What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

METAL!!!!

thatguy

That's one hell of a trip for a show! But if your bro was playing, that makes sense!

Agreed, their live show IS kickass. But they always end up either opening for or openinig with the band I'm really end up there to see. I felt bad for them this time, having to open for a goddamn cartoon band. Not to say I don't like Dethklok, I do, but WTF? Soilent Green and Chimaira deserve to co-headline their own show!

FUCK YEAH!!!LOG!!!!

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
I won't list bands that are already here but below are a few I like. Not really sure what constitutes "real metal" these days so here goes:

Three Inches of Blood- Great for a road trip
Dragon Force- They have one hell of a drummer (more on the "glam" end if you ask me but I like it)
Nightwish- Kind of interesting with the chicks voice.

thatguy

Why does it have to be "real metal"? There are so many types these days, I'd say this thread is for all of them!

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
Frank - you kick ass my friend! I remember when 3 Inches Of Blood first got picked up by RoadRunner Records, no one knew them and they had a bit of a hard time but they seem to be getting a good fan base now. Glad to see people here at IC Mag can appreciate them.

thatguy - I can see your point on Dethklok but I have always asked myself this cause I cant find the answer online, did they write the music first or make the cartoon first? Regardless to me if its a cartoon or not - they have some AMAZING musicians and come comical lyrics

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
Soulfly22583- Yeah I love their stuff. I've had some friends that have listened to them longer than I have. I just heard their stuff last fall and it's f*ckin incredible. Been trying to make it to a show, but they never stop close to where I am. Someday,

Thatguy- The only reason I put that little disclaimer type statement is because I know some people that give me sh*t for it not being "real metal." It's nice to see people are a bit more open minded here.

TC84

Heres a link to a metal thread I started a year ago, has lots of good bands......http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=75467

Lately been jammin

Pantera - All :joint:
Hypocrisy - Live at Wacken DVD '98
Down - Bootleg DVD from Dallas '94
Dark Throne - Hordes of Nebbulah jams
GoatWhore :joint:
Ministry - N.W.O. and Just One Fix F'n rocks still after all these years
Sabbath :joint:
Corpse :joint:
Opeth
Slayer

Gotta say that the new Slipknot song, Pshycosocial, is catchy and I like it, there I said it, just don't tell anyone!! LOL :asskick: :fsu: :asskick:

Last edited:

thatguy

Soulfly, I think the cartoon and the music were created together.

Brendon Small is a music major from the berkley school of music, and is Dethklok (except for drums), and most of it's member's voices.

ToKEN

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
PhenoMenal said:
huh??? Tool is metal ???

maybe not so much anymore, I look to give them their own genre 'orchestrated metal' but I'd say in the opiate days, yes, they were metal

MyAssIsGrass

?_?
Veteran
I was listening to Through The Ages by Bolt Thrower when I read that^ :D

Some great bands listed here (glad White/Rob Zombie & Dethklok got a mention), I used to be into thrash like Pantera, Metallica, Sepultura, etc but over time I've moved more into prog and black

Some bands I like not mentioned yet:

Bathory
Gojira
Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend solo stuff
Anything by Dan Swano (Moontower album, Edge Of Sanity, Nightingale)
Kittie
Ayreon
Borknagar
Arcturus
Deadsy
Samael
Threshold
(hed) P.E (no flaming please :wink:)

Last edited:

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran