE too!

but how much do you need to put in a soil mix to be effective again?
Sprinkle on top for a layer of protection from crawlers in the pots and get your silca boost, right.

Give some examples on how to apply it please and ty...mix in to soil ratio or just on top around the main stem

So the advantage is it, ''DE'' silconizations lol faster and what the hell it kills crawlers as a bonus eh?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I like the DE too!

but how much do you need to put in a soil mix to be effective again?
Sprinkle on top for a layer of protection from crawlers in the pots and get your silca boost, right.

Give some examples on how to apply it please and ty...mix in to soil ratio or just on top around the main stem

So the advantage is it, ''DE'' silconizations lol faster and what the hell it kills crawlers as a bonus eh?

Some people add just a wee bit, thinking they're good (like a tablespoon per gallon of soil)--which I say, "bless their heart"...at those rates very little is being contributed to the soil.

I read studies where 100-500 kg/ha were applied to field crops and yields jumped 10-30% and disease issues were eliminated. Container growing studies indicate similar results are obtained when DE is added 3-6% (by volume) to the grow medium (not top dressed but pre-mixed into the grow medium before transplanting). Me...I add the equivalent of 50 grams or 5 ounces (liquid measure) to every gallon of of my custom soil mix...or about 6%.

Since DE absorb liquids at high rates (70-140%) and is also an "anti-caking agent"--so expect a different soil consistency when DE is added at these high rates. Among other things, the soil's air/water porosity percentages will change causing a re-tweaking of the ratio of aggregates (which for me include ProMix, bark, compost, EWC, perlite, vermiculite, and calcined clay). BTW, I use food grade quality, "fossil shell flour"--as the diatoms are from fresh water...not ocean sourced. DE sold at Home Depot (for pool filters) is no bueno! It is ocean sourced and contains chemicals (say bye-bye microherd).

In addition to being a great absorbent, DE--also is a good source of minerals (including plant available Si) and is pH neutral (will not change the soil's pH).

Think 3-6% is high? Check out some of the calcined DE products used for amending soil--application rates are in the 20% range. Bonsai gardeners use 100% calcined DE--but don't be fooled! Calcined DE and Fossil Shell Flour have different consistencies. Calcined DE is granular/chunky (kitty litter size) where as Fossil Shell Flour (food-grade DE) is powdery--kinda like talcum powder.

Play around with it before converting your entire garden--let's just say it has been part of my arsenal for the past decade or so, but about 5 years ago I began using it at the 6% rate; noticeable improvement is all I will say...extremely noticeable...and cheap too, $30 for 50 lb at my local feed store.

Hope this helps!

BTW...the instructions on the Perma-Guard bag state--when used as an "anti-caking agent" for animal feed, not to exceed daily food ration by 2% (by weight).

Last edited:

Apache Kush

What about HYDROLITE?
A growing medium ammendment with 70% silca...

( Natural silca-based, volcanic MINERAL has a porus sturture that allows it told hold nutes until they are ready to be taken up by the plants. Abilty to retain essential nutes and aerates the growing medium at the same time! ) use ok w/ coco, Soil, peat moss.

+ aeration

+ highly porous

+ no toxic

-reusable

- 70% silica

- nutrient changed to balance CEC

+ Made in USA

$32.95- 1 cu ft

Yesca73

nice info in this thread
i have always used Botanicare silica blast and just switched to Gh silica
trying to get a sample of this fasilitor

D

Drek

Excellent thread and some great information. Learn something new everyday.

What I'm wondering is how much amorphous silica is already in my pre-bought, organic quality soil? Most soils by weight are 30-40% silica, so is there any need to amend extra PA silica into new soil?

However much of that content is amorphous, I don't know, but I'm thinking that any deficiency in PAS should show up as being a part of other deficiency onsets...