What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing some Ganja

Anjey

Set up the beginnings for some ganja growing, have been looking forward to beginning again with some Ace genetics:

Zamaldelica, Lebanese, and Snow Moon.

Lebanese to the left, Zamal in the middle left to front and Snow Moon right.

The Lebanese have been nice to watch grow:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Anjey :)

Thanks for choosing ACE genetics for your current grow, much appreciated!
You have chosen quite different strains, different smokes with different qualities which should produce a good balance of finished product at the end of the grow.

Snow Moon will grow more compact than Zamaldelica and Lebanese so take it in consideration, especially for the end of growing stage and flowering stage. Best wishes!

Anjey

Thanks Dubi, appreciate it. I also ordered Red Sapphire last night, what a beautiful special seeming plant. I will start them next. Amazing work you do.

I do have 3 4x4 beds in the works so the strains will each get their own bed. Just saw your post Dubi in the Erdpurt thread regarding topping indicas early. Indeed the Snow Moons were quite slowed down by the earlier topping relative to the sativas. My temps are a bit low, it has been around 5f outside and 65f in the room. Temps should be going up as we build the rest of the room and heat it around the veg room we made. Soil was put together very haphazardly as I got here in the winter, bringing some soil culture filled with earthworms, aged manure and charcoal and hopefully Rhizophagus irregularis, and a red wiggler worm bin. We saved our bones for a few weeks and made a charcoal pit for some extra carbon, collected shells from the ocean to pound, found a local with some cow manure compost available, and I did buy some peat moss to flush it out - something I did not love doing with the acidity factor in particular. I don't have a ph meter so I pretty much throw in what I hope is the correct amount of ash, carbon, bone, shells, to up the PH. (I know this is a bold move) In the long run once I am more settled our soils will greatly improve with time and as we increase our access to land and animals. My idea rather than focusing on the specific nutrient profile of a type of soil is to create soils through worms, cow manure, cover cropping and rotations that will be extremely rich and filled with humus as well as pliable and aggregated. I think this sweet well composted soil (in time) could help enable the plants terpenes to reach their potential without the interference of rapidly evolving soil.

Excited for this grow, I will keep posting updates and questions as they come up, always appreciate the help the community is willing to give each other here.

Anyone have any advice for best ways to save male pollen?

Last edited:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Enjoy, I'm looking forward to seeing your grow. Peace

soil margin

Veteran
Nice pics Anjey. Sounds like some sweet exotic genetics you got there. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of the Lebanese and Zamadelica.

Anjey

Thanks ya'll, will keep the updates coming - I fixed a mistake, am using a new light and just compeleted the veg room about a week ago they are in - the light reset itself and was only about 35% power for several days I think. Anyhow that fix and others and its now about ~75f 65% humidity which I am happy with. I'll post a picture again soon, excited to see these start flowering.

G

Hi brother! Glad to see you post a journal,gonna be great!
Regarding the pollen,I guess that you could save in some paper or Ziplock bag and then in a jar filled with rice in the freezer.Humidity is the enemy.

Good luck my friend!

Anjey

Hello all, thanks Syd...

It has been a bit of a rough start for these plants. They had some 50f days and nights. I used a lot of peat moss to cut the soil I had. I usually use real soil but the ground is too frozen to get enough and I was rushing to start. I also bought ph strips and found out my water comes out of the tap at around 5.5, which I was adding to an already pretty acidic soil. The plants got pretty stunted and wonky looking, they also went through a nitrogen deficiency as I couldn't get the beds for them done on time. Now the beds and room are mostly finished. They got transplanted 3 days ago. Here is where they are at now:

Why so yellow?

Hopefully the soil they were transplanted into is much better for them. The environment is set. There are earthworms galore from an older soil and all kinds of nice stuff in there. It has been cover cropped, but the mix is very fresh and not ideal. But a start to a many years long process. Rough for these plants for sure, root bound, nitrogen deficient, too acidic, too cold, some of my theories as to why. I am hoping things will improve now, but any advice is appreciated.

soil margin

Veteran
Love the bed setup there. I would assume the yellowing is plants recovering from nitrogen deficient soil and perhaps a little bit of an acidic mix. Some strains seem to yellow a lot more under the same conditions.

Anjey

Thanks ya'll appreciate it...I hope so.

I am excited about the beds too! I'll take a bigger pic of the room later on. Soil hasn't got the best drainage but I'll let it go through solid drying out cycles. Aerating some worm juice tea now for the first watering in a couple of days... hopefully soil structure develops and the fungus bacteria and worms do their good work and the future grows go a bit smoother.

Anjey

I think things are looking better. Had to remove and kill a bunch of males from the beds. I put them in there early bc of their poor soil situation before hand. I ended up with unfortunate ratios on the Zamaldelica and Lebanese - 3/11 females for both. The Snow Moons 7/12. Going to have some wasted space in these beds for sure, but is what it is for the first round while getting things set up and more plants going.

I had some problems with low temps in the beginning and various other stresses. Could this have anything to do with the sexes of the plants or is it not a factor?

Some plants started flowering very early from the Lebanese as well as one Zamal. I did have some problems with light as well at this time, I think the time cycle was appropriately long at 17hr+, but on around 30% power so very weak. I am wondering if they are showing autoflower like tendencies, I think I've read the Zamal has this potential? Or could it have been stress? I was thinking of crossing the fast Zamal with a Leb and trying to grow them outdoor in my cold climate if they trigger flowering so early...

Here are the chosen boys anyhow:

This one very vigorous pulled him out of the soil and repotted:

This one the very fast/early

Leb boy:

Anjey

Snow moons and a Zamal back left (is how the spacing worked out this time around, the other bed has some more empty spaces)

Snow Moon:

Zamal

Leb:

Anjey

Snow Moons, Zamaldelica back right
picture.php

Snow Moon11, getting huge and stretchy

picture.php

Two of the Zamals:

picture.php

picture.php

Anjey

Lebanese:
picture.php

The next round of seedlings: 5/6 Red Sapphire fem, 3/3 Kali China x Zamal fem, 11/12 Golden Tiger and 10/12 Bangi Haze all started direct in soil

picture.php

7/7 Oldtimers Haze started in the bed into 12/12:
picture.php

G

Looking sweet Anjey ! :)

The soil seems to be working great now!The fast zam x leb could be really good in terms of fast finishing and effect.

I would also like to know Dubi's take on the male/female ratio, the early deficiencies might be the culprit...

CowboyTed

I'm glad to see that the deficiency seems to be cured!

I have some of the same strains growing here, and I recall reading in the Lebanese thread that they are subject to semi-auto flowering, especially in small pots.

I don't recall reading that Zamaldelica does it too, but I haven't read the entire Zam thread yet. There's a lot to digest in that thread! (Mostly, what I want to digest is one of Tangwena's Zamaldelica cobs!)

Anjey

Hey thanks for stopping by. The soil a fun living body to cultivate itself.

The fast Zamal boy who seemed to switch into flowering around the same time as the Lebs has been crossed in and I see a good amount of seeds. I'll try some outdoor this summer. Oh yeah and I'd like to try one of those cobs too :p I will try to make some this summer after corn harvest.

SM:
picture.php

Another SM:
picture.php

Bushy Zam boy from above:
picture.php

Snow Moon getting very "frosty":
picture.php