What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thrips 101: Introduction to Western Flower Thrips

Rabbi

Just gave em their first spray. cant wait to check them out in a couple hrs. Ive literally had thrips for over 10 years.

Seriously dont know what id do without this place.

Just fwiw, I been told that beneficial nematodes (normally used for root aphids and fungus gnats) work really well as a preventative against thrips. My friend has stopped spraying with Captain Jacks altogether since introducing the nematodes into his soil. I don't know much about them, just wanted to throw that out there. YMMV

Husky Jackal

Very Neat Monster
Veteran
I'm pretty sure I have thrips on my outdoor ladies. Untill I get my hands on Spinosad, I made a recipe to hopefuly keep them under control. I finely chopped a whole garlic bulb, a red hot pepper and mixed them with 2.5 litres of boiling water. I will let it sit for 24 hours and then use it. My question is: should I dilute this stuff and then use it ? If yes, how much ? When I open the lid, the stuff stinks like hell and it makes my eyes wet...
Peace, HJ.

Last edited:

Husky Jackal

Very Neat Monster
Veteran
Ok, I'm like in a desert in this part of the forum...
I ordered a local product called Laser 240 SC which is Spinosad at 240 grams/litre. On the label they mention dosage for crops like potatoes, grapevines, tomatoes. Which should I choose ?
Then, I'm sure I have thrips because I saw their damage and black shit on the leaves. But I read that thrips can't be seen. And the only creatures I've seen on my plants are some slender small black insects(ant size) with small wings and a pointy ass. Are these thrips ?

Looked at my clones today and saw the silver trails.....first thing that popped into my head was this thread!!

Just want to make sure that spinosad is what I'm going to need and these are indeed thripes ...caught one under the 60x scope with my camera...

thanks for looking.

Also...wonder where they came from? I run RDWC with hydroton and have never seen a thripe before in my life.....all my clones come from my mothers which I've also never seen a thrip on before...why the sudden outbreak on all my clones/mothers? Maybe one just floated in :needcoffee:

Attachments

• 2012-09-06 01-21-00 105.jpg
    2012-09-06 01-21-00 105.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 40

vukman

Veteran
Looked at my clones today and saw the silver trails.....first thing that popped into my head was this thread!!

Just want to make sure that spinosad is what I'm going to need and these are indeed thripes ...caught one under the 60x scope with my camera...

thanks for looking.

Also...wonder where they came from? I run RDWC with hydroton and have never seen a thripe before in my life.....all my clones come from my mothers which I've also never seen a thrip on before...why the sudden outbreak on all my clones/mothers? Maybe one just floated in :needcoffee:

Yup, that's the infamous what I call 'cooties'. They usually come in on clones but since you say your clones and mothers are clean, I can only suspect that they came in from outdoors.
Spinosad is the #1 used insecticide on them. I personally used Pyrethrin and Neem Oil only because Spinosad is impossible to get where I live so I'm waiting on a delivery from Ebay........just in case of 'next time'.

Good Luck
vukman

C

cyber echo

Any idea where I can get some spinosad over in europe guys ?
I've searched tons but I've yet to find a european website with spinosad that delivers internationally within europe.
Is it banned over here in europe or something ?

Can't kill these goddamn thrips no matter how much pyrethrum/etc i throw at them they just keep coming back.

THCello

Some pictures broken-
Continuing elsewhere on my search for thrips nymphs.
Awesome thread!

Yep, I found a single brown thrip nymph,
From what I found elsewhere,
it is indeed the WFThrip?

I've got a jug of ERZTolerence,
is this enough in foliar spray form to combat this, very small,
infestation? What about their soil cycle?
Nothing offends me more than root pests..

sneaky_g

I noticed a few thrips on my new clones about 2 weeks vegging, I purchased both spinosad and azamax .. Does anyone know the application rate for dunking an entire plant in azamax .. was gonna use a home depot bucket but not sure at what rate i should dunk.. I'm thinking i'll foliar the bigger plants that are too big to dunk with spinosad,

any recomendations please?

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
1.spray both the tops and bottoms of each leaf thoroughly.
2. spray stems, new growth, etc...
3. spray soil until nice n moist
4. step back and watch those fuckers die!

sneaky_g

done done done and DONE !

!!! now to wait .. should i follow up with an azamax drench in a few days? than hit it a 2nd time with the spino foliar ?

sneaky_g

This time at 1 tbsp per gallon could i water the plants with the spino in it as a soil drench to make sure i get the hatchlings?

GroBot810

I used azamax and it worked great.sprayed and root drenched.put some sticky traps and a little tanglefoot.the azamax was organic..that's why I went with that particular treatment.is spinosad organic? Ive never heard of it.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Keep the azamax...you mite need it later for those other rat bastards if and when they come..Spinosad is organic, a bacterial extractase... So is anthrax and botulism toxin though so that (organic or bacterial extract) isn't a measure of safety. We need to use multiple methods of action otherwise we will lose this great tool (spinosad) too. The stuff is wonderfully effective. Use weekly alternating sprays of garlic and neem oils and the spinosad as well as other essential oil mixes like lavender, rosemary and mint etc. to prevent survivors of one application from propagating with resistance.